The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 5wt.

I went out Sunday and ended up buying a Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 5wt rod. I have to admit I am a dry fly guy at heart. Don't get me wrong I have Nymphs, not a lot, I just don't use them. I was thinking this year I would start using them (after 30 years of fly fishing). Would this rod be a good choice for say Czech style or just regular nymphing? Need some help here as I am not well versed in this style.

Craig
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 5wt.

Went fishing today and used mine...it's one of my favorite rods...both on dry and nymph on sight ....never fish Czech style or cast heavy nymphs...so don't know...but it's a very good rod ,you should enjoy it
Old 03-04-2013, 02:44 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I have the 10' 2wt and use it specifically for czech nymphing and love it. I have yet to actually cast flies with it because it is so cold here all I have been doing is czech nymphing.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I went out Sunday and ended up buying a Greys Streamflex XF2 10' 5wt rod. I have to admit I am a dry fly guy at heart. Don't get me wrong I have Nymphs, not a lot, I just don't use them. I was thinking this year I would start using them (after 30 years of fly fishing). Would this rod be a good choice for say Czech style or just regular nymphing? Need some help here as I am not well versed in this style.

Craig
It should be. People who do that kind of fishing like 10' rods because they can keep more line off the water. I have a 10' 5wt TFO that was recommended by a guide for high-stick nymphing, although I haven't used it that much. I also have a Greys 9' 6 wt X-Flite (the predecessor of the XF2) and it is a very good rod. So at least you know you have the right size and a reliable brand. The rest is up to you.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Craig
The rod was designed primarily for this purpose although it is very versatile.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Would this rod be a good choice for say Czech style or just regular nymphing?

Craig
Yes, many folks rave about this rod for exactly that purpose.

Edit to say: I have no personal experience with that model rod,
and I dunno why I read a 5 as a 2.

Last edited by biggie_robs; 03-08-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Well OK then. I guess nymphing is on this year and now all I have to do is learn how to do it well!

Craig
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM

renomick is on a distinguished road

Like everyone else, I agree the Streamflex is near perfect for high stick nymphing, at least as far as the waters I fish these days. I handled one almost daily in the course of my work, and had fully intended to pick one up myself, but then got a chance at a new Sage ESN 10 5 wt, at a deal that was too good to refuse. You're going to have a great time with your Streamflex.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough

Just my $.02...
I think it's too fast/stiff for czech-ing...
It is a great indicator nymphing rod, but in my opinion it is not a great Czech nymphing rod. I fished the 11ft #4 Streamflex and I felt it is too fast for handling lighter rigs with lighter tippet. If I am fishing a bigger river/bigger fish situation, I am using an 11ft #4 CZN. It is a softer rod than the Steamflex and does a better job at European style nymphing (again,my opinion). Before I selected the CZN, I fished the Streamflex, TFO, Echo Shadow in 4wt. Later I fished the Sage ESN and One, and concluded that my choice was right for my budget. The ESN is sweet, but I can't afford $700 for a specialized rod.
If it is not a big river-big fish scenario, I opt for 3wt rods. The Europeans frequently fish 2wt and 3wt rods while tight line nymphing (on the other side of the pond fishing is more technical, use of 6x-8x tippet is common, and the fish are not as large as here in USA).
Since the fly line is not contributing too much to the loading of the rod (you only use a couple ft, if at all; sometimes the fly line doesn't leave the reel and you are using the leader only), you should be able to "load" the rod with the flick of your wrist to be able to control where your rig goes (accuracy). Another aspect is not breaking off the light tippet on the hook set, since you are fishing at very short range.
Don't take me wrong, it's a great rod, but in 5wt I feel it is too 'heavy".
I hope it works out well for you! Give us some feedback after you fish it.

Tight lines,
Alex
Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM

Mostly where I plan on fishing it is med. large water with fish up to 8lbs. Not sure if I will Czech with it, but might give it try.

Craig