The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First fly rod

If you want to buy her a nice rod, and think she's going to stick with it, you might consider picking up a good used Sage RPL, SP, SPL, or ZXL. I've been fly-fishing for 50+ years, and each of these rods is a keeper for sure. All were top of the line rods, all excellent moderate actions, and all terrific rods for beginners thru experts!!

That being said, I do have a Sage "One" 490-4, and am still trying to get a feel for it.

Respects,

Richard

Last edited by Meatco1; 03-01-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I used the Orvis Access 905-4 5wt 9FT 4pcs Mid-Flex as my learning rod. I found it very forgiving and helped me to find my timing and the feeling.
I paired it with the Access IV reel and Rio Gold line.
I think if she can splash our $ for Sage One, she would be able to get the Access Combo kit.

The Access 905-4 is as light as my Helios 905-4 but not as good as the Helios. However, I think it would be a good enough all around rod of a start up rod for her.
I can't comment about Sage, since I only use Orvis and Lamson
Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
I just dont understand some people, .
Me either. Gary was trying to tell him that dropping $750 on a rod that is not for a beginner is going to be a bad idea. First of all it will make it less enjoyable for her and harder for her to learn on. Now if fishing with him is her idea and he is looking for a good way to get some alone time with out it being her idea, then yah, drop $750 on the Sage, he'll get a new rod and the alone time he seeks.
gt05254 likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:12 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
...a rod that is not for a beginner is going to be a bad idea.
Dan, I donít mean to sound like a prick but why not for a beginner? This is your opinion, I bought a rod that I can cast the best, sure it was an $850 rod but it is a damn good one. Why, should it be justifiable by us to decide how much money he should spend? If she can cast it and she likes it and she is a beginner why is it not for a beginner?

I personally think that a lot of fly fishermen out there push the cheap stuff onto us beginners and I honestly canít help but feel this way as it has been proven time and time again, different stores, different fly fishermen, different salesmen. I donít mean to offend anyone by saying this but I think a lot of the ones I spoke to and try and talk me down are basically saying "look here I couldnít afford this when I started out so you shouldnít either". Why? Whatís wrong with a $850 rod? If its good for a professional why not me? Sure I wonít get to feel the difference of improvement because I start out at the top, but why spend $200 this year $400 in the next few years and then $800 5 years down the road on rods by improving. So you just wasted $600 by "learning" and jumping through the hoops of being told wrong.

I say go get a nice rod and spend the money and enjoy it, if you can cast it well and the rod is forgiving and feels great. Why not?
rockriver likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dan, I don’t mean to sound like a prick
But you did anyway.

Quote:
I don’t mean to offend anyone
Really?
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Hey, 1move, take a deep breath. exhale slowly. think happy thoughts.
yikes.

Now, I'm going to show you a photo of a bunch of fly rods. Orvis. Sage. Loomis. Scott. Thomas & Thomas. Echo. Single and two-handers. They are mine. 45 years experience.
I strongly suspect guys like Dan and the others have very similar collections. One could infer from the photo that maybe the guy a. knew a little about fly rods and b. might have some decent advise/experience to offer up. Not showing off my toys. Trying to make a not so subtle point.

Click the image to open in full size.

The OP asked for help, and I think (and I bet he does, too) he got some.
So chill.
Gary

LOL, and that's my dog's little white bear, not mine.
Guest1, caseywise, 1move and 1 others like this.

Last edited by gt05254; 03-01-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
But you did anyway.

Really?
So Dan you can dish out insults but you cant answer my question?
Quote:
...a rod that is not for a beginner is going to be a bad idea.
Whatís so wrong with a beginner having a great rod?

I didnít mean to offend anyone and those were not my intentions so I apologize for you misunderstanding my argument. My argument is why should a beginner start at the bottom? Why not get the good stuff right off the start?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

OK, one more try:

"Why not get the good stuff right off the start?"

Because in this instance it is very likely the wrong stuff.
Gary
Guest1 and 1move like this.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Hey, 1move, take a deep breath. exhale slowly. think happy thoughts.
yikes.
Gary
Gary, thanks! I am calm. Is there some information I am missing? A rule? A catch 22? Where a beginner should be shunned for using good equipment? By all means whoever can afford it go for it. I will be happy for you and the next guy if you can get the good stuff go for it. I am not trying to be an ******* just want an answer why is it so bad for someone starting out to get a good rod, or equipment for that matter?

This is how I view it, a new driver wants to buy a new car and likes Audi or BMW but you say no you dont need to spend the kind of money to get you from point A to point B. Here is a Pontiac Sunfire it will do the job and you will save yourself a ton of money. Great right, saved money and got a car to get the job done. The time you will enjoy the drive = Never! Because you got sold something you did not want.

It is about enjoying fishing and enjoying the sport, connecting with nature and the fish. Not about who spent what on gear, so why guide someone down the path they dont want to take? If we caught the same fish with an expensive or a cheap rod it will be the same experiance at the end of the day, we caught a fish. But if you get the stuff you want you will enjoy it 10 times more and in the long run spend less

Sorry guys I am still a tad bitter about my own experiance and this is why I am ranting on about it.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

But Gary..... You mean you can't become an expert and overnight sensation by just tossing money at it? Darn! I had a fat wad of cash I was going to drop on a top end skate board so I could go win this years X Games.

Does this mean I can't tell Tony Hawk he's full of ****?

That rod requires a better caster. She won't like it. You can drop a fat wad of cash on a very expensive rod that will work better for a beginner. Is there a price cutoff that does not make you mad?

Edit. You are mistaking price for 'best'.
gt05254 likes this.