The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel 5 Weights

Just out of curiousity, why do you need it in so many pieces? I took a 9' 5 wt. with me on an airline flight last Fall and carried it on. A 6 pc. 8' 6" rod should fit in your pocket almost.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieoutlaw View Post
Anyone know where to find a CT 5 wt 6pc? I also have the 3wt which is a nice rod.
The inventory of discontinued CT's seems to be winding down, but keep an eye out on the auction website for any stragglers.

The same rod has been renamed the Tempt for this model year, and it lists at retail for $190. You should be able to find them at most Redington dealers.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Just out of curiousity, why do you need it in so many pieces? I took a 9' 5 wt. with me on an airline flight last Fall and carried it on. A 6 pc. 8' 6" rod should fit in your pocket almost.
For me, I like packing the rod in the suitcase for travel and backpack for backcountry fishing. The size difference is significant to me but the performance difference is negligible on my 6 pc CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
The inventory of discontinued CT's seems to be winding down, but keep an eye out on the auction website for any stragglers.

The same rod has been renamed the Tempt for this model year, and it lists at retail for $190. You should be able to find them at most Redington dealers.
I spent $82 per rod on my new CTs. I just can't bring myself to pay double!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Good luck with the Stowaway. My personal experience with them has been less than great, but maybe I am too picky.
These get overwhelmingly positive reviews online. I'm curious to hear your criticisms.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:47 AM

mountainangler is on a distinguished road

Hi, I was in possession of all three rods. "And the winner is....... Albright" Since Five years is this my absolute favorite Rod. Smooth, nice Swing Weight and affordable! The other multible Piece Rods are too stiff and irksome! Look at Yellowstone Angler Shooter Out 5# 2009. i can agree with that! Got now 4 A5 !
Gruss aus der Schweiz,René
Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 7 piece March Brown Hidden Waters 9'0" 5 wt. that used to travel with me all the time in the saddle bags of my Triumph Bonneville. It's a nice rod, certainly medium action and packs down to about 13", I think.

I bought it about 4 years ago; I haven't heard a lot about the company recently. But, they look like they're having a pretty good sale right now............

Fly Rod Sale

Pocono
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Back in my wilderness back packing days I had a 5 piece fiberglass Scott Pow-R-Play with an LRH and it was a surprisingly fine outfit which employed ingenious hollow spigot ferrules intended to enhance the taper (hence the "Ply" in the name). I travel a lot on airplanes to fish and carry multiple three and four piece rods as carry on luggage in a 6" diameter hard carry tube. I suppose where I traveling via motorcycle (in which case my trip would be at least as much about the bike as fishing) a 5, 6 or 7 piece rod (I think the old Hardy Smuggler is 7 pieces) such a compromise would be within reason. However, if fishing is my intent rather than, "I'll try to squeeze a morning on the local creek in...", I am going to stick with a 4 piece rod.

Much better than they used to be, 4 piece models are the dominant design today but that does not mean the ferrules do not affect the action. Simply cast a 4 piece Zenith next to its 1 piece equivalent and it will blow your mind! I did that with my beloved Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 next to its 8'10"/#4 one piece sibling at Somerset this January and, though I will continue to plane travel with the 4 piece, I have my heart set on the 1 piece version for travel by car (it easily will fit in my old VW Passat Fish Wagon). Yes the old Redington, newer Albright 5 piece rods are not bad back-ups, I have two: a 5-weight which is pretty good and an 8-weight which is less so, but even with improved and computer aided design, the more ferrules the worse the rod. A 9' 4 piece rod easily fits in my wheeled duffel and, if not in yours, you should be shopping for new luggage not a compromise rod. If I still had the physical ability to back pack up into either head water area of the Bob, I would strap an 8 1/2' 4-piece rod to my pack because, if I were lucky enough to ever fish the upper Flathead or better yet, Sun, ever again I would want a great rod, not a compromise, along for the experience.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

If it were me I'd seek out an old Sage 589-5 SP Great stick in a small package.
Meatco1 likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Travel 5 Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
If it were me I'd seek out an old Sage 589-5 SP Great stick in a small package.
I couldn't agree more. The SP was a top of the line rod in its day, and remains so still.

Respects,

Richard
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

I agree with Logic1; I have had an Albright A5 5wt 9' which casts right up there with my Winston B3x and Sage SLT. You can buy the newer version, which is the same as mine, for about $150.00.
barham