The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Finally got the new Sage One out today

I picked up a 9' 3wt Sage One over the winter and paired it up with a Nautilus FWX. I chose Rio Gold for the line in a WF3W for this set up per others recommendations.

First off, the tuning fork did not go off in my loins on the first few casts. I also did not experience some sort of a harmonic convergence, nor was there a parting of the Big Thompson as I waded in.

I have never owned a 3wt longer than 7'10". I do own a fair amount of nine footers just in 4&6wt. I will say it was nice to have a lighter rod still with extra length to mend the line. So I will try to break this down with making it sound like jibberish

This rod in conjunction with me really struggled in close with really light payloads. Defining in close would be less than 10' of floating line out. Light payload would be defined as a size 20 rs2 trailed by a size 24 zebra midge. I am used to being able to flip line around in this scenario,with my TXL or ZXL , I really couldn't today with the ONE. I found my self having to do a "steeple cast" , taking the backcast up steep and really having an agressive forward stroke to make it work. Now still talking in close when running a bigger fly like a size 12 stonefly or a triple of size 18 beadheads it was fine.

In midrange distance something like 15-25' of floating line this rod was much better, very easy to cast, didn't have to think about my stroke much. Both light rigs and medium heavy set ups were fine at this range.

Now 25+' of line out. Holy cow this thing came alive. Effortless casts of 45' even in to a decent wind. While it was very accurate at short ranges it was just as accurate at these longer distances, if not more so. I am not a huge proponent of casting for distance but in this case I changed my mind a hair. Having the ability to cast further up than the runs I was trying to get my nymphs in to was nice. I was able to hit my target, catch the seam and mend appropriately.

I won't tell you I came home doing cart wheels, dreaming how to afford another one. I will say in the right situation it is a very impressive rod. I will not be using this rod for small stream situations where I typically run very little floating line out, but I doubt this was what this rod was designed for.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally got the new Sage One out today

Sounds like a fun day Avs. Nice write up of the One. I recognize the rod is designed around Gold, but why not try another line that might give you an advantage for casting in close if that's your primary method of fishing?

On the other hand, you could stick with Gold and get yourself a Circa for a longer rod that's better fishing in close
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Sounds like a fun day Avs. Nice write up of the One. I recognize the rod is designed around Gold, but why not try another line that might give you an advantage for casting in close if that's your primary method of fishing?

On the other hand, you could stick with Gold and get yourself a Circa for a longer rod that's better fishing in close

You are evil for suggesting a Circa

I might try Rio Grand one of these days if I find I can't live without it. I will really only fish this ONE on rivers that are 40+ feet wide and not really need the sub ten feet of line casts. So I should be fine, also I usually during the summer run bigger rigs so in close will be better.

For now I will have to "live with" my three TXL's and ZXL for close quarters fishing.

However I do have the big 40 coming up in June hmmmmm
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Avs, it's only a matter of time.

Sounds like you have the primary application for your 390 covered which is great. Add to that your TXL's and ZXL for short distances and I'd bet you're good. Playing with lines on a rod is a great way to learn about a rod if you have access to different lines in the given weight. Whether they're yours or some of your fishing buds.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats on the purchase of your new "One". From the experience you had with this "Rocket Launcher", I think that George Anderson's shootout article was right on the money. I love the 3 weight ZXL I have and am looking at a Circa for my next addiction (addition) to my collection. I have seen comments that state that the Circa is a Sage 389-3 LL or 489 LL cousin. Good luck with your new rod.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I hope you enjoy it! I just bought a much more modest 8' 3 wt Redington CT on clearance, the first rod I've ever had lighter than a 4, to see what light-line fans are so excited about. It's pretty remarkable that Sage can build a 3 weight that can perform at that kind of distance, but to be honest, I have trouble imagining a situation where I'd need that kind of distance but would not feel more confident using a 4 or a 5. Is that realistic or just my own limited experience? I don't know.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 AM

alexs will become famous soon enough

Congratulations & enjoy your new toy!
You could overline it with a 4 wt WF line; it will work better for short line applications.

Tight lines,
Alex
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I hope you enjoy it! I just bought a much more modest 8' 3 wt Redington CT on clearance, the first rod I've ever had lighter than a 4, to see what light-line fans are so excited about. It's pretty remarkable that Sage can build a 3 weight that can perform at that kind of distance, but to be honest, I have trouble imagining a situation where I'd need that kind of distance but would not feel more confident using a 4 or a 5. Is that realistic or just my own limited experience? I don't know.
You know I am not a beat on my chest , look at me I can cast far kind of guy. I would find trying to throw a size 22 nypmh alone problematic with a 4 or 5 wt. I took my Zaxis 4wt in to Cheeseman canyon last year and ended up throwing just a size 22 BWO and it was a pain in the but getting it to turn over. But if I put on a size 18 beadhead it works fine.

I didn't go out with the intention of casting for distance, rather I found I could actually hit the runs better and get better drifts by putting my fly where I wanted it and in some cases that was 20' further than I would normally cast it.

There are a lot of guys much more technical than me on here so they might be able to explain it better or flat tell me I'm loco.

I think you will enjoy the Redington alot.

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
Congrats on the purchase of your new "One". From the experience you had with this "Rocket Launcher", I think that George Anderson's shootout article was right on the money. I love the 3 weight ZXL I have and am looking at a Circa for my next addiction (addition) to my collection. I have seen comments that state that the Circa is a Sage 389-3 LL or 489 LL cousin. Good luck with your new rod.
I love my 379 ZXL as well. I am really finding it hard to believe the Circa is $500 better ( Circa- what is sell my z for = $500).

I am sure it feels great in the hand but the ZXL does everything I want so hard to justify the cost, but you never know. I also said same thing about Abel nippers
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Avs, you need to work on that 490 with 22. I'd bet that you're more used to throwing them with one of your shorter rods since that's what you seem to fish most often. My observation is that we're in a similar situation in that we've both been expanding our quivers and have pretty good diversity amongst the rods we own.

I have rods that feel very natural to me and can just pick them up and cast them without thinking. Other rods, I find that I need really concentrate on my stroke. This can be both challenging and fun for me and I think is inherent with having more rods than I truly need.

I still think if you can, line that 390 with Grand or GPX, hell maybe even Gold in 4 and see what it can do. Try to use the lines you or others already own rather than buy new stuff. You just might find that carrying an extra reel or spool loaded with another line gives you all the versatility you'd need to throw nymphs, streamers and dries with that one rod on that one stream.

As I write this and think about my own situation, I realize that things were much more simple when I had literally just a couple of fly rods. I'm not so sure it was quite as much fun though.

By the way Avs, that Circa isn't going to be $500 better than your ZXL, it's going to be $500 different.
imxer, fishiowa and comeonavs like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

10' of delicate front taper is not going to load many rods well and surely not a crisp tipped ONE. However, an issue with fly size should not have any impact on your casting either your new ONE or the Z-, the line should be transferring more than adequate energy to the leader to turn it over just as you want it to. Regarding the matter of epiphany when casting your new ONE, as I have written before, you must work at familiarizing yourself to this model as it is not your average fly rod, it needs to be learned to reveal its unique properties. Though I have not cast the #3 I am confident you will fall in love with it as spring warms to summer.