The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Best Trout Rods ?

Pretty subjective question. I'm not experienced with that many rods to really know.
I really like my old school Sage RPL Graphite III. It's a 5wt 7 foot 9. It's great for the small rivers and streams I like to fish. It's long enough to fit in tight spots and has enough reserve to reach out on breezy days that are so often here on the Island. Plus it has tremendous sentimental value.

The more I grow with and learn about fly fishing, the more I'm coming to realize that it's the rod that chooses the fisherman and not the fisherman who chooses the rod. I think it has more to do with our flaws than with our skills.
wt bash, biggie_robs and kayo like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Just to be clear....the question is what's YOUR best trout rod ever...not what is THE best trout rod ever....right?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM
sbreech

Mine would be my Orvis Superfine 4wt with a Nautilus FWx 3/4 hanging on it. It likes the Orvis Wonderline WF4F line. Enough rod for any trout around here, and fun enough for the smaller. Full flex, plenty of feel.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Even though the rod limits me to fishing the Eastern States, my favorite would be the Orvis Far & Fine.

Dave
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have 2 that i love-
1. sage vt2 7'9" 4 weight with a lamson ula2 reel and airflo tactical trout wf4-f fly line
2. albright gp 7'6" 4 weight with a english made system 1 reel and orvis silver label wf4-f fly line.
love both rods for totally different reasons. also the reels balance the rods well and, i think most
importantly, the lines allow the rods to really do their thing
two totally different rods, but i love em' both

casey

ARFE
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My Loomis 9' 4wt IMX that I built around 92-93ish. I have many other "Trout Rods", but I reach for this one far more than any other.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Just to be clear....the question is what's YOUR best trout rod ever...not what is THE best trout rod ever....right?
Yes that is correct.

I'll add a few to my list:
1-7'9" 5wt Orvis Rocky Mnt. F&F
2-Diamondback All-American 805
3-St.Croix Legend Ultras 804 & 8.5' 4
4-Pflueger 7.6' 4/5 (cheap but great rod)
5-Scott SAS 7.6' 4wt

Last edited by attila; 03-08-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I thought of not responding as it is hard for me to say what my favorite rod is but here is my take. a. Sentimentally, it is an 8 1/2'/#5 I built from a Scott blank that Harry himself picked out for me in 1989. b. Performance wise, Sage ONE 9'/#5 is an incomparable tight loop, high line speed, full size river, dry fly rod...period. c. Rod that means the most to me, would be my brace of Redington Nti "Nanos" a 9'/#5 and 8 1/2'/#4 both paired with Ari't Hart reels and SA XXD/Expert Distance Taper lines with Orvis braided butt leaders. These two 1990's rods and their 8-weight bonefish sibling informed and re-educated me about all the wonderful Scott, Sage and Loomis rods that came before and after them.

Click the image to open in full size.

My Far&Fine and Scott #5 from the late 1980's
caseywise likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice s&s!!

ARFE
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Sadly I don't own it but I got to fish with a George Maurer 7' 4wt taper that couldn't be touched by any other rod I have fished/owned. Crispy and light at the tip but plenty of power down through the butt, tossed a 12/15' leader but could reach out to impressive lengths when you timed her right.