The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   So what is it that makes one rod better than the next? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/313266-so-what-makes-one-rod-better-than-next.html)

pegboy1 03-11-2013 03:26 PM

So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
Im curious to what others think are attributes that make one red better than another?

Any two rods can have basically the same power and action. So what is it that makes one rod more desirable than another. Is it a rods general weight? Weight of a fly rod is extremely important in my book. The lighter the rod the easier it is to be felt loaded and lends to a generally more desirable feel. Is it balance? A balanced rod makes for a more comfortable day in terms of physical effort when casting a rod for any extended time. Responsiveness is also very important. A low frequency or less responsive rod also becomes harder to control in terms of loop control and accuracy.

So what do you think? What are the most important things that make one rod better than the next?

noreaster 03-11-2013 03:43 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
From what I understand (which isn't much) it's the taper and quality of materials used and how the graphite is rolled and under what conditions, and temperatures the blank goes through during said process.

troutnut4 03-11-2013 03:45 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
To understand what makes one rod "Better" than another, you have to know what each of us think better means. Each individual's opinion is guided by different views. For some, price affects their opinion, for others, aesthetics (that beautiful green blank), and for others how they feel and cast. Is it a fast action, a slow action, a long or shot rod.? To each his own and not one shoe fits all.:D Just my opinion.:frogdance

pegboy1 03-11-2013 04:00 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by troutnut4 (Post 535658)
To understand what makes one rod "Better" than another, you have to know what each of us think better means. Each individual's opinion is guided by different views. For some, price affects their opinion, for others, aesthetics (that beautiful green blank), and for others how they feel and cast. Is it a fast action, a slow action, a long or shot rod.? To each his own and not one shoe fits all.:D Just my opinion.:frogdance

Thats exactly what I'm looking for from others. What is it that the individual thinks makes for a better rod?

charged 03-11-2013 04:47 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
Although I'm sure quality varies greatly in relationship to price, my answer is going to be primarily the caster.

A setup that is a favorite for one, can feel completely uncompelling in anothers hand. I think most fly-fisherman have an individual feel that is engrained into subconsciousness, a setup that is matched to the skill of the caster just feels natural, it manages to take most the work out of the equation. At this point, you no longer have to adjust to the rod. The rod becomes an extension of what already feels like a normal motion.

I think as one gains experience casting, the feel that is desired in a rod also gradually changes as one becomes more efficient in their own movements. I believe that's why most of us will never ultimately feel completely satisfied with what we already got.

The more a Fly-Fisherman fishes, the more aware they become of what feels best according to their own individual preferences.

I think every caster, even the beginner should at lest pick up three lines, one specked out for the rod, one slightly heavier, and one lighter. This will go a long way in determining what feels best. (in addition this gives you an excuse to pick up more niche type of setups somewhere down the road.)

imxer 03-11-2013 04:51 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegboy1 (Post 535654)
Im curious to what others think are attributes that make one red better than another?

Any two rods can have basically the same power and action. So what is it that makes one rod more desirable than another. Is it a rods general weight? Weight of a fly rod is extremely important in my book. The lighter the rod the easier it is to be felt loaded and lends to a generally more desirable feel. Is it balance? A balanced rod makes for a more comfortable day in terms of physical effort when casting a rod for any extended time. Responsiveness is also very important. A low frequency or less responsive rod also becomes harder to control in terms of loop control and accuracy.

So what do you think? What are the most important things that make one rod better than the next?

-------------------------

The designer. ;)

paul

moucheur2003 03-11-2013 07:11 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegboy1 (Post 535654)
Im curious to what others think are attributes that make one red better than another?

Advertising copywriters.

mikel 03-11-2013 07:21 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
this is a tough crowd today :p

charged 03-11-2013 08:00 PM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
My favorite rod is from a custom manufacturer, and says one size fits all! :eek:

Honestly a question like this could never be answered. We could take the top 10 fly fisherman off this site, give them all the resources available, and each of them would end up picking a different rod / reel / line, as much of this hobby is determined on personnel preference, that's just all a part of the fun.

troutnut4 03-12-2013 06:01 AM

Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by charged (Post 535752)
My favorite rod is from a custom manufacturer, and says one size fits all! :eek:

Honestly a question like this could never be answered. We could take the top 10 fly fisherman off this site, give them all the resources available, and each of them would end up picking a different rod / reel / line, as much of this hobby is determined on personnel preference, that's just all a part of the fun.

I think that's the point I was trying to make in post #3. :D I do find it interesting that your favorite rod is from a "custom manufacturer" states: (one size fits all). If that was so, is he only producing one rod design? I would think that a "custom" builder produces a variety of rods...to suit a variety of customers' tastes therefore contradicting himself.:confused: Maybe I am misreading the comment.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.