The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First fly rod

OK so let me get this, you dont know if she will even like this sport/hobby, yet you are just going to go full force and do this type of stuff for her? No offense, but that to me is a bit odd. Again I'd look at going a cheaper route and make sure she likes it, I am glad you want to help TU, but seriously this is not the way to get a girl to like you if that is what you are after lol and you can always join TU later and then make it like a birthday present or something.

If she has no clue what she is doing she is not going to like that Sage unless she picks up casting very quickly.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Smile Re: First fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
OK so let me get this, you dont know if she will even like this sport/hobby, yet you are just going to go full force and do this type of stuff for her? No offense, but that to me is a bit odd. Again I'd look at going a cheaper route and make sure she likes it, I am glad you want to help TU, but seriously this is not the way to get a girl to like you if that is what you are after lol and you can always join TU later and then make it like a birthday present or something.

If she has no clue what she is doing she is not going to like that Sage unless she picks up casting very quickly.

We have been very good friends since 1967 and she has always like the idea of fly fishing since she does fish. She just never really had the time or money to enjoy life's many hobbies with work and etc. I have the money to buy her these things expecting nothing in return other than seeing a smile if she truely enjoys it.
FrankB2 and comeonavs like this.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Well, there is nothing wrong with sharing your passions with the people in your life. And if you have the means to do it and your mind made up, go for it.

However, for the money, I believe you can get a better beginner rod. The fast action on the Sage One may be difficult to learn. I'd recommend you get the One for you and get a Sage Response package for her. It has a very forgiving action. You may be able to find an old Vantage for $150. Perfect beginner rod.

I think it's a kind and thoughtful gesture. She may love it. I'd probably go with a Redinton or Sage or Cabelas rod. But you should do whatever you think is right.

Last edited by aggieoutlaw; 03-02-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieoutlaw View Post
I'd recommend you get the One for you and get a Sage Response package for her. It has a very forgiving action.
For me, I don't think I would gain much over my Z-Axis's with the One. The Sage Response is one of the rods that I'm considering if I don't do the Trout Unlimited deal.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

As Rockriver is thinking about the lifetime TU membership including a "free" ONE", it is a great deal, no doubt and a great if not incomparable rod in my opinion. I doubt, however, it is the rod for her. It is not so much that it is a "high end" or "fast" rod but that it is highly unforgiving; it takes an experienced fly fisher to extract even a portion of its potential. My wife has been fly fishing for about a decade now and has become quite accomplished and very avid. Until recently though, whenever I would hand her one of my Sage rods (and there are no LL's in my quiver!), she would hand it back and say, "not for me, too hard to cast." A light weight, progressive rod that she can feel in at lest a 5 if not 6-weight is the way to go...perhaps from your own collection or from one of the many mid priced sources like ECHO (I am not going to enter the fray about quality for novices. ECHO makes the point that they design rods that can and do satisfy the experienced angler but are assessable to the less experienced as well) for example that are often discussed here in our forum. Good luck and if she develops a tight loop and asks you when can we go fishing again...marry the girl!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to spend the money, I think the Sage ZXL is a great rod. You can still find them, but they new rods are becoming scarce. The 4wt is the best of the ZXL's, and I can cast Clouser minnows with it almost as easily as a #20 BWO. Whether a 4wt will cover your friend's fishing needs is something I don't know. The ZXL 5wt is fine, and casts with more authority. My wife uses both, but prefers the 4wt. Another good rod premium would be a Winston BIIIX. While I have not cast one, it's widely reported to be very easy to cast and fish with, both in close and further out.

My wife began fly fishing with a St. Croix Avid, and one of my Diamondback Aeroflex 5wt's. She did better with the faster Diamondback, but her casting improved instantly with a 5wt ZXL. I bought one for myself, and suggested that she try it. She didn't want to break my $675 rod ( ), so resisted for about two weeks. She also balked at the idea of spending another $675 for a ZXL of her own, but after a few false casts, she smiled from ear to ear and told me to order another.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Actually I would be signing her up for the Trout Unlimited Membership
That's $1200. Are you sure that's expensive enough? All kidding aside, that's a lot of money for something (the membership) she may not really like down the road. I know she won't like the rod for a really really long time if ever. Plus TU has some ...... I'll leave out my opinion of TU.

I still think you should reconsider it and get something a bit more user friendly for a beginner. Look at this like taking a kid fishing. If you take a kid, and start making them do hard stuff they suck at right away, particularly if they don't catch fish doing it, you are going to have a really hard time getting them to do it again. Since you aren't married yet, tying her up and forcing her to go a second time is considered kidnapping. Do not go there. I'd also make that rod at least 5 not a 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
expecting nothing in return other than seeing a smile if she truely enjoys it.
She won't. No doubt whatsoever. If you want her to "truely enjoys it", go a different route.
stuie675 likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Oh geez .......here we go.....Im gonna chime in on this as well, and toss one more opinion into the ring. If I take a complete novice out to the park, I venture to say that I can have them casting just as well with a fast action rod as I could with a slower action rod in the exact same amount of time. IMO it has wayyyy more to do with what you learn on than the action of the rod itself. In fact I believe in the long run, fast action rods are easier to control if learned on from day one. So much for conventional wisdom...
rockriver likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Oh geez .......here we go.....Im gonna chime in on this as well, and toss one more opinion into the ring. If I take a complete novice out to the park, I venture to say that I can have them casting just as well with a fast action rod as I could with a slower action rod in the exact same amount of time. IMO it has wayyyy more to do with what you learn on than the action of the rod itself. In fact I believe in the long run, fast action rods are easier to control if learned on from day one. So much for conventional wisdom...:eek:
So what do your beliefs have to do with conventional wisdom? One man's opinion does not a fact make.

IMHO, this thread has absolutely lived its useful life.

Gary
leithel likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Just to add my own take on this. If she is new I would suggest maybe a Greys XF2 Streamflex rod. It has great reviews. Have one and it's a nice med. action rod.

Craig