The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 AM

flyfishingbum is on a distinguished road
Default Travel 5 Weights

I'm interested in an 8' 6" travel rod that is a 5 weight. I'm interested in one of the following...

- Orvis Frequent Flyer
- Cabelas Stowaway
- Albright A5-NS

I would like a rod that is definitely a mid-flex, not a tip-flex - something that has some feel for short casts, reach casts, etc. (I've also looked at a Redington Classic Trout 6 piece but that was a bit soft.)

Which of the above rods is mid-flex?

I know it isn't a 5 or 6 piece rod, but I have been looking at the Echo Carbon 5 weight in the 8' 6" length. What is the action on this rod like - is it a mid-flex?

Is there maybe something else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for the insights!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Travel 5 Weights

The Orvis Frequent Flyer is described as a mid-flex on their website. I believe it is the same blank as the old 7-piece Trident TL, which I bought when it was discontinued a few years ago. If so, it is a bit tip-heavy because of the extra weight of all the ferrules. However, this may also be true of the others you are looking at as well -- it's also true of a 6-piece TFO Pro 9' 6 wt I have, for example. I find you can correct that problem by balancing it with a heavy reel (mine is a Redington AS).
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have cast both the Orvis and Albright rods you are asking about: the Orvis is, and I say this without prejudice, terrible. The Albright is surprisingly nice and not too fast.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM

logic1 is on a distinguished road

I have an Albright N5 6 weight that I use for streamers, nymphing, pretty much everything. I got it for a spare/travel rod and have ended up using it most of the time. Not a super fast rod and very affordable.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Personally, I'd look for a Redington Wayfarer. 5 pc. Discontinued but often on ebay. Or, trout unlimited gear reduction (donate tab) as an outfit. $175 Outstanding 5 pc, med fast rods. I own them in 3 through 8 wt for travel. (which I do 30 plus weeks a year)

copy & paste from tu.org:
Redington Wayfarer Fly Rod & GD Reel Combo - 9', 5 Wt., 5-piece Rod

Donation amount: $175.00
Retail value: $200.00

Package contains one 9', 5 Wt., 5-piece Wayfarer fly rod with Redington GD 5/6 titanium reel, WF-5 fly line, 100 yds. of 20 lb. Dacron fly backing, and a rod/reel case.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Well, the Stowaway is on sale for $99 right now. It made the choice easy for me, a new 8wt is on the way!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

s&s,
just curious why the orvis was that bad.
i've considered this rod for extended hiking/canoe trips,
and i would love to hear your critique

casey

ARFE
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with the Stowaway. My personal experience with them has been less than great, but maybe I am too picky.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Another one to consider is the Redington CT 9' 5wt, 6piece version. Extremely portable, very low priced these days and has a pleasing action (mid to soft flex)
I have the 8' 3wt version of this rod and love it.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Anyone know where to find a CT 5 wt 6pc? I also have the 3wt which is a nice rod.