The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Hardy DD Ultralite 4000 v Nautilus FWX 5/6 for Winston B2x 9' 6wt

I am looking for a new reel for my Winston listed above. I really don't need one as my Lamson Konic 2 and Guru 1.5 are fine. However, for some reason neither do much for me. Perhaps I like the more traditional look. I like the 3.8 ounce weight of the Nautilus and the look of the Hardy. Is the drag on the Hardy sufficient to handle big trout such as on the Missouri or bass here in Texas?
I would appreciate some input.
Thanks,
barham
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hardy DD Ultralite 4000 v Nautilus FWX 5/6 for Winston B2x 9' 6wt

Great drag on the Hardy Ultralite DD 4000; not sure how big the fish are there but I wouldn't think twice about landing 20+ inch trout with mine.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I fish both the Nautilus FWX 5/6 and the Hardy U DD on the Missouri around Craig and they both have performed admirably. They are the two trout reels I most frequently recomend. Both have superior drag designs and proportions to your current reels. You could chose based on aesthetics and not go wrong either way.
imxer likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM

Sweetandsalt:
Thanks for the reply. It is funny about your mention of Craig, that is where my wife, son and I go. Great fishing isn't it?
Thanks,
barham
Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't call the Nautilus or the Ultralite a "traditional" look. If you want that, get a Hardy LRH or Princess!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 PM

I know I am drifting off the subject of this thread, but since I have imposed on you fellas today, I will ask one more question.
How would rate the Orvis Access III as compared to the Nautilus and Hardy discussed above. It is quite a bit cheaper, gets good reviews, and I have had good luck with Orvis products.
Thanks for your input.
barham
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I wouldn't. I do have an Orvis Hydros which is quite servicable but in a different catagory than the Hardy and Nautilus. Perhaps the Orvis Mirage, but I have never used one.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have the Access IV (7-9wt) on my 5wt. It is Anodized, the drag is sealed, I dunked it all the time, I put it on the sand. The sand got into the spaces but I just shook it loose in the water and no problem. However, I wouldn't use it as my go to saltwater reel, maybe for an occasional saltwater trip. I've had the Hydros IV as well, but that reel was heavy for my liking; 7.4 oz with the 8wt line n backing on. Beautiful and functional, but heavy.
This is why I am also in the market for a SW reel and into Lamson Velocity, Litespeed, Ross Evo 4 and Nautilus FWX 7/8. All have good drags, but different capacities in the backing. Lamsons have more backing than the other ones.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the input, I think I am going with the Nautilus, the 3.8 oz wt appeals to me as the Winston rod is quite light.
Thanks,
barham
sbreech likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

either one is great! i own the hardy dd 4000 and its a real jewel of a reel!! it has a modern classic look to it. i use it for trout only....and all my other reels have some model of allen reel. they are amazing and the company's customer service is the best in the business. i'll say this...i just had $350 to spend on a reel of my choice...i chose to buy an allen trout 2 reel. i will probably even order another this week( just smaller)

good luck with your decision