The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the thread wraps on Sage rods, the thread wrap themselves are OK, not great, but OK, however, the epoxy work over the thread wraps is where I had issues with Sage. It was as if they didn't even try and put similar amounts of epoxy on each guide wrap and were in my opinion, the sloppiest in the industry. Older Sage rods were not like this, I had some XP's and SLT's that were great looking rods, however, about the time they came out with the Z-Axis, I seen a huge decline in attention to detail on their rods.

They are charging almost as much as Thomas & Thomas, yet the build quality isn't even close to that of Thomas & Thomas.

On a sub $400 rod, I wouldn't care, but a $700+ rod, I expect better...

That disappointed me, but the real reason for not using Sage these days is, I just don't care for their tapers as much as other brands. Not saying they are bad, just not my cup of tea...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I don't get it. The Sage One is too drab looking without being flashy enough. I actually think my 3 Z-Axis rods are beautiful; but, I wear a camo shirt and bushhat when I fish. I think they are probably too bright. Why would I really want a flashy rod that looks like a flashing neon bar sign?
kwb likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I agree with you there, I much prefer a drab looking rod.

My favorite looking rods all have non-painted blanks, black reel seat hardware and black guides...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Yeah, he meant that the rod wasn't splined properly, and guides wrapped along the straightest visual line. This was a 4 piece rod, and the 2nd section from the top,went in another direction than the adjacent sections. Drove me crazy enough to sell it once I saw it!
We all grabbed rods off the rack to try to reproduce that weird oscillation, but couldn't.
That's interesting. I was wondering if the second section was was off by 90? Where were the rest of the spines (my word for splines ) lined up, or were they off badly as well?

I have tried an experiment (95% Bill's idea) and after some rough fooling around with it found some very interesting results. Later this summer when I can film it, I am going to do some more in actual casting conditions, but so far I have to say, building on straightest visual line causes weird oscillations that most would find hard to believe. It makes me wish I could get my hands on that rod for a few hours, but I'm sure it's long gone.

By the way, in our preliminary tests we also used a tip from a spey rod blank that is a second and not built on. The flaw in it is that they apllied the clear tape when they rolled the blank to tight and it 'kicked' the tip. Without guides and just turned to straightest visual line it oscillated. Not only did it oscillate, but it did in an increasingly rotational manner till the oscillations actually reversed direction. At some point I think I will do a thread in the rod building section it. Maybe the fly cast section would be as good, because as I said, in getting a really long cast, you need good tracking. How can you track right if the rod does a hula dance on it's own?

If I were in charge at Sage, I'd make them stop making such butt ugly rods, but more importantly I'd stop that straightest visual line stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Why would I really want a flashy rod that looks like a flashing neon bar sign?
How about a bright gold and red Bass rod? Maybe that "Hey! It's Cristmas all year long" special I posted the picture of?

Last edited by Guest1; 03-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
It's not just Sage. I think, in general, if you are going to ask $800+ for a fishing rod, it should not only perform unbelievably well but also be the last word in aesthetic refinement and elegance. Very few of today's offerings meet that standard IMHO. Instead they settle for the angling equivalent of putting a molded plastic dashboard on a Rolls Royce.

Here's the kind of thing I mean. These shots happen to be cane rods but this sort of careful detail ought to go into a high-priced graphite stick too:

Presentation_series
Today's cane rods are certainly beautiful works of art. The amount of time taken in material selection and assembly commands the price of these rods. IMO, these beauties are for a select few, willing to drop a lot of coin to have a hand made , one of a kind item. Those anglers probably derive as much if not more pleasure from looking at their prize possessions as they do fishing them. For the average (not the Purist) angler, myself included, we want to feel that we are getting the best for our buck, whatever that is. Today, rod builders can match the cane "feel" with graphite at a third of the price. Maybe they don't look as great when you lean them up against your new Jag or BMW at your local country club. My only issue with the high end rods of today is the price. I would much prefer to be one or two years behind in my purchases and get these great rods on closeout pricing. There will always be a guy that wants a custom made suit in an off the rack world and willing to pay whatever the cost. and willing to take his money.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I would much prefer to be one or two years behind in my purchases and get these great rods on closeout pricing. There will always be a guy that wants a custom made suit in an off the rack world .
You should learn to build rods and then you can do both. I got a BIIX Winston blank on closeout prices and made myself a rod that is mucho purty to look at.

Actually, Sage sells blanks. They have some on closeout at Madison River. If you like the rods except for the butt ugly looks you could do exactly that and cure all of the problems wrong with a factory Sage.
FrankB2 likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Boy, I can't read most of the comments about minor cosmetics here that are very subjective and not laugh.

Reminds me of my wife, we had a bowl of apples on the table, she picks up an apple, rolls it around in her hand while studying it, Puts it back and proceeds to do the same thing to a couple more apples. Final she ends up finding one that is acceptable to her. And she eats that one. Me, I'm curious about this as I picked the apples out at the store and wanted to know what was wrong with them. I thought they all looked good. No Blemishes, bruises, cuts or any defects I could find.
"Well" she expains, "some had too much green on them, not enough red and some weren't shaped right and one just didn't feel right."
These standards of a good apple vs a bad apple never occurred to me. Must be me.
I was going to continue to find out how much green is acceptable and what the right shape might be and what the right feel might be so next time I buy apples I can do a better job. But I know my wife better, I mean I love her dearly but she can be very fickle at times. What goes one day won't go the next. So I didn't bother.

But I did ask her "do you think they would taste different?"

She thought about it for a minute and said " I suppose not".

Then of course I had to ask "then why bother