The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/312764-bonefish-bass-surf-8wt-rod.html)

runningfish 03-06-2013 02:03 PM

For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
Hi guys,
I might have the opportunity to finally go for Bonefish in West Palm Beach, FL.
I've never bonefish fishing before and right now kind of torn between the Helios 2 8wt, 9ft saltwater and the Sage One 8 wt 9ft.

Price wise they are almost the same.

Can anyone give me an input about comparison between these 2 rods in the 8wt. I am planning to use it for bass and surf fishing as well.

thank you

pegboy1 03-06-2013 03:22 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
Wasn't even sure there were any Bonefish in West Palm Beach?

runningfish 03-06-2013 04:18 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegboy1 (Post 533917)
Wasn't even sure there were any Bonefish in West Palm Beach?

I didn't know that I had to write down my itinerary as well here.

sweetandsalt 03-06-2013 05:02 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
The reason it helps to know where you will be fishing is that bonefishing tackle encompasses at least as much variation relative to habitat as trout fishing does. For example, you are visiting West Palm and what?, booking a guide in Biscayne Bay, voyaging to Bimini or driving to Islamorada? Very different situations. Wading or fishing from a skiff, different too. The more we know the more help we can offer. I will say though that you have good taste in potential tackle choices but line weight and reel choices factor in here too. Rarely is the same rod great on flats as well as for chucking big flies for bass.

pegboy1 03-06-2013 10:09 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by runningfish (Post 533947)
I didn't know that I had to write down my itinerary as well here.

Just pointing out that if you stay in West Palm Beach your not going to find any Bonefish.

moucheur2003 03-07-2013 05:13 AM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegboy1 (Post 534051)
Just pointing out that if you stay in West Palm Beach your not going to find any Bonefish.

No, but an 8 weight is still good for the snook, jacks, reds, etc. that you are more likely to see. And if you do go further afield on a bonefish expedition, it's good for that too.

I haven't fished with either the H2 or the One. I have only test cast the 8 weight H2 at a fishing show for a few minutes. I would have to say, though, that both are very high-quality, high-performance rods capable of doing everything a saltwater 8 is expected to do. Choosing one over the other is going to be purely a matter of personal preference. (It's like asking which is a better car for highway driving, a BMW or an Audi?) If you can't compare them both side-by-side before you buy, pick the brand you have more familiarity with (for me that would be the Orvis), or the one your local fly shop has the better relationship with (in case of warranty or exchange issues after the sale). If you don't have a local fly shop or a brand preference, find the one (not necessarily the One) with the cheapest price online and take your chances.

S&S is also correct to point out that a stiff flats rod is not going to be the best choice for freshwater bass bugging. (To extend the car analogy, you can get an Audi Quattro, and it may somewhat be more versatile than a BMW rear-drive, but it wouldn't necessarily be your best choice for regular off-roading.) If you are going to try to do both with only one rod, I guess I would suggest choosing a medium-fast rod rather than a very fast one. I suspect that might lean you toward the H2 over the One, but I don't really know.

tandrin 03-07-2013 12:55 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
I just fish Caicos for bones with a Helios 2 8 wt and was very pleased. My comparison was a GLoomis CC 8 wt. and I thought the Helios loaded quicker, casted smoother, and handled the wind better. The Helios fit my casting style and I probably got another 15-20 ft on my casts. The rod is very light and I was using a Tibor Everglades which I will stick on the 9 wt Helios 2 I ordered when I returned. I think the rod would be best paired with a lighter reel.

runningfish 03-07-2013 03:52 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsalt (Post 533966)
The reason it helps to know where you will be fishing is that bonefishing tackle encompasses at least as much variation relative to habitat as trout fishing does. For example, you are visiting West Palm and what?, booking a guide in Biscayne Bay, voyaging to Bimini or driving to Islamorada? Very different situations. Wading or fishing from a skiff, different too. The more we know the more help we can offer. I will say though that you have good taste in potential tackle choices but line weight and reel choices factor in here too. Rarely is the same rod great on flats as well as for chucking big flies for bass.

