The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Getting a bit touchy are we?
Don't think so Dan, but I suppose you must be getting there.

Oh, and I thought I would correct this for you, it seems you forgot to add these 3 important words

Quote:
That brewhaha was kind of my fault for bringing up flying pig rods in the first place. I just wanted to point it IN MY OPINION, they are like Sage, a performance type rod. They look better and cost a heck of a lot less.

Truthfully, not all Sage rods are butt ugly. They have a few single baggers. Even those look they were built in a hurry though. Hey, the ugly need love also.
Your quite welcome for the correction!!

Respects,

Richard
Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
Don't think so Dan, but I suppose you must be getting there.

Oh, and I thought I would correct this for you, it seems you forgot to add these 3 important words

You're quite welcome for the correction!!

Respects,

Richard
Same to you
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me correct you, those three words were left out for a reason. Not an opinion, fact.
stuie675 likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Let me correct you, those three words were left out for a reason. Not an opinion, fact.

Yeah, just try one out and you all will be like OMG LIKE DAN WAS TOTALLY LIKE RIGHT!!!

Yes you will turn into a teenage girl once you try out a FP rod and look how much it cost you.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Dan, I know you think your word is gospel, but it doesn't work that way. It's only your opinion, and your opinion holds no more value than mine, or any other member on this forum.

Respects,

Richard
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dan, I know you think your word is gospel, but it doesn't work that way. It's only your opinion, and your opinion holds no more value than mine, or any other member on this forum.

Respects,

Richard
It's not an opinion. The Sage rods I have cast were clunky feeling and did not cast as well as the flying pig rod I cast. You can call that an opinion if it makes you feel better, but if I were to score them it would be 1st, flying pig and a distant second excluding the other myriad of rods I like better than sage, second.

Quote:
your opinion holds no more value than mine, or any other member on this forum.
So if it's my opinion I can teach cats to do the backstroke, that's as valid as any other persons opinion here? How about if it's my opinion that Bigfoot is actually just an old Italian nudist?

Last edited by Guest1; 03-21-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
It's not an opinion. The Sage rods I have cast were clunky feeling and did not cast as well as the flying pig rod I cast. You can call that an opinion if it makes you feel better, but if I were to score them it would be 1st, flying pig and a distant second excluding the other myriad of rods I like better than sage, second.

So if it's my opinion I can teach cats to do the backstroke, that's as valid as any other persons opinion here? How about if it's my opinion that Bigfoot is actually just an old Italian nudist?
It's hard to argue when you start spouting drivel. I know, you're probably confused about the word drivel, so here's a definition for you: "childish, silly, or meaningless talk or thinking; nonsense; twaddle."

I really hope this helps you, even if just a little.

In any case, I prefer to send my $$ to an all American company (Gee, Sage comes to mind!). If you prefer sending your bucks to China (oh boy, now Flying Pig comes to mind), be my guest.

It is your money, so spend it as you choose, it's certainly no skin off my nose, and I'm sure the Chinese can use it more than we can.

Oh gosh I forgot, here's a little more help for you.

Definition of Opinion:

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Respects,

Richard
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Not sure that it upsets me to spend my money overseas..it didn't bother our companies to take the business there. Walmarts is just a Chinese box store anyways and we all shop there.

They (Korean and Chinese)have put good gear in the price range of the average fisherman,,,that has let a LOT of people get into fly fishing that would not have did it via Sage and Winston..or even Orivs prices. Unless one buys NOTHING from overseas, I don't see the point in bashing just fly rods.

If Sage,,intends to sell me a rod (I'm sure they wont go bust when they don't) they will have to improve their appearance. I can't speak about their performance,,never fished with one.

My 'top shelf' rods in price are a couple Orvis rods,,and honestly,,my TFO's, St Croix,and Redingtons are as good of rods,,,and they, like Orivs, have a certain 'class' about them. I do like Orivs,,they have a classic look that is easy on the eye. And, that's one thing I do not understand,,Redington rods are handsome fishing machines,, whereas the parent company Sages are not. That is to my eye personally.

Another thing,,a question actually,,Lately, I've seen the logo of Sage o n some tackle websites,,,with Sage, Redington AND TFO all on the same logo,,,,has Sage bought TFO,,or did Sage always own TFO,,,what's the skinny on that ?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 PM

jjp58 is on a distinguished road

While I find Dan's comments amusing, the replies show some folks need to do more fishing.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 PM

renomick is on a distinguished road

I thought when I discovered this forum, that it might be a cut above many others. In most cases, it is in fact not. This thread is testament to that fact. Like so many other internet boards, it comes right down to one self-proclaimed "expert" trying to yell the loudest over every other self-proclaimed "expert". If all else fails, at least get in the last word. I suppose I'll never be an internet expert. Despite 45 years of streamside experience and a job that allows me to work with sporting gear daily, I'll never devote the time to an internet forum to rack up thousands and thousands of posts.

This post is based entirely on opinion, and that is a FACT. Facts can be substantiated. Your claim that your pig rods are superior to Sage's offerings, cannot be proven, anymore than I can prove that Sage's rods are superior in every way. If you guys that love the pig rods are happy with them, what's the difference? You're not likely to convince many here to crawl into your corner. Spouting off over and over, that your opinion is superior to everyone who's opinion differs from your own, ultimately will only serve to hurt your credibility. One thing this thread did accomplish for me personally is to save me $250. I had strongly considered a piggy purchase (based only on perceived value of a nice looking rod). Upon discovering the rods do in fact come from China, the perceived value evaporated for me personally. If you guys enjoy your rods, that's all that really matters.
fysh, Meatco1, dean_mt and 3 others like this.

Last edited by renomick; 03-21-2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread