The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Is the Redington Pursuit 5wt really a 5wt? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/313237-redington-pursuit-5wt-really-5wt.html)

thechroniclesofmasi 03-11-2013 09:23 AM

Is the Redington Pursuit 5wt really a 5wt?

Hi All,

I am going on a trip and want to buy a cheap/ fast/ 5 wt rod. I have 5 and 6 wt rods and all the reels and line. My current rods are 2 and 3 piece and wont fit in my luggage. I am looking for a 4pc now.

My question is will WF5wt line load the pursuit 5wt rod?

I know that the cheaper faster rods seem to not load with the recommended line wt.

As I have my line and reels I don't want to buy the wrong rod and have to buy new line.

PS. No fly shop within 100 miles of me so the rod I buy is the rod I fly.

Thanks in advance for all the great help!!!!!!:frogdance

fredaevans 03-11-2013 11:48 AM

Re: Is the Redington Pursuit 5wt really a 5wt?

Rod is described as a 'fast action' rod so I'd be tempted to 'one up' with a WF type of line. If you go to a DT a 5 should be fine. Say that as the lines are based upon just the first 30 feet so as you get more DT line out the rod tip the line weight (effectively) is increasing.

fae

thechroniclesofmasi 03-11-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 535556)
If you go to a DT a 5 should be fine

That's the thing I don't want to buy any more line. I have enough lines just need a good 4 piece rod. DT is fun to throw on the other hand! And it makes me feel like a pro. Hahaah

pegboy1 03-11-2013 05:11 PM

Really impossible to answer. Do you want it to load at 10 feet? 20feet? 30?

thechroniclesofmasi 03-11-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegboy1 (Post 535667)
Really impossible to answer. Do you want it to load at 10 feet? 20feet? 30?

I am new to fly fishing, but one can only imagine that a 5 wt rod should cast comfortable from 10 - 60 ft with 5 wt line. Am I assuming to much?

So if any one has this rod you could just say " hey, I have WF5 wt Rio on mine and if feels smooth." or " This rod really needs 6wt line for any thing closer than 40'."

aggieoutlaw 03-11-2013 08:28 PM

I have the 7wt and preferred an 8wt line. I think the 7wt would be a fast but very useable 7wt rod.

thechroniclesofmasi 03-12-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieoutlaw (Post 535725)
I think the 7wt would be a fast but very useable 7wt rod.

Thanks for the info.

thechroniclesofmasi 04-04-2013 08:49 AM

Finally!

The review that everyone is dying to read>

I bought the Redington Pursuit 5wt for my trip and have cast it a few times.
First impression is WOW! this is a cheap rod. Horrible construction and a grip made of saw dust. What a disappointment.
But to answer my original question: I actually cast very nice with WF5WT floating Cabela's line. I can not complain about the casting accuracy or ability. However it is very heavy and has a heavy swing weight.

Would I buy one again. NO. Is it fine for a few trips a year. Not really, but it will have to do.

Case Closed.