The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: First fly rod

Different stokes for different folks. I take from the comments that a less expensive and slower action rod for most beginners would be considered more appropriate choice. There is nothing wrong with a Sage One if you have the talent to get the most out of it. Some consider buying the "current best" on the market the way to go. Buying a slower and a less expensive rod is considered a practical way to start a beginner out. A slower rod IMHO, will allow a beginner to develop the proper timing in their cast. There are those that always need the best and most desired equipment and those that settle for something less and still enjoy themselves immensely. If she looses interest, you will have a nice rod for yourself !

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Still mistaking price for best. You can go get a Winston that is every bit as top of the line as the Sage is but will be easier for her to learn on. In fact, based on the Winstons and Sage rods I have seen I think Winston has the better quality.

OK, let me try this way. I have been trying to get a video done for the way to often "I can't cast past 40'" comments I see way to often. All I wanted to do was get a 10-2 cast with no haul. I tried to do it with a very fast rod with a really fast recovery. I can't get my body to knock off all the things that you need to do to get a good cast with a rod like that. In my head I am doing a 10-2 no haul cast. I look at the video and I am going flatter and flatter as I carry more line. My wrist which I was trying not to use is not only being used, but used for late rotation. I am doing a subconscious haul as well. It's not big but it is a haul. I am going to have to use a different rod to do it just because I keep adding the things to the cast you need to do to use a rod like that.

Now when you are learning to fly, you don't step into the cockpit of a fighter jet. Even fighter pilots didn't start off in a fighter jet. They started off in something that required fewer things to pay attention to. Now I am not saying you can't start off in a fighter jet, but they don't do it in order to reduce the number of people flying them into the ground.

If she starts off with a rod that accomplished casters call unforgiving, she will likely fly it into the ground and walk away. There seems to be a large amount of confusion as to what quality and price have in relation to right and usable. Let me clear that up for you. ZERO.

I'll tell what you can do if you want to see if a rod like that is the right one for her. Buy the 5 wt from Flying Pig Rods. That's Pegboy's company. I have the 8 wt. and I am sure it is every bit as fast and has as fast a recovery as the One does. If the One is any faster then absolutely you don't want to learn on it. But buy his rod, and try it. It will save you almost a grand. If I am wrong I'll buy the 5 off of you and you can get the One.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Lord, please bless us all with warm temperatures soon so that we may get out on the water and rid ourselves of this Winter angst.

Amen.
imxer, FrankB2, gt05254 and 5 others like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Dear Lord, please bless us all with warm temperatures soon so that we may get out on the water and rid ourselves of this Winter angst.

Amen.
Have I ever told you I love you fysh?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Have I ever told you I love you fysh?

Lord, it's me again. Please help Diver Dan first, he's in far worse shape than I thought.

Amen, Amen!
gt05254 and troutnut4 like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

it sure would be nice if winter would say start in early december (haven't had a "white" christmas in years)
this jan-april thing blows
gt05254 likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Lord, it's me again. Please help Diver Dan first, he's in far worse shape than I thought.

Amen, Amen!
And the answer to my question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
it sure would be nice if winter would say start in early december (haven't had a "white" christmas in years)
this jan-april thing blows
Up here I could drive on the lake by then By the way, I just drilled holes in the ice out where the Baudette River hits the Rainy River. Just shy of 3' of ice. Another 3 or 4 inches and I will need to put the extension on the auger. It was below 0 last night so we are still building ice.
rockriver likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Time to keep searching since it's seems most posters thought as I kind of did, the One is just too fast of a action for a beginner. Right now my only requirement for the rod is that I want it made in the U.S.A. Thanks for all the advice.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Though it is the beginning of March, daffodils are pushing up in my neck of the woods (where the woods aren't paved) so Paraleptophlebia can't be too far off. I believe Orvis's Helios(1) are going on deep discount and an 8 1/2'/#5would be a fine US built learner rod. While I believe it is true that a dedicated person can grow into an advanced casters' rod, why subject any one to the inherent frustration of striving to do that and I say this as a quick action rod advocate.

This is baseball "Spring Training" time which is a signal to us winter bound fly fishers to start doing some lawn casting to prepare our technique for a chill April day to come and assist our friends who would like an introduction the long rod to join us and learn a thing or two about casting.
baseman1 likes this.