The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM

ctyslcr is on a distinguished road
Default Winston B2MX versus Winston GVX 6 wt

I'm looking to add a rod and there are some sales on the B2MX and the GVX. I currently own a 2wt, 4wt and 5 wt for small stream fishing. They each serve their purpose on the E. Fork of the Walker River depending on time of year. I want something to take on the Truckee River in CA as well as some larger rivers. I live in N. Nevada. I would like something for streamers and to throw nymphs. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Winston B2MX versus Winston GVX 6 wt

I haven't tried the B2MX, but everything I have read says it is an extremely fast rod. I would be worried that it would be too stiff for a lot of purposes. I suspect the GVX is more versatile.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I do not have Any experience with the GVX but I do own the BIIMX 6wt which I use for streamers and double-nymph rigs under an indicator. It's a great rod for those purposes. It's not nearly as stiff on the water as it may feel to you in the shop. Good luck with the choice, both rods would probably be good fits for your intended purposes.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:12 PM

barham will become famous soon enough

I have the B2MX in 5wt; it is too stiff for me. Although I have not cast the GVX, my absolute favorite fly rod, and I have the Sage Zaxis and Winston B3X, is the B2X 6wt which I got on ebay for around $300.00.
You might check it out.
barham
Old 03-09-2013, 02:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking to throw big streamers with heavy lines, the B2Mx is a fine rod for that. For other purposes, it may not be the right rod unless you like really fast rods.

The GVX is a quick rod, but I could not find anything that really stood out about it.

If you really want a Winston, the B3x is the sweetheart rod. It is quick, but it easy to adjust one's stroke to cast. There is enough backbone to manhandle fish, but it is forgiving enough to protect tippets. It has the right flex to form tight loops, but yet one can open up a loop easily for those large payloads (nymph rigs, streamers).

Dennis
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
Although I have not cast the GVX, my absolute favorite fly rod, and I have the Sage Zaxis and Winston B3X, is the B2X 6wt which I got on ebay for around $300.00.
You might check it out.
barham
Supposedly, according to Winston, the action of the GVX is very similar to the B2x, and the main difference is that the B2x has boron while the GVX is all-graphite.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you really want a Winston, the B3x is the sweetheart rod. It is quick, but it easy to adjust one's stroke to cast. There is enough backbone to manhandle fish, but it is forgiving enough to protect tippets. It has the right flex to form tight loops, but yet one can open up a loop easily for those large payloads (nymph rigs, streamers).

Dennis
Dennis,
Could you please not speak so highly of the BIIIX? I have been itching to buy one for the past month (or longer), and your endorsement of that rod could tip me over the edge. Thank You....LOL
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Dennis,
Could you please not speak so highly of the BIIIX? I have been itching to buy one for the past month (or longer), and your endorsement of that rod could tip me over the edge. Thank You....LOL
If it helps, I had the opportunity to cast one against a TFO BVK recently, and I liked the BVK better. (But I'm guessing it won't really help.)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It'll get me through the night, but can't make any promises about tomorrow....
Old 03-09-2013, 11:29 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
It'll get me through the night, but can't make any promises about tomorrow....
LOL, just FYI, I have a TFO BVK 9' 5wt and have cast the Winston BIIIx in the same configuration and I favor the Winston.