The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Glass rods ?

So I'm thinking of a glass rod for small brook trout streams. I got a nice Cortland Retro reel loaded with a 2wt line and 6 and a half foot graphite rod that I like but it's a bit stiff until I get enough line out. I'm thinking of a glass rod in 2-4 wt(my first flyrod was glass)and putting my Retro on it. Tell me what you know about glass please.

Last edited by attila; 03-12-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Glass rods ?

I have Scott Fiberglass 7ft 3wt. Absolutely love it, may be my faborite rod. So smooth and wonderful to cast and an absolute joy to catch even small fish on.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I own a handful of glass rods and enjoy them.They take me back to my roots as a kid.Much more forgiving than my graphite rods,although I love them too.For short line fishing,glass is superior to graphite IMHO.There are lots of classic glass on the big auction site that can be had for a song.I have a Fenwick FF806 that just fishes great for bass and whatever else I want it to do.Check out the fiberglassflyrodders.com for more info.These guys live and breath glass.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 vintage Wight&McGill 6.5' Feather Light rods.
They say that they're HEH (5DT) but they're really more of a 3/4wt.
With a 4wt line these rods will load with only about a foot of fly line out of the tip-top and I can do that with the rod "choked-up" and held behind my back.
There's a lot of them around, but don't make the mistake of confusing them with modern Eagleclaw rods.... not the same.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Attila: I can't help with your question on glass rods, but there has been several discussions on this topic in the past, you might take a look at some of those to see if there is any information of interest for you.
The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Search Results

FYI: I found that info by clicking on the search function, then selecting "Advanced Search" then in the block Keywords, typing in "fiberglass" and then selecting in the Search Forum "Fly Rods". Hope that helps.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried it yet but I recently bought a 7' Phillipson Royal Wand.
Looking forward to that
Phillipsons are about the best (common) vintage glass rods that you can find.
And if you ever see a nice example of one of the shorter models for cheap, snap it up. You won't be sorry
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
So I'm thinking of a glass rod for small brook trout streams. I got a nice Cortland Retro reel loaded with a 2wt line and 6 and a half foot graphite rod that I like but it's a bit stiff until I get enough line out. I'm thinking of a glass rod in 2-4 wt(my first flyrod was glass)and putting my Retro on it. Tell me what you know about glass please.
Attila, I am happy that you raised the question. I have been toying with the idea of picking up a glass Hardy "Aln", 5', 2 weight. I will watch for feedback on your post and maybe benefit from other's experience.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Only glass rod I have at the moment is an 11 footer (think it was originally a 9wt) that was done up a 2hander. Under that build you get a 6/7 and its a total delight to use as a 'swith rod.'

Can easily hit 70- 80 feet off the reel with a Scandi or Skatit head. The added bennie is the short length really allows for short casts (30 - 50 feet) which is a frequent situation here on the upper Rogue.
fae
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Fred, I think that may be a little much for "small brook trout streams"
Unless of course you plan on staying in the car and just hanging the rod out the window
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I will grant your point there RT. But there are trout (mostly cutthroat) in the Rogue. And when you're swinging size 10 and 12's for summer steelhead, you never know what you might find.