The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Some years ago I enjoyed the privilege of being the guest of an elderly, richly experienced salmon expert; a man I could really learn a lot from. His water was the magnificent upper section of a crystal clear river far out on the Gaspe Peninsula. He took me, one fine morning, to a big, deep, slow flowing pool and, as we gazed from a high bank into its depths, squadrons of salmon were visible barely moving a fin. A few were very large and at least one may have gone 50 pounds. It was our intent to only fish a dry fly to these fish. We approached the pool by descending a steep bank through the forest and wading out into the tail of the pool. At that time, Gary Loomis's GLX rods were quite the rage and I had a 10'/#8 which was unpainted, sanded to a matte grey finish with black thread wraps, a black anodized reel seat and reel. We stood quietly surveying the fish and the subtle currents. And, when instructed, I raised my rod to make the first cast, the salmon immediately exhibited agitation...drop the fly behind you he implored. The fish see your rod's movement or a glint of light off it he suggested. We carefully backed out, headed downstream, crossed the river and approached the big pool from the other side. Now we can cast with better light, he explained, and I did so several times with no disturbance to the fish until, mid drift, one fine hen, not the giant one but not too bad, twitched her pectorals and rose through the column of water, drifted back with my bomber and inhaled it...then, as she leaped for the sun, the rest of the fish became disturbed again.

I honestly don't believe it mattered that the rod was cosmetically stealthy, it was obviously the position we were in relative to the morning light's angel and when we fished from a better position the rod could have been International Orange and it would not have mattered though it would have looked out of place on the rustic camp's rod rack.
FrankB2, Guest1, caseywise and 6 others like this.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I honestly don't believe it mattered that the rod was cosmetically stealthy, it was obviously the position we were in relative to the morning light's angel and when we fished from a better position the rod could have been International Orange and it would not have mattered though it would have looked out of place on the rustic camp's rod rack.
Great post, great point and well written.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you looked at the blank and felt what it was like you would know it's not China. I have never seen a Chinese blank of that quality. Korean stuff is often pretty darned good. I am not sure where the blanks come from. I would bet a paycheck it isn't China. The trend things are going, I'll bet it won't be more than two or three years and almost everyone will be forced to move offshore. There are consequences to what's going on. Like the politician that said minimum wage should be $22/hr. That's great till you realize it means a $17 Big Mac.

"Not gay, just like raibows." ~ Dimitri Martin

By the way, you can have somebody make a camo rod for you. That way it's so in tune with nature when you set it down you can't find it.
Somehow I don't think you'd actually honor that bet. Here it is, straight from Flying Pigs themselves...

"Steve,
The rods are of Chinese origin. They are however designed from the ground up by Flying Pig and produced there exclusively for us..

Thanks
Larry"

Just like every other importer says (Allen, flying pig, etc) they have designed them from the ground up and are made exclusively for them.

And a rod doesn't have to be "camo," just something that blends in with nature. Some people like neutral, some are attracted to bling bling.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Huh! I woulda never thunk it. They are such nice blanks I couldn't imagine them being made there. Well If if I did I sure wouldn't have made the bet comment. Could knock em over with a feather. A really really big feather anyway.

And I'll give you this weeks paycheck. (Didn't work this week. )
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Yeah that is a surprise to me, still love their stuff and it is proof with quality control good stuff can come from that area.

Even though my China rod is not 100% USA, it is still supporting a very good small company, and I also got a reply back from Larry today, the steel still does not have a release date sadly.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't believe it could happen, but the abel nipper thread lives on in another form! Anybody got a wooden stake or a silver bullet?

Pray to the fishing gods that spring comes soon, across the country.........
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The family is trying to help me afford some Abel nippers. Sis went into prostitution, my son sold one of my grand-kids, and the wife is going to a seedy hotel today to sell a kidney to some Chinese black-market fella.

Those efforts along with stealing out of the Church plate,,and I hope to in about three months send off for my nippers.

I want the brown trout colored ones.

Next on my list is a Sage ONE.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Your family needs to step it up, those nippers should have been in your hands three days ago.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I would suppose that Abel would custom color a nipper to match the shade of your Sage rod blank.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Or,,paint my Sage rod in a rainbow trout color lol