Thank you for the insight, the reason why I couldn't be specific is because I haven't had the guide or the exact time line out yet for that trip.
My reel will be the Lamson Litespeed 3.5X, I haven't decided on what line yet. I want one of these 2 rods to be my rod for my bigger flies and for surf fishing. Currently I only have the Helios 5wt and I will only be buying 1 more rod only for all my fly fishing.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegboy1 (Post 534051)
Just pointing out that if you stay in West Palm Beach your not going to find any Bonefish.

Noted, thank you for your insight.
I haven't booked a guide yet. We might even flying further down south to fish something else. Right now what I am trying to do is finding a nice enough rod to cover various species.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by moucheur2003 (Post 534128)
No, but an 8 weight is still good for the snook, jacks, reds, etc. that you are more likely to see. And if you do go further afield on a bonefish expedition, it's good for that too.

I haven't fished with either the H2 or the One. I have only test cast the 8 weight H2 at a fishing show for a few minutes. I would have to say, though, that both are very high-quality, high-performance rods capable of doing everything a saltwater 8 is expected to do. Choosing one over the other is going to be purely a matter of personal preference. (It's like asking which is a better car for highway driving, a BMW or an Audi?) If you can't compare them both side-by-side before you buy, pick the brand you have more familiarity with (for me that would be the Orvis), or the one your local fly shop has the better relationship with (in case of warranty or exchange issues after the sale). If you don't have a local fly shop or a brand preference, find the one (not necessarily the One) with the cheapest price online and take your chances.

S&S is also correct to point out that a stiff flats rod is not going to be the best choice for freshwater bass bugging. (To extend the car analogy, you can get an Audi Quattro, and it may somewhat be more versatile than a BMW rear-drive, but it wouldn't necessarily be your best choice for regular off-roading.) If you are going to try to do both with only one rod, I guess I would suggest choosing a medium-fast rod rather than a very fast one. I suspect that might lean you toward the H2 over the One, but I don't really know.

Yes, it was a dilemma for me to choose between the 7wt or the 8wt. But I don't want to have too many fly rods. I am just starting up and fly rods are more expensive than the Shimano Cumulus. I am the kind of person who just buy once and beat the dang out of it.

I might gonna take a risk on the One if I didn't read S&S review about it. S&S wrote that it was too stiff and we need to be very technical to use it. HUH? Me? Technical? I'll go with the H2 that is more forgiving.

btw, BMW all the way, mate.:D

moucheur2003 03-07-2013 04:16 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by runningfish (Post 534314)
Yes, it was a dilemma for me to choose between the 7wt or the 8wt. But I don't want to have too many fly rods. I am just starting up and fly rods are more expensive than the Shimano Cumulus. I am the kind of person who just buy once and beat the dang out of it.

I might gonna take a risk on the One if I didn't read S&S review about it. S&S wrote that it was too stiff and we need to be very technical to use it. HUH? Me? Technical? I'll go with the H2 that is more forgiving.

btw, BMW all the way, mate.:D

If you are only going to have two rods for a while to cover all the situations you might encounter, I would say make them a 5 and an 8, not 5 and 7 (or 5 and 9). And I would say make it a more forgiving 8 rather than a stiffer one. So yes, I think that probably steers you toward the H2 rather than the One for your 8 weight. But they are so expensive that you should try both of them for yourself if you can, or at least talk to as many people as you can, before deciding.

runningfish 03-07-2013 04:31 PM

Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod
 
@moucheur2003.

Yes, that would be the path to follow for me. 5wt and 8wt h1 or h2.
Unfortunately, my local BPS doesn't carry the One in their store. We have an Orvis store in Pasadena, CA which I frequently visit and kinda know the person.
They are expensive rods, I can't believe that some of us here including me are crazy enough to dish out $$$ for a STICK. Insane, but what can we do when the bugs :eek:is stronger than your mind.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.