The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best 2wt under $300

Getting into the ultralight game and looking for a good 2wt under $300. I would also prefer something over 6'6''. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best 2wt under $300

Check out this link, it's got comprehensive reviews on a bunch of 2wts and important information on each.

You could keep an eye out on ebay for a St. Croix Legend Ultra.

2-Weight Fly Rod Shoot-Out Review, A Fly Fish Ohio Exclusive Look At 22 Fly Rods!
attila likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

yes the legend ultra is a gem in all weights and sizes. i could strangle the genius at st croix who thought it was a good idea to discontinue thaat rod series.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 2 wt St Croix Legend Ultra 7' 6".

It's my second 2 wt. I still like the 6' Imperial better. The Ultra is a very good rod. I just like the smaller one better.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
yes the legend ultra is a gem in all weights and sizes. i could strangle the genius at st croix who thought it was a good idea to discontinue thaat rod series.
give it time... remember... st croix also discontinued the Imperial line for awhile and just recently brought it back after tweeking the design... sure the same will happen with the Legend Ultra
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I've looked at the imperial. 6' is a little short for my tastes considering overhead cover isn't going to be an issue for me. That and I'm not very fond of the color. Thinking of the Echo Carbon 2wt, but wondering if its a little too heavy for a 2wt.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

St. Croix Legend Ultra or Echo Carbon. There was a 2wt Shootout on another site. Or if you can find a used Orvis UltraFine.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
give it time... remember... st croix also discontinued the Imperial line for awhile and just recently brought it back after tweeking the design... sure the same will happen with the Legend Ultra
Valid point, but I am not so certain. The imperial did not have a line that was created after its demise to fill that niche- while the LU was scrapped in favor of the Legend Elites, which are fine fly rods, just a bit too fast for my taste.

Nick K,

The ERN (effective rod number) of each rod is given on the link I mentioned. The ERN of the echo carbon 2wt puts it t 2.23, squarley in the range of a standard 2wt. It shouldn't be too heavy.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Some good suggestions were listed. Due some research on the Redington Tempt (formerly known as the Classic Trout). It is a great value at the $169.95 price point.

Here is a review that I wrote back in 2010 about the Redington CT 376-4.

Dennis
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

the thing i liked best about the ultra was it was quality at a great price point . you could look at the price and build of the rod as well as cast it and know you had a quality fly rod but it wouldnt break the bank. and the actions were quick and crisp but not overly fast.