The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Casting Winston BIIIx in wind conditions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/312857-casting-winston-biiix-wind-conditions.html)

hauxon 03-07-2013 12:49 PM

Casting Winston BIIIx in wind conditions

My father (and lifetime fishing partner) is turning 60 next week and I've been planning on giving him a new rod for his birthday.

We mostly do fish for large brown trout and arctic char in the Icelandic highlands (mostly lakes) with occasional atlantic salmon in mid-sized rivers. When fishing in the lakes it often gets windy and pretty tough to cast up against the wind. So he's told me he is thinking of getting a rod for next spring/summer that's better for that than his current rod (Sage XP 9ft 6wt) in strong wind and was planning on getting a 7 weight Sage One. The plan was to give him a 7wt 10ft Sage One ...but during the weekend I found a used but same as new RL Winston BIIx 7w 10ft and bought it.

Now, do you think that the Winston rod is a good tool for windy lake fishing? If not I might keep the Winston for myself (I do like it) and let him get the rod he was planning to get.

Me holding two large browns from the lakes.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4047/4...fc0bd54c_o.jpg

And here's my father in the wind :)
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2622/3...e6496084_o.jpg

Thanks!
Hrannar

jpbfly 03-07-2013 01:48 PM

Re: Casting Winston BIIIx in wind conditions

:welcomean...to the forum...can't help you although I often fish in windy conditions(over 100kmph)...don't have a Winston:oI'm sure some members will advise you;)

hauxon 03-07-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpbfly (Post 534268)
:welcomean...to the forum...can't help you although I often fish in windy conditions(over 100kmph)...don't have a Winston:oI'm sure some members will advise you;)

Thanks, I've been lurking around for a while but never had anything to say. :)

I have my self been using Guideline rods with my fishing during the last 5-6 and have been happy with the gear so far. Just got my self a Guideline Lpxe 7wt Switch rod but have yet to decide if I'm keeping it. If the Winston BIIIx ends with me I'll probably sell my switch rod and my Guideline Fario 6wt (and then get a Guideline Fario 10' 4wt for light nymph fishing)

Hrannar

hauxon 03-09-2013 08:48 AM

Ok not too many Winston fishermen here? ...maybe better chance of getting reply in the winstonrods.com forum.

To simplify:
1. Is Sage One a better rod in the wind than Winston BIIIx?
2. And If better is it then just slightly better or by a mile?

;)

Thanks, Hrannar

FrankB2 03-09-2013 09:40 AM

Welcome,
There are Winston owners on this forum, but most seem to use 4 and 5 wt rods, and a couple have the BIIIX in 6wt. Winston makes the faster SX series, and that might be better suited to the conditions shown in your fantastic pictures. The folks at the Winston forum would be able to help you decide which Winston rod is best suited for your father, but they will not recommend a Sage....ever. I like Sage, and the Sage ONE is reported to perform very well in the heavier weights you're looking at.

Of course it will ultimately be your father who decides which rod suits him best, so get one with a return policy, etc. ;)

mcnerney 03-09-2013 10:59 AM

I can't help with the comparison between the Sage One and the Winston, but I do own a Sage One 5 wt and it is a rocket launcher, I can only guess that in a 7 wt it would be outstanding in the wind.

hauxon 03-10-2013 05:16 PM

I have decided to give my father the Winston rod and let him decide if he likes the rod even if Sage One (or stiff rods from other makers) might be somewhat better in strong wind.

I did a "waggle" test at home and compared the 7wt 10ft Winston BIIIx to my 6wt 9ft Guideline Fario and found it similar or even slightly stiffer than my Fario (medium-fast). I'm hoping the weather will allow us to cast in the next few days. (I also have a Guideline Lpxe Switch rod that needs testing) :)

Thanks for the help!

Hrannar

Guest1 03-10-2013 06:25 PM

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with how a Sage is. I have a BIIX I cast in the wind and like it.

I cast a couple of Sage rods a decade or so back, and was not a big fan of them. Like the Winstone a lot better. I think the quality is better, and I liked the feel better.

Probably to late to help, and not sure how much it did help. But again, welcome to the forum.

MoscaPescador 03-11-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauxon (Post 534907)
1. Is Sage One a better rod in the wind than Winston BIIIx?

After casting both, I'd say yes. The One is definitely stiffer in the midbody and the but. Along with a very soft tip, it throws very tight loops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauxon (Post 534907)
2. And If better is it then just slightly better or by a mile?

It is noticable, but I won't say the One is a better casting rod in the wind by a mile.

If you are looking for a rod designed for wind, I would be looking at a Sage TCX or a Winston B3Mx.

Dennis