The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Im hard to fathom my 3 wt. txl or my 8 wt slt or even my z axis switch not to mention my sp 5 wt clunky. But hey thats just me.

I guess actions speak louder than words for this kid .
Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Where is spring?!?!??!?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit the ones I cast were at least 10 or 11 years ago and they could have improved. Those were not brand new rods either. They haven't gotten any better looking, but they could be less Klunky feeling.

I was just completely turned off by them. I didn't like the way they looked and still don't. But as I say, they could have improved. Even if they have I doubt I will ever get past my original feelings about them. As far as the original question goes, yup, they is butt ugly. They look like they were trying to do them as fast as they possibly could with what they got the best deal on at the time.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

and it's a wrap!!
fysh, Meatco1, dean_mt and 2 others like this.

ARFE
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
and it's a wrap!!

Yep, works for me, I'm done also!!

Respects,
Richard
dean_mt and troutnut4 like this.

Last edited by Meatco1; 03-22-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Not just yet, gentlemen, I have one last thing to say and I am directing it to all but, Dan, you in particular. You know I respect your opinions and I just know you are a terrific angler. Now, I have my prejudices too (in fishing tackle) especially for reels that are too wide and a particular rod company that screwed up its human resources and heritage, however, though looks surely count, performance comes first. There are really only a handful of great rod designers out there and Sage has the privilege of employing one of them. Jerry Siem does not go back to Sage's roots, many of those men who started with Fenwick are gone. Old Sage rods (RPL etc.) were plain brown like their Fenwick forebearers and unadorned. They were leading edge technology and design in their day if not particularly subtle. Today, Sage is still one of if not the most technologically advanced rod builders utilizing some intellectual resources from the local aerospace industry, but it is Jerry Siem that puts it all together in his brilliant design work. I don't really believe that there is one rod that can do it all or is right for all fly fishers but, and I cast them all, the top tier Sage rods are among the finest casting/fishing instruments in the entire industry. Do they sport the understated elegant perfection and obvious attention to hand crafted detail of a Russ Peak? Hardly, they are factory rods. But the brilliance of taper design in harmony with material innovation is the heart of the best Sage rods; XP, Z-Axis, TCX, ONE, which are among the finest performing fishing rods ever built.
fysh, swirlchaser, Meatco1 and 3 others like this.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Great debate, and now the all important post debate handshake. This is as plain as it gets, my TFO TiCr 6wt. Matte black, black wraps, plain cork grip. Something we can all agree on. Any rod, plain as vanilla, or stolen from the Liberace museum IS aesthetically pleasing with a fish attached to it!
It doesn't hurt that it's in the company of a Galvan Torque. Uh oh, I think I just sparked the next debate. What do you guys think of the Galvan? An engineering marvel? or a soulless piece of metal? Do you like a precision machined side plate? or you prefer a classic, solid plate shaped by hand with a stone my a one armed hermit deep in the woods of Scotland?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Suddenly, Winchester Throckmorton realized he was the only fisherman in the villiage that didn't carry a Sage ONE !

Click the image to open in full size.
gt05254 likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Please! Make it stop!
FrankB2 likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Another thing,,a question actually,,Lately, I've seen the logo of Sage o n some tackle websites,,,with Sage, Redington AND TFO all on the same logo,,,,has Sage bought TFO,,or did Sage always own TFO,,,what's the skinny on that ?
Im almost 95% positive that TFO is still owned by the original guys who started it here in Dallas. Very dedicated fishermen, and while their blanks are made overseas, it is because they are dedicated to putting high-performance rods in the hands of the Everyman. I only like a couple of their series (like most rod makers), but I love those that I like.