The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default snapped a rod help me pick a new one

I snapped my cabelas L-tech 9 foot 8 wt. I can return it for store credit instead of a new l-tech rod. Which is good since it will be my 2nd one going back.

So, i am in the market for something that cabelas sells

Around 180-250ish.
9 or 10 foot
8,9 or 10 wt for steelhead and salmon fishing in michigan.
and I'd like it to be 4 piece.

thanks

I did snap on a big massive huge....

hang up on my backcast. ugh. I know I could have lied about it.
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: snapped a rod help me pick a new one

Echo Ion or a TFO BVK; Both good, if not great rods, in that price range. Cabela's has good description's of said rod's on their website. Good luck
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

So you told Cabela's you busted it by hooking it on a backcast and they still give you a new rod?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
So you told Cabela's you busted it by hooking it on a backcast and they still give you a new rod?
Cabelas didn't even ask me how I broke my l-tech... just gave me a new rod
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

BVK or Winston Passport
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM

joshw is on a distinguished road

If you have had that much trouble breaking rods, I would suggest you look at the Echo Ion. It isn't the lightest rod but it is extremely durable and cast well too.

Last edited by joshw; 03-11-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I've found that many of the larger stores, like LL Bean, and Cabela's are less interested in bickering with you about the details, and more interested with keeping you happy and spending in the future. The money that Bean has lost in replacing and shipping waders is probably insane. I'm considering purchasing a pair and getting in on that iron clad warranty. I know I am still pleased with their Large Arbor reel I bought last year. Pretty hard to find fault with this company, quality wise.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

bvk all day long

casey
flyfishmich likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM

thepharmacist is on a distinguished road

I have an echo Ion 10ft 7wt I use for Erie Trib Steel and I like it alot.
flyfishmich likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all of the replies. Getting feedback from actual fly fishers beats reading reviews anyday.

Yeah, All I have ever done for the returns is take it in there and say it broke-they look up and see that it has a 25 year warrenty and no questions asked.

as much that can be said about them I have always had very good customer service with cableas. the staff at the Dundee MI store has been great.

Besides what is the difference between snapping a rod on a hang up or on a fish.
To me the only difference is that I'd be the only guy in the room telling the truth.

Yeah, I was drifting stone fly nymphs for stellhead in the Big Manistee a couple weekends ago and I was really trying to get across the water snagged a branch and snap. Oh I wonder if the fact that it was 4 degrees out had anything to do with it. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Tough condidtions. No steelhead either. booooo

I do like the little dancing frog

How does that Echo Ion cast?

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

the frst l tech snapped after I tripped over a stump in the heavy stained river.
I'd be a good product tester

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I've found that many of the larger stores, like LL Bean, and Cabela's are less interested in bickering with you about the details, and more interested with keeping you happy and spending in the future. The money that Bean has lost in replacing and shipping waders is probably insane. I'm considering purchasing a pair and getting in on that iron clad warranty. I know I am still pleased with their Large Arbor reel I bought last year. Pretty hard to find fault with this company, quality wise.

That LL BEAN flagship store in Maine is awesome. Great way to spend a morning with a cup of coffee. Or anytime since its open 24/7 365