The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Rod Weight and Price/Performance

The long and short of this question is, all things being equal, would you pay more for a light weight rod or a heavier rod?

I'm still pretty new to this, but I find myself more willing to pony up for a light weight rod than a heavier one. Admittedly I don't fish salt, and to be perfectly honest I paid more for my 8wt than any of my other rods (still only around $160), but I feel like I'd be willing to spend more for a higher end small rod than a big rod.

My rationale is that with a smaller rod I'm going more for accuracy and presentation, so I think of it more as a precision instrument. Bigger rod for steelhead and salmon I'm thinking more like chuck and duck, swinging streamers and eggs, not too worried about presentation and accuracy. Thoughts.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Rod Weight and Price/Performance

Well me personally would live to have a high end 2wt rod over any other rod wt out there..but mainly that's because I can fish it anywhere and have fun catching just about any size fish. That will most likely be my next rod
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rod Weight and Price/Performance

I don't notice the difference so much with rods for lighter lines. When you're casting longer distances all day with rods designed to hurl heavier lines and play heavier fish, though, a significantly lighter rod is much easier on your arm and wrist.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'm a fan of small weight rods,,,2's and 3weights. 3wt prob being my favorite..so, I put money into what I fish most. I think a TRO, BVK would suffice for your heavy line weight rod without forcing you to mortgage all your belongings. So, I'm kinda like you..I'll put my money into what I fish more and love most,,and that is small stream trout for me.

If I liked big water most, I'd buy the best I could afford for that,,but I don't and I ain't.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

I say spend the most on the rod you will fish the most.

Correction: Get the best possible of the rod you fish the most.
fly_guy12955 and alexs like this.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM

ctyslcr is on a distinguished road

If you want to look into a nice 2wt that will not break the bank but is a well made American product take a look at the St. Croix Avid 2 wt. I bought one and set it up with the Sage Click II and the balance is exceptional. I'm anxious to get out and do some small stream fishing this year.

Regards,
Peter
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the guys fishing for bonefish would say that accuracy is every bit as important as it is with trout fishing, and they would add accuarcy at distances as well. When the guide says, "Cast 60 feet there" they usually mean right now, real close, and nothing that slaps the water. Saltwater fish move alot, and they move quickly. Miss the chance to get your fly in front of them, and it might be a while before you get another opportunity.

I fish freshwater, and enjoy a light crisp premium rod even when fishing for crappie and pumpkinseed. I don't discriminate among fish, but I am discriminating when it comes to rods.

The idea of dumping your money into the rod(s) you fish the most is a good one. Even if you don't have a premium bonefish rod, I believe the guides will have one for you.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I was recently listening to an interview with Tim Rajeff (though I don't recall if it was a recent interview or not--certainly within the past few years) who said that the ultra-tech graphite is better used in a heavier weight rod, and that it was harder to tell the difference in a lighter line weight. To me, that makes sense. He went on to say that it's possible to create rods that behave the same (length, # pieces, action, line weight) with different materials. The only difference is in the weight of the rod. It seems to me that in lower line weights that weight difference would be less noticeable.

I bought or built them before hearing this interview, but my lighter line weight rods tend to be a lower tech graphite, or fiberglass, and my heavier weight rods tend to be more high tech.
imxer, Guest1 and moucheur2003 like this.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
The long and short of this question is, all things being equal, would you pay more for a light weight rod or a heavier rod?

I'm still pretty new to this, but I find myself more willing to pony up for a light weight rod than a heavier one. Admittedly I don't fish salt, and to be perfectly honest I paid more for my 8wt than any of my other rods (still only around $160), but I feel like I'd be willing to spend more for a higher end small rod than a big rod.

My rationale is that with a smaller rod I'm going more for accuracy and presentation, so I think of it more as a precision instrument. Bigger rod for steelhead and salmon I'm thinking more like chuck and duck, swinging streamers and eggs, not too worried about presentation and accuracy. Thoughts.
I see a lot of that as wrong in the general assumptions. First of all a heavy weight rod cost what in comparison to a light wt rod to make? It should be essentially equal from a single maker.

Second, the idea that a light wt. like a 2 is a more precision instrument than say a 6 is also I believe a false assumption. Just because you have a big rod does not mean you need to give up acuracy, and in fact about 99.99% of that accuracy is you and not the rod. If the rod has any part in it, being that a toy of a rod like a 2 wt, which you are not going to be casting any real distance more than likely compared to say a 10 wt in the salt where you are, I would rather have the heavy rod be the one contributing to accuracy.

Lastly, chuck and duck is not fly fishing and I don't care who says it is. I can do it with my spinning rod and that pretty much proves my point. Even swinging streamers It might be a good idea to hit a spot where you can swing it past a fish. Besides, the idea that that is all you do with a big rod is just wrong. I don't think your statement comes from a good grasp of what big rods or for that matter small rods do.
sweetandsalt likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Guys, just for the record. I wasn't knocking big rods,,I just don't have big water. But,,,,,,,,,if I fished big water,,a lot..I'd strive for the best I could own. I'm no certified expert on much, however I do play an expert on the internet LOL ,,I just happen to have a lot of small water,,and use smaller rods,,,,,,,,,,cause of the smaller fish. Form follows function I suppose.

My fav all purpose would prob be a 4 or 5 wt, (prob the 4) 9 ft'er of decent manufacture. But seriously, when a great deal of your trout fishing is 10" stockers (it's a bummer trust me) a 3wt does pretty good. I wouldn't take it for bass on New River though...or even were they stocked really 'hefty trout.' On these small mountain trout streams, I rarely have more than 3 or 4 foot of flyline out of the guides. And, it's mostly all roll casting. Still,,I want a nice rod for that,,,,(have one coming maybe tomorrow !)

Guess in the end,,one has to consider conditions, local and desires. We all love good equipment I suppose...I know I'm not immune to desiring quality over and beyond what is 'needed'. Is it worth it ? umm,,guess the individual has to decide that. Sometimes I think I waste a lot of money for a po' kid. but dang I'v had a hoot wasting it !

Pride of ownership,, a weird thang, eh ?

I still wanna see Dan's 20ft rod when he builds it ! mite give me the bug ,,,! I can always use the trout I catch for Muskie bait on New River then ! (just joking)

Michael