The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Albright Products

Moucheur, You are very knowledgeable and well informed about this Albright lineage. One thing though that I am not aware of is the sharing of the Nti's Nano technology with EXS, taper yes, Nano no...I will inquire about this next time I encounter said principle. Tradewinds, aptly named Chinese-sourced lackluster rods never went anywhere (I too have a #4 and 5 lying around here somewhere little used beyond the test phase). The current EX rods are fabricated by the same fine Korean rod shop that built EXS and the tapers were developed by two knowledgeable saltwater guides. One of these men accompanied me on a Bahamian bonefish trip and brought several of the 8-weights along during late-stage development. Honestly, not casting them side-by-side as my beloved EXS #8 broke in Andros earlier (a separate story), I believe I liked the EXS better but the new EX rod is very good, especially at the current price. I totally agree about the absurd "lie" of some lofty MSRP, forget and ignore! I am under the impression that these on sale EX's are not expanding into a model line up as Albright hopes to introduce an even more technologically advanced series of rods...my guide friend is very excited about this potentiality but is not involved at all in the company's perpetually on sale marketing strategy.
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

That's good to know, S&S. I find your testimony about their EX rods more credible than their own website, even though you and I have never met except anonymously here -- and that's exactly why their implausible pricing strategy is such a bad idea. It ruins their credibility when they try to say other things. It makes them the boy who cried 'wolf'.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

if anyone is interested, there is a mint 14' 9 wt. albright spey rod on the big auction site selling at a good price.
it is the same model as the one dan mentioned earlier in this thread(gp).

casey

ARFE
Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM

snook will become famous soon enough

mocheur wrote: "Yes, it's a huge distraction and casts a completely unnecessary dark cloud over the company and its products. They could be building an honest reputation for good products at attractive prices. Instead, the merits of their products tend to get overshadowed by questions about corporate integrity."

It could be that we're all a bit dim and that offering a quality product at a "deep discount" under a wildly inflated retail price is the stuff of marketing genius, but I don't think so. At best it's a short-term strategy that may induce a flurry of sales among a gullible minority, but the anglers I know are a discerning group who are quick to share opinions, so it's a safe wager that in the end it will do the brand more harm than good. Probably already has. So...I don't see it as a question about integrity but rather intelligence.

All of that said, I'm in the market for a quality, modestly priced, tough-ass 8-weight for use in the Everglades and on Andros, and—beyond the TFO Axiom and possibly the Redington Predator—the Albright EXT has my attention. I'd be obliged to anyone who can share their experiences and/or opinions on that specific rod. And I acknowledge that, after my diatribe above, an Albright product making my short list might be proof that there's genius at play in their maligned promotional approach, after all.

And that my own intelligence is, by extension, suspect.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:28 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Snook, As I said somewhere above, I fished this current Albright 8-weight in Abaco for an afternoon and it is a solid piece of work; fast action and lots of power with high quality (REC) components. Is it a Loomis NRX?, no way but it is better than the BVK #8 we have in our bonefish quiver.