The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Trout Rods ?

I once had an Orvis Far and Fine 5wt that would lay a line out like angels were bringing it down from Heaven on pillows of clouds. Once you had a fish on, you could feel current flow across it's nose. Far and away the most sensitive, all around wonderful'est, best'est awesome'est rod I even owned. Alas, I sold it during a dark time in my life. BUT, I just ordered an Orvis Superfine this very morning.
mcnerney, cletus and sbreech like this.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

my best would be my 9ft 4wt scott g2. i fish it more than any other rod i own and for tricky currents and nymphing that i do alot of i love the 9ft length.I love my little 8'4" 3wt g2 also but obviously its much more limited.however if i hit one of the two local streams after work during a sulphur spinner fall and i know im gonnabe fishing dries i will bring it. it lets a 12 inch wild brown really show its stuff.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

The G2's are great. I almost went with my 8'6" 4wt for my favorite, but the Fibertouch is just so smooth and fun to fish, I even used it for some dry fly action on the S. Platte once...lost a couple big guys becuase of the missing backbone...but a friend was borrowing the G2.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Easy to reply....for my son Nico...Scott G955as for me I fished for many years with a Launstorfer 9.2' 5wt which was made for me in 1983...but it's a 2p rod...so I don't often use it anymoreNow I use my Scott G2...my Greys Streamflex...or my Quarrow...love them all
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

For most of my trout fishing in MI - a Tom Morgan Graphite 4 wt, 8'-6"
Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

590-4 Sage Z-Axis for all around fishing
966-4 Winston B2MX for streamers
884-4 Scott G2 for dries 0 until I can finance a Sage Circa!

Randy
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

"Best" is obviously subjective. However, without question the rod I turn to most often, that has caught me the largest, and the most trout, has been the most versatile rod that I currrently own, is without a doubt my St. Croix Imperial 9 ft. 5 wt. I can flick a dryfly 20 feet while creek fishing, or rocket my 250 grain sinktip line a hundred feet with this nearly entry-level rod. I can underline it to 4.5 wt. and overline it as much as 7 wt., and it manages to make me look good throughout.

Man, I can't wait until my knee heals and I can go fishing!

Peace.
noreaster likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Others here have listed two of my three favorite trout rods:

St. Croix Legend Ultra 8.5' 4 wt
St. Croix Imperial 9' 5 wt for bigger waters

I also love my Cabela's LST 9' 5 wt. I know its a pretty low end rod but I love it, its light and fast, an excellent rod for floating, intermediate, and sink tip lines for stillwater trout.

Tom
Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 AM

renomick is on a distinguished road

Don't know about the best, maybe the best for my fishing styles, but here are the threesome that see the most action from me.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...500/scotts.jpg

Scott G2's, 3 wt and 5 wt, and an S4 6 wt. If I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll sometimes breakout the cane rods, though I'll admit I sometimes feel a bit Winston Churchillish, casting to trout while wearing tweeds and smoking a stogie.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Then of course there are Tom Chandler's picks:

The Dozen Best Fly Rods of All Time

Of these, I've got the 9' 4 wt Loomis IMX, the 8' 6" 5 wt Winston WT, and the 8' 4 wt Winston Tom Morgan Favorite. (I've also got a couple of decent 9' 6 weights, but he kind of sleazed that one by not picking a specific model.)

He goofed by failing to mention the Orvis Far & Fine, I think. I have one of those too. Unlike the rest of you who brag about having an original early version, I believe mine is the last one Orvis ever sold. (At least from their regular production run. I understand they have made a few by custom order from leftover blanks since.) They located a lone survivor in one of their retail shops in England and shipped it back to me in the US. I had to pay customs duty.

He deliberately excluded models currently in production, apparently because there seems to be such a short product life cycle these days that you don't know whether today's best rods will still be on top tomorrow, but I think if current offerings were considered there would probably be something from the Orvis H2 and Hardy Zenith families on the list.