The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Rod length in relation to casting distance ?

Just curious here,,but how critical is rod length in adding casting distance.... all other things being equal. Thinking,,,8wt rod for big river,,,big fish (Muskie, strpers). Since I never worry about distance in trout fishing,,,I've never pondered rod length for casting,,only line control. Bigger water, big fish, might be different, eh ?

This would be a future project,,but I wanna find out all I can about my best options in the meantime.

Thanks
Michael
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Rod length in relation to casting distance ?

I don't know if ill be much help but ill give it a shot. I have a 5wt 8'6 rod and a 4wt 5'9 now my 8'6 I can cast 60 feet very easily. My 5'9 I can cast 40 feet easy..so I think length of rod dose affect distance from my experience.. Now a better caster then me may not find a big difference.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Rod length in relation to casting distance ?

Simple physics

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I kinda understand the physics,,,but I majored in 'recess',,,,I'll study it some more LOL

Thanks,seriously

Michael
Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll show you as soon as I finish my 17 footer. No, seriously, longer means farther. I can hit 140' virtually every cast with my 15'ers. Farther if I overhead cast them. Try that with a 9' rod.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Practice and repetition, practice and repetition!

Nothing helps as much as time spent on the water or going to the local park and casting. Rod length has it's place once you've mastered the basics.

We've all watched Lefty cast the entire fly line with only a fiberglass rod tip section. And he does it with ease!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yah, that answered it. Where's my fiberglass tip?
fysh, mcnerney and moucheur2003 like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its more than just length I think. Rod action and timing has alot to do with it too. Longer means farther when you know how to use the long rod as well as Dan but, no offense to the OP, most can't just pick one up and throw out 100+ feet of line.
fysh and Guest1 like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

line weight has a lot to do with casting, I can throw my 6'6" 2wt 50-70 feet with no wind and a 7' 6 wt out past 80 feet. same timing and casting stroke just a heavier line wt helps get it out there.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

Rod length plays some part in casting distance, as does line speed. With a rod rated for two weights you will notice that you can generally cast better further distances with the lower weight. The lower weight of the lighter line generates higher line speed and tighter loops. The higher weighted line has a softer feel and casts better short distances. It will also help cast during the windier days.