The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

I have a Sage One, a 99, 2 Flights and a Vantage. I don't see anything wrong with the way they look. I see a difference in the level of build and mat'ls in the One and 99 vs the Flights and the Vantage.

I guess to me they are tools, nothing more nothing less. The esthetics are only important as they impart a certain level of quality fit and function. Function is the important part.

As far as the cork Handles. I don't know, I think they are fine. I don't know what else could make them better. Most of mine are "dirty" for lack of better term from hours of use. I like the patina of wear and use on my things. I like a shotgun with worn bluing from hours of carrying in the feild, some scratches and dings here and there are fine. Shows that its been used, gives it character. Same with my reels, If I get a scratch on it or wear from use I don't care. Nothing that gets used will look like new forever.

Sounds like some of you want more "bling" on your rods. Fancy Wood, Knurled locks, who knows. If sage offered a "appearance Package" with all sorts of fancy embellishments for an extra $25 I'd skip it. To me it does nothing.Just like my shotguns, I'll buy a plane blued Field Grade over a Presentation, Silver or Gold Grade with engravings, gold inlays and all that other **** that is worth nothing when a Grouse busts cover right under your feet. I prefer them clean, simple and above all functional!!
wishiniwerfishin and alexs like this.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, for you function over form guys, look at Flying Pigs rods. They look better than Sage and I'll bet you the perform better out far than Sage. I tried my FP and it is actually spined right. As I said, Sage builds on straightest visual line. So everytime you flex the rod you impart a twist in the blank. This rotates the guides to the side. Having mass off the centerline of the blank will impart an eliptical wobble in the tracking of the rod.

If you have all else equal, line caster etc., you will be better off with the Flying Pig rod that costs less, by a lot, and it looks better too.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
sbreech

I wish I had a stream to fish where I a.) needed to cast anywhere near 100' and b.) had the space to do so. Outside of my back yard, for me, it just isn't necessary until I go fishing the flats, which, again, for me, isn't going to happen due to near zero interest.

Having said that, I'm not a Sage "fan," but I do enjoy their fly rods - particularly the TXL for UL fly fishing very tight locations. The coloration is subdued leading to a somewhat stealthy appearance, the rods are pretty dang light, and are laser accurate in their intended uses. Sage can keep their Asian made reels, too.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

As for as looks Sage just has that 'turn'em out quick as we can get'em out look' ...almost in a kind of mil-spec way. Gun guys will know what I mean.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
The coloration is subdued leading to a somewhat stealthy appearance,
Some of them might be, but Santa's little helpers got their mits on some of the designs. The only place this rod is going to be stealthy is shoved into a very decorated Christmas tree.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM

psychologicalperch is on a distinguished road

Fly fishing is a visually appealing sport without a question. I can spend countless hours on a riverbank watching someone fly cast due to the artistic tone. Spin fishing is quite mundane to watch, therefore as fly fishermen we should care what our gear looks like. I own a Sage One and a Hardy Zentih and the zg Helios. I personally choose the helios and the zenith over the One anyday because they look better (p.s. they perform much better as well). But if Sage starts producing excellent quality rods with the looks to match Im sure to use that rod more.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Some of them might be, but Santa's little helpers got their mits on some of the designs. The only place this rod is going to be stealthy is shoved into a very decorated Christmas tree.
Click the image to open in full size.
That example Sage is definitly a good example of aesthetics I wouldn't pick - but their green/olive/earthtones are pretty dang awesome for my applications. But then again, for 8 years I had to always wear those colors, and to this day, most of my wardrobe is about the same. Wife hates it.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, Dan, Dan...... You must not have heard about Sage's new technogically. It no longer matters if the rod is built straight, as the fibers are aligned along the rod's length. I had a St.Croix rod that behaved a little funny when casting beyond 40 feet. It was sort of like a curve ball being thrown. I took it to a rod maker, and after a couple of wiggles, he said it was built too straight. There were a couple of seasoned casters there, and when Jack pointed out the section that wasn't aligned properly, there was no missing it! Jack went on to say that a lot of the major companies use home wrappers, and they often wrap them so the rod is straight. Having said that, how many people would drop $800 on a rod that looks crooked?

I had a Sage Ds2 back in 1999....roughly. The reel seat was a bit bulky, and loosened too often,but the rod was fine. When I saw a Z-Axis for the first time, I thought it was a very elegant rod, and the reel seat was fantastic. The hardware used on the Z-Axis and ZXL is quality gear, but Winstons do look nice. Sage has a $1,300 version of the ONE, and it has all the bling anyone could ask for.
rockriver likes this.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I love those Sage Bass II rods, I actually just bought one I also have a Bass I and its even worse looking then that but damn it cool!! I think some rods look alittle underfinished yes, but most are pretty cool.

HOWEVER...the Circa. I love how that rod casts and feels, but good lord, they couldnt have picked a worse color reel seat for those things. With as much pretty wood sources there are and all the other fancy finishes available, why pick a grainless no character baby poo green/tan piece of "wood" for a seat on a $800 rod....

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
OK, for you function over form guys, look at Flying Pigs rods. They look better than Sage and I'll bet you the perform better out far than Sage. I tried my FP and it is actually spined right. As I said, Sage builds on straightest visual line. So everytime you flex the rod you impart a twist in the blank. This rotates the guides to the side. Having mass off the centerline of the blank will impart an eliptical wobble in the tracking of the rod.

If you have all else equal, line caster etc., you will be better off with the Flying Pig rod that costs less, by a lot, and it looks better too.
I checked out their website.

Performance Fly Rods - Fly Fishing Gifts | Flying Pig Fly Rods

They only have 1 rod (9ft 4 pc) available in 4 different line weights (4, 5, 7 and 8). 2 of those are back ordered (4 & 5). Very Very limited in selection. More to come at some point. Doesn't help me now. Fast action, if that's what you like. But on the bright side they have snazzy T-shirts and Hats available for those of you who are more particular about appearances.

As far as looks, the one in the middle other than the piggy decal looks alot like a Sage One. The other 2 pictured have a wood reel seat area. I would prefer a simple metal one, more durable.

I like to keep my local fly shop in business, That's why I have have 6 sages. If he sold a flying pig I still don't think I would have one as they don't sell any comparable rods to the sages I have. They are about the same price I paid for my Sage Vantage. Looks like the only place to get them is order from the factory website. I see no mention of dealers on the website.
Closed Thread