The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Dan, do you know when Flying Pig is gonna have their Steel series of rods will be available ? I'm kinda interested in the 10' , 8wt'er for New River fishing.

They are handsome rods to be sure.

Michael
No I don't. If you PM Pegboy or call them. The number is on the site, I'm sure they can tell you. I think they may have been a bit back logged. The price you pay for being popular huh? I think delopez has talked to them a bit. Maybe he can tell you. I think he got a Liqued series 7 or 8.

The only one I have cast is my 9' 4 pc. 8 wt. Liqued Series. Love the dang thing. As soon as it gets warm I am going to try casting it with a different line or two on it. I have a Barrio GT 120 on it right now. That's a fun combo. It has a 74 or so foot head on it. Yahoo! It's been so darned cold here lately I'm afraid to cast it though. Don't want to bust the fly line.

And yes they are handsome rods. I think I mentioned in my review I wrote on them that that was the first thing that struck me. Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I don't think it takes any longer to make a 'Handsome' rod than it does a robo rod . (Robo rod is the copyrighted intellectual property of Sacred Cow Tippers Inc.)
stuie675 likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I cant wait for their driftless rod to come out personally, since I dont do much fishing for needing a heavier weight. Maybe one day I can travel somewhere with some nice big fish, but I emailed the other day asking about their other rods. Will let you guys know what I find out.

Also asked if they had plans on any reels hahahaha
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 AM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie675 View Post
I cant wait for their driftless rod to come out personally, since I dont do much fishing for needing a heavier weight. Maybe one day I can travel somewhere with some nice big fish, but I emailed the other day asking about their other rods. Will let you guys know what I find out.

Also asked if they had plans on any reels hahahaha
They don't seem to answer emails very quickly or at all. I sent them an email on Friday 3/16 about where their fly rods are manufactured...USA, China, Korea...etc...no response.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 AM

They have answered my emails everytime, first time being that it took them months for me to get my rod to begin with but that is when I found out they were just bombarded by orders, for where their rods are made I thought I saw somewhere that they made the rods in house, and that is was all family members helping out, but I could be wrong. I will try and find that article.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:49 AM
sbreech

That would be good information. Thanks Stuie. So many of the newer "companies" nowadays order their stuff from China and slap their names on the products and call them new. I'm not a big fan of that, although the flying pig logo is kinda cool - I don't know about for a fly rod, but still cool.

As far as cosmetics, I still prefer the more subdued colors of rods, like most Sage rods, over the factory / custom rods that have more colors than local rainbow parades. When in nature, blend a bit.
cw76 and noreaster like this.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 AM

I have no issue with stuff coming from Asia, it is all about quality control, but I know some prefer the built in America thing. Which of course I like, but again I am not 100% on where they get their stuff. Once I get out of this damn office I will try to find it.

Also just noticed you can now buy the driftless even though the front page coming soon if you click it you can buy it now and there are even some reviews of it out there.

Last edited by stuie675; 03-20-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Do I own Sage rods? One that I won 20 years ago. But, I am building a Sage "One" switch and for the life of me I can't find a spine in any section and the blank is ramrod straight. Would I buy a prebuilt Sage "One"? No, too boring and I can do a better job. Why? I am not a production shop, I am a custom one off rod builder. I can afford to turn down custom builds if I don't like the way a customer wants a custom build done. Sage can't, so they put out what they think the majority of their target population wants or better yet will tolerate.

Even after buying the Sage "One" blank and adding top quality components and my labor it will come out cheaper than buying a run of the mill Sage "One" off the shelf.
Hi Pete,
Two things... Should the spine on a Konnetic technology rod be easy to find, or even present to begin with? I've looked at the pictures of the aligned fibers, and even listened to Jerry Siem talk about it, but I'm not an engineer.

The one thing that would prevent me from even trying a Sage ONE (besides the fact that my present rods work fine ), is the snub nose grip. I hate the way it looks, and can't imagine it being comfortable for the way I hold a rod. Same would go for any of the Joan Wulff Favorite rods, with a thumb indentation.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Forgive me for dragging out an already beat to pieces subject, but I just can't help myself. . Fairly new to this forum and see that its like every other forum. When it comes to various topics we get off the subject faster than a Brown slurping in a Caddis.
Sort of like good, campfire conversations, no?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I think some manufacturers and/or their reps do glance at our forum now and then. I would guess that, were Sage to take good read on this thread, they would say to themselves; "hey most of these folks love the way our rods perform, cool!" I do not think though, that they would entertain a serious internal discussion about scribing their name and data on their rods by hand like Winston, Scott and I think, T&T do...I happen to prefere that cosmetic detail myself as many of the rest of you do too. There are some odd looking (good odd and not good odd) factory rods our there. I enjoyed casting St. Croix's "Bank Robber" in January. Super fast and mottled light grey in color, it has barbed wire surrounding its Bank Robber name and the shaft of the blank is exposed inside its skeleton reel seat. Hot casting rod. A Loomis representative talked to me about NRX which has a dead fish skeleton emblazoned on its woven reel seat spacer (it didn't smell though). It comes in two colors, green with green wraps and flat graphite grey with opaque cerulean blue wraps. The Loomis man said something like; we make a pretty green NRX for those that need to look traditional but we expect hard cases like you to shout to the World, "hey I fish NRX!", by selecting the distinctive bright blue on flay gray original which even at distance can not be confused with anything else. Therefore, both my trout and salt NRX's are the hard core version, what choice do I have? When I bought my GLX #5 a quarter century ago, I went into a friends shop who had 14 of them in stock. None of them were close to straight. Sweep this way and that, I bought the straightest one with the closest attempt to being splined. It had inelegant cork but cast like crazy. Some companies, Scott and Sage are careful about this, build straighter blanks today than they used to. Companies like these are focusing a lot on their newest most challenging products at the high end of their offerings.

For the sake of this thread, I just pulled my early sample of ONE #5 out of its case and sighted and splined the tip. It is straight as an arrow and the spline is not strongly pronounced but surely exists. I rolled it a few times to be sure and the guides are mounted on the soft side as they should be but are off spline by about a fifth of a rotation; not enough to affect tracking. There are few or no rods more accurate than this ONE.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

I am on a roll (literally). I just pulled the one year old NRX #4 and its tip has a very slight, barely noticeable sweep. Rolling it several times revealed a remarkable uniformity; it popped to the right or left an equal number of times. As much as this says about the build/design quality of the blank; the guides are mounted perpendicular to the spline! Like it doesn't make a difference. Which, when fishing it I actually haven't noticed...I wonder if I will now? There are still 5 or more weeks before this rod will return to serious action, maybe I should slip a scrap of paper on it to remind myself to pay attention to the rod tip/line motion instead of the, ahem, the RISING TROUT!
dean_mt and kwb like this.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
So many of the newer "companies" nowadays order their stuff from China and slap their names on the products and call them new.

As far as cosmetics, I still prefer the more subdued colors of rods, like most Sage rods, over the factory / custom rods that have more colors than local rainbow parades. When in nature, blend a bit.

If you looked at the blank and felt what it was like you would know it's not China. I have never seen a Chinese blank of that quality. Korean stuff is often pretty darned good. I am not sure where the blanks come from. I would bet a paycheck it isn't China. The trend things are going, I'll bet it won't be more than two or three years and almost everyone will be forced to move offshore. There are consequences to what's going on. Like the politician that said minimum wage should be $22/hr. That's great till you realize it means a $17 Big Mac.

"Not gay, just like raibows." ~ Dimitri Martin

By the way, you can have somebody make a camo rod for you. That way it's so in tune with nature when you set it down you can't find it.
Closed Thread