The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?

Sorry for the one size fits all comment, it was intended to be a joke indicating that no one rod could ever be each of our favorites. I think the tendencies of the caster plays the largest role in determining what each fisherman enjoys.

Some of us underline, others overline, and we all typically cast different amounts of line out due to both our own level of experience / and also the circumstances in which we typically fish.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
A fly rod must also be able to resist impact damage and delamination. Fly rods can have identical action and power but resistance to impact and breakage can differ.

So give me a light fly rod with low swing weight that is sensitive and yet durable, resists twisting, has a great warranty at a low price and I'll be happy as a pig in mud.
Good stuff. I think that there are people in the industry that are letting hype and marketing get the best of them over what's actually good for the rods.

Gary Loomis once said, "I can make you a rod you can't break, but you wouldn't want to fish with it." What's going on in some respects is the polar opposite. They are making some rods that if you fish with them, are destined to break.
imxer likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Whoa what the hell happened to the graphs I put up?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I believe the good rod makers know what they are doing. What they are unable to control is us the consumer. Rods have been designed that use very high modulus fibers with little carbon scrim yielding narrow blank diameters with thin walls. These can be among the most interesting rods to fish with as they are super light weight and remarkably responsive. As I like to say, don't tow your boat trailer with a sports car. These technical marvels are going to be more pron to damage from casting weighted flies or impacts from banging around boats or whatever. So there is a trade off between durability and performance. The rod company can't say; umm, only use our rod for delicate presentation with unweighted flies...unless thy hope not to sell too many. I have long done and advocated owning more than one rod in a given line weight. When bonefishing, I will have at least two #8 rods aboard a skiff, secured beneath the gunwales in the rod holders. My super light weight "sports car" rod will accompany me wading, articulately presenting with supreme accuracy sparse crustacean imitations. My stout, thick walled, larger diameter "truck" rod, heavy but powerful, will be fished from the skiff in deeper water hauling lead-eyed crab payloads. I like both rods and I need both rods. I will further enhance my on flat performance by extending the quiver to include and even more responsive 7-wight and a heavier duty #9. And the same thing tout fishing with a short and long #4, two or three 5-weights and a 6 too. I rarely break a rod but I have and no doubt the sports cars fail more readily that the trucks. But I like the sports cars!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Whoa what the hell happened to the graphs I put up?
WT: Good question! I never did get a look at the graphs, the first time I looked at your post it looked just the way it does now.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I fixed it, you can see what I mean now.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

in today's rod market....any rod that cost more than about $200 surpasses my casting abilities. So, if I blindly pick up a $200 rod, it would serve me well for its intended use. All I need is some practice and get the feel of the rod.

Following is my equation for a better rod.

Made in USA/Canada/England (by fishermen for fishermen) + design (taper, blank alignment, weight distribution, flex, vibration dampening etc) + craftsmanship (cosmetics and attention to details) + aesthetics (subdued is better, read: no NRX blue accent).

I think Manufacturer's marketing does a lot to our subconscious minds when it come to buying a rod. if you put what functions makes a rod a better rod vs. what improvements the manufacturers chose to introduce over the period of last 10 years....there is a serious disconnect. Like every other aspect of our modern life, flashy things sells better. nano technology itself does not make a better rod. but, it sure gets the attention of affluent gear heads.

I love Burkheimer rods. as far as I am concerned they can make rods out of twigs and they will cast and fish better than any space age techno rod made in the far east assembly line. period.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

It is all about the color of wood they use.