The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?

Im curious to what others think are attributes that make one red better than another?

Any two rods can have basically the same power and action. So what is it that makes one rod more desirable than another. Is it a rods general weight? Weight of a fly rod is extremely important in my book. The lighter the rod the easier it is to be felt loaded and lends to a generally more desirable feel. Is it balance? A balanced rod makes for a more comfortable day in terms of physical effort when casting a rod for any extended time. Responsiveness is also very important. A low frequency or less responsive rod also becomes harder to control in terms of loop control and accuracy.

So what do you think? What are the most important things that make one rod better than the next?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: So what is it that makes one rod better than the next?

From what I understand (which isn't much) it's the taper and quality of materials used and how the graphite is rolled and under what conditions, and temperatures the blank goes through during said process.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

To understand what makes one rod "Better" than another, you have to know what each of us think better means. Each individual's opinion is guided by different views. For some, price affects their opinion, for others, aesthetics (that beautiful green blank), and for others how they feel and cast. Is it a fast action, a slow action, a long or shot rod.? To each his own and not one shoe fits all. Just my opinion.
wt bash, mysticm, attila and 2 others like this.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
To understand what makes one rod "Better" than another, you have to know what each of us think better means. Each individual's opinion is guided by different views. For some, price affects their opinion, for others, aesthetics (that beautiful green blank), and for others how they feel and cast. Is it a fast action, a slow action, a long or shot rod.? To each his own and not one shoe fits all. Just my opinion.
Thats exactly what I'm looking for from others. What is it that the individual thinks makes for a better rod?
attila likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Although I'm sure quality varies greatly in relationship to price, my answer is going to be primarily the caster.

A setup that is a favorite for one, can feel completely uncompelling in anothers hand. I think most fly-fisherman have an individual feel that is engrained into subconsciousness, a setup that is matched to the skill of the caster just feels natural, it manages to take most the work out of the equation. At this point, you no longer have to adjust to the rod. The rod becomes an extension of what already feels like a normal motion.

I think as one gains experience casting, the feel that is desired in a rod also gradually changes as one becomes more efficient in their own movements. I believe that's why most of us will never ultimately feel completely satisfied with what we already got.

The more a Fly-Fisherman fishes, the more aware they become of what feels best according to their own individual preferences.

I think every caster, even the beginner should at lest pick up three lines, one specked out for the rod, one slightly heavier, and one lighter. This will go a long way in determining what feels best. (in addition this gives you an excuse to pick up more niche type of setups somewhere down the road.)

Last edited by charged; 03-11-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Im curious to what others think are attributes that make one red better than another?

Any two rods can have basically the same power and action. So what is it that makes one rod more desirable than another. Is it a rods general weight? Weight of a fly rod is extremely important in my book. The lighter the rod the easier it is to be felt loaded and lends to a generally more desirable feel. Is it balance? A balanced rod makes for a more comfortable day in terms of physical effort when casting a rod for any extended time. Responsiveness is also very important. A low frequency or less responsive rod also becomes harder to control in terms of loop control and accuracy.

So what do you think? What are the most important things that make one rod better than the next?
-------------------------

The designer.

paul
rubberguy, djamtime and troutnut4 like this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Advertising copywriters.
wt bash likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

this is a tough crowd today
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

My favorite rod is from a custom manufacturer, and says one size fits all!

Honestly a question like this could never be answered. We could take the top 10 fly fisherman off this site, give them all the resources available, and each of them would end up picking a different rod / reel / line, as much of this hobby is determined on personnel preference, that's just all a part of the fun.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
My favorite rod is from a custom manufacturer, and says one size fits all!

Honestly a question like this could never be answered. We could take the top 10 fly fisherman off this site, give them all the resources available, and each of them would end up picking a different rod / reel / line, as much of this hobby is determined on personnel preference, that's just all a part of the fun.
I think that's the point I was trying to make in post #3. I do find it interesting that your favorite rod is from a "custom manufacturer" states: (one size fits all). If that was so, is he only producing one rod design? I would think that a "custom" builder produces a variety of rods...to suit a variety of customers' tastes therefore contradicting himself. Maybe I am misreading the comment.