The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Has Your Favorite Trout Rod Gotten Faster or Slower

From a early 1970's Fenwick glass to Z-Axis's. I guess I like the Z's better; but, it depends on where I'm at.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I don't trout fish but my rods have definetly gotten slower. They have also gotten smaller, I was a 9wt ultra fast saltwater die hard. I now find myself using most 7wt rods that are medium fast versus ultra fast 9wt's. I think my tendonitis has alot to do with it. Good topic!!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I also like the "fish on" feel with a glass/slower graphite rod.
If a rod doesn't sing with a fish on, then what's the point? The only reason I fish is to feel the fight, not to winch them in like Bill Dance so I can throw some more tight loops. It often sounds like flyfishers are actually only fly casters, who care little about the heart of the matter, which is the sensation of the pulsing head shake. $.02
bigjim5589 and troutnut4 like this.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
PT,

Did you start out with the Scott G or "progress" to it?
I started out with a Winston "Stalker" 7 1/2',4wt, , a Leonard Graftek, 8 1/2, 5wt, and something from Sage that I got rid of when I started using the Scott rods. Georges Odier, who was my mentor, worked with Chuck Fothergill in Chuck's Shop in Aspen, CO . That was before Taylor Creek or any of the other shops in that area. George sold me on the Scott G Series when we fished together on the Roaring Fork and the Frying Pan...

I still have and use those Scott Rods, one of which is a 10', 5wt. G that Scott made for me in 1985, when they were under different ownership and REALLY took an interest in their customers...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Since it's more important to me how a rod feels with 'fish on' than how many miles it will cast...I way prefer med and slow actions.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I started with cane and then Scott Pow-R-Ply glass. I did not know how fast or slow those rods were compared to what was in existence because choices and availability were nowhere like they became latter. Also my casting skills were in (to be kind) the developmental stages. I taught myself to double haul with that glass rod standing on a rock promontory on a sub-alpine Montana lake as cutthroat rose to a sparse hatch...mostly out of my range. I met Harry Wilson in person for the first time at a FF Show and he convinced me that the then new graphite rods were the way to go and I got what has become the progenitor of the "G" series. Though moderate in action, at the time it felt, comparatively, fast. I grew into that rod quickly and its expanded performance was a revelation. I fished the Henry's Fork a lot during the 70's and 80's (well, though it is different now, I still visit it annually) and honed my presentation techniques on those bank and weed bed edge sippers. Many a great angler frequented that river back in the day and it was there that I was first exposed to the quartering downstream, reach and areal mend dry fly presentation technique to get a fly first, tippet upstream long, drag-free drift. You need not have been concerned about "feeling" your fish if your were fortunate enough to feed it regardless of your fly rod action because the small headed, slab flanked rainbows of those days would put a bend in any rod as they ripped and leaped their way down river...your reel screaming.

As rods got better, AND THEY HAVE, and as my casting skills and presentation repertoire have evolved, my thoughts on fly, rod, reel and line design and how they enhance my trout fishing experience have clarified for me as well. There has been a direct evolutionary line starting with the second generation of classic cane rod makers that went with Tonkin over their fathers' Calcutta cane up to today's high modulus carbon fiber rod designers to build a rod that is lighter, more communicative, better tracking, with less oscillation in the tip and more reserve available in the lower taper. The intent is to craft a fly rod that generates tighter loops with higher line speed to further articulate line control thus presentation, while simultaneously enhancing the elegant sensation of "feel"; what I call communicate. We went from feeling the mass of subtly tapered bamboo to hollow glass to the point where our most technically advance graphite rods of today eschew the sense of fly rod mass in preference for the feeling of the fly line mass taking articulate presentation to a revolutionary level.

OK, I am refereeing to technical dry fly presentation on the Fork, upper Delaware or Missouri head waters not swimming a caddis pupa on a Hemlock canopied mountain brook, where, like Jackster said earlier in this thread, I would select a rather different rod from among the varied personality choices I posses in my quiver. So, to put a cap on my morning diatribe and answer the question of the thread; I have methodically embraced new design trends in rods that have gotten lighter via smaller diameter and thinner walls, more precise in their taper transitions that allow power to be applied by varying your stroke length and speed to cast off the tip or reach into the lower taper with authority to crate a tight loop with feeling and accuracy at as wide a spectrum of distances as possible. Faster, yes, more control and communication, that too.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

Having started with fiberglass in the 70's, I went from slow to med-fast, and even some fast (saltwater mostly). Over the past 5 years, I've gotten back to my roots and fish almost all fiberglass. For trout, I also like a 7' Orvis Impregnated Battenkill bamboo rod. The only graphite I used last year are a fullflex Orvis and an LL Bean Double L, which is more of a medium action.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

My current favorite rod has been the same one for 10 years, a 9' 4wt medium action Sage SLT. I haven't felt the need ... ok that's a lie ... I haven't felt the need and budget for a new rod in a while.

My first rod was cheap Eagle Claw POS. A year later I bought an Ovris Superfine and I found the slower "full flex" action very accommodating. Then I made a Sage SPL 2wt, another medium action beauty. Then I needed a 6wt and built a Sage VPS, a fast "cannon" that I've never appreciated as much as others. Finally, I decided I needed a real dry fly rod for the rivers I was really learning to fish in Montana, the 7'11" Superfine was not cutting it on the bigger waters, and I built the SLT. It's been my go to rod since then. I still love it and honestly cannot imagine replacing it.

It is due to sentimentality as well as my practical nature. I made that rod, I learned how to fish dries to big sipping rainbows with it and I don't really want to ever "sock it away" for the newest sexy thing out there. I've actually decided to re-build it at the end of this coming season.

All that said, I am just finally getting started on a 9'6" 5wt Sage XP, their standard for fast action "performance" rods until it was trumped by the Z. So time will tell.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

My favorite rod has gotten slower. There is a reason sweet'n'slow was once the number one best selling sugar substitute- oh wait, that's not right.