The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: snapped a rod help me pick a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishmich View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. Getting feedback from actual fly fishers beats reading reviews anyday.
Is there nobody at Cabelas that is an actual fly fisherman? That's why I stay out of Cabelas and buy my stuff at my "local" fly shop. I don't know about where you are but the Cabelas near me is full of idiots as far as fly fishing goes. The local fly shop actually are fly fisherman and they can tell you how the local streams/rivers are fishing etc.

And its not just Cabelas either, my local Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop and any other Big Box Store is off my list of places to buy equipment.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

BVK. Excellent CS at Cabelas!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
Is there nobody at Cabelas that is an actual fly fisherman? That's why I stay out of Cabelas and buy my stuff at my "local" fly shop. I don't know about where you are but the Cabelas near me is full of idiots as far as fly fishing goes. The local fly shop actually are fly fisherman and they can tell you how the local streams/rivers are fishing etc.

And its not just Cabelas either, my local Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop and any other Big Box Store is off my list of places to buy equipment.
Will the local shop honor the store credit? That's what he's asking about. I generally agree with you that local shops are more helpful and knowledgeable than the big boxes, but I've met some less than helpful people in local shops and some great people in the bigger chains. I got my first rod at a Cabelas (in Michigan) and found the folks helpful.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow i guess it depends on what Cabelas you go to. The one near me has a great staff all very knowledgeable fly guys especially about local waters and their products! Lets not forget the Cabelas family started it all tying flys and selling them for the price of postage back in the day!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

For what you are targeting,,,TFO's BVK.........every time.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Will the local shop honor the store credit? That's what he's asking about. I generally agree with you that local shops are more helpful and knowledgeable than the big boxes, but I've met some less than helpful people in local shops and some great people in the bigger chains. I got my first rod at a Cabelas (in Michigan) and found the folks helpful.
I wasn't suggesting the local shop would honor the store credit. The OP made a comment about getting "feedback from actual fly fisherman". That me me wonder if they weren't any actual fly fisherman at Cabelas where he bought the rod that could help him out.

Once at my Local Cabelas fly fishing section while looking at rods the salesman stated how many rods he owed. I said I only needed one to go fishing. He then arrogantly told me how he NEVER goes fishing without at least 4 rods at a minimum with him. It turns out he trolls on Lake Winnebago for walleyes. He didn't even own a fly rod. This clown was working in the fly fishing section telling me that I need to carry several rods with me when I go fishing. In case one breaks or you have some kind of malfunction. I don't think had a clue about fly fishing. Really turned me off on Cabelas.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I wasn't suggesting the local shop would honor the store credit. The OP made a comment about getting "feedback from actual fly fisherman". That me me wonder if they weren't any actual fly fisherman at Cabelas where he bought the rod that could help him out.

Once at my Local Cabelas fly fishing section while looking at rods the salesman stated how many rods he owed. I said I only needed one to go fishing. He then arrogantly told me how he NEVER goes fishing without at least 4 rods at a minimum with him. It turns out he trolls on Lake Winnebago for walleyes. He didn't even own a fly rod. This clown was working in the fly fishing section telling me that I need to carry several rods with me when I go fishing. In case one breaks or you have some kind of malfunction. I don't think had a clue about fly fishing. Really turned me off on Cabelas.
Bill at the Dundee, MI Cableas is a very knowledgable and skilled fly fisherman. He ties his own flies and is not stingy with his info or tips. He often gives up a good spot so I can enjoy my time.

I have to admit. I have gone to the local shops I shop there when I can. When I first started out on this venture I hired a guide in Breckenridge Colorado. Not the Orvis shop but the local guy. We went out and caught a few fish and it was ok. I never put another thought into it.
My wife and I went back the next year and I hired out Adam at Breckenridge Outfitters-an Orvis endorsed shop-He put me on the Blue River and we CLOBBERED Rainbows for 2 hours. I was hooked. So, when I went back home we went to Cabelas to find something and wondered into the fly shop where I met Bill. He set me up with an intro outfit, spent well over an hour with me. Talking leaders tippets casting, practice some easy techniques that would give some success so I would stay in the sport and not lose interest. And really just being a nice person and helping me to get started in a great hobby/sport/activity/way of life. 5 years later I have branched out from trout to still water fly fishing for smalls, large mouth, bluegill walleye, rivers for carp, steelhead, salmon, canoeing camping, hunting, shooting sports and dog sports. Hmmmmm where does a guy find all of that stuff under 1 roof?

Besides, I don't always support the little guy. I support the GOOD guy. I will continue to support the folks that take good care of me. I have found a confident source of info and and a great atmosphere and amazing customer service.

I still love the dancing frog

I will find out Friday when I go to the store. Seem like lots of appreciation for the TFO Lefty Kreh BVK. with lot of great feedback online
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The Dundee store is where I got my first rod. Not sure if it was Bill who helped me, it was some years ago, but the guy was very helpful and gave me the right advice for starting out. Been in some of the big stores where the sales people where clearly covering the fly fishing section, without a clue what they were talking about. But I've had bad experiences in small 'local' shops. Remember one where a guy insisted that there were no bass in a local stretch of river when I was selecting flies for fishing it. I told him I'd personally caught them there and he looked at me like I was an idiot, perhaps he was just cared about trout who knows. I agree, support the places that have good service and good selection. Thankfully I have some good shops around me, but not everyone has that option. Sometimes the only local place has bad service and/or selection. I'm glad the Dundee Cabelas has treated you well, sounds like you've gotten some good advice on your next rod.
flyfishmich likes this.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 AM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

picked up a new 9' 8wt TOF BVK 4 pc. can't wait to take it out. thanks all for your input