The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommendations for a 1 wt.

Having said on more than numerous occasions that I'd never fish anything lower than a 3 wt., here I am contemplating a lower weight rod; a 1 wt.

I've encountered a lot of tiny books in the area where I live and have seen native Brookies taking bugs on the surface, so I know they're there.

I'm talking 4-6" fish with, potentially, an 8" "Monster", but likely many more fish on the smaller side. The brooks are only 3-4' across at their widest points and they're all steep gradient with lots of small waterfalls followed by fairly deep pools (for a 3-4' brook).

So, I'm thinking that my trusty Sage 7'6" ZXL 3 wt. is probably over-kill in this type of situation. It won't be far from dapping and although it probably has Tenkara written all over it, I'm not going to go there at this point.

So, for those of you who fish the lower weight rods, what are your recommendations. I'd be looking for a full flex rod so that I can get a good presentation over a very short distance. A 20' cast is going to be out of the ordinary in these fishing environments.

I can tell that I'm going to make a purchase; I looked over all of the small fish gear at my local Fly Shop yesterday and stocked up on #18 and #20 Caddis patterns............I've already got the tiny winged wets covered............

Pocono
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recommendations for a 1 wt.

So winter is in full effect around here, all of us are adding to or thinking about adding to the arsenal.

I have 1wts and for the most part tried not to spend a ton on them since they don't get out very often here in Colorado due to the wind.

First 1wt I had was a TFO Finesse, it would definitely fit the bill as full flex. It was just to soft for my casting ability back when I had it. I sold it just cause I couldn't cast it, again probably more me than the rod

I then bought an Elkhorn traveler 1wt and absolutely loved it. Several of the guys at the shop I frequent all have them even though the rest of their quivers are the usual, Winston, Sage etc etc. I would have never sold it but my wife bought me a TXL-F 1wt this Christmas. I have it set up with a Sage Click II and Rio LT DT and so far in yard casting tests it feels great.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I have a St Croix Imperial 6' 2 wt. Measured with the CCS system, though, it's a 1 wt - very soft.

I like it and use it on lots of small streams.

I've also caught fish as large as 13-14" browns and rainbows with it with no problems.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Do not own a one but have used my buddies Orvis Superfine 1 wt. it is a 6ft 3 piece and a full flex rod. It makes a 6inch native into a formidable adversary! Havjng used it on several small trickles in the area I CAN TELL YOU ITS A BLAST!The only problem I have is getting the 28s tied up on the leader ! Least of my worries. Real fun little stick!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good enough excuse to buy another rod. Here's a 2wt shootout, but it might be a little dated: CLICK HERE

EDIT: Seems like the South Fork Classic 2wt was NOT the overall winner in that shootout (as I had thought two minutes ago), but finished near the top with an ERN of 1.12. If you go by those numbers, that rod would be a 1wt.

P.S. I'm going back and looking at the ERN numbers for the top finishers in that shootout, and the Hardy ALN has an ERN of .89. Sounds like another rod to consider.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Sounds like a good enough excuse to buy another rod.

..............looks like you're onto me, Frank...........

Pocono
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM

jborn is on a distinguished road

I often fish small streams in NM with a Sage three piece 0wt. I think it is a TXL but I am not sure of the model number. The rod carries a Sage 0wt reel and it is a joy to fish. I have caught stocker rainbows up to 14 inches with no problem, but most of my catch is much smaller browns. My 12 and 14 year old grandsons love the rod and are quite successful when using it.

In the right situation a light weight rod really increases the pleasure of fishing.

jlb
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

My 1 wt TFO Finesse is a hoot to fish with. It makes the small fish so much fun to catch. Still can bring them in for release without tiring them to much. You will not be sorry getting such a light rod to chase those little fish. I never leave home without mine even if I don't expect to use it. Don't worry about casting it as the fish I'm after are on not on the other side of a large river; usually don't need to cast more than 10 -15 feet if that far.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
..............looks like you're onto me, Frank...........

Pocono
Looks like Frank is....right
Will you take it to fish on the Marguerite?...hope the wind won't blow
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Recommendations for a 1 wt.

So many choices...I love my Superfine Touch 1wt, but I also really like my Hardy Aln 2wt. The Aln is glass and is really really slow action and 1ft shorter than the Touch. I also have a Superfine Trout Bum that is the stiffest of the 3, and consequently has the most backbone to make the occasional longer cast. I choose depending on my mood, and the wind, and the foliage around where I'm going to be fishing. Either way you go, they are fun little sticks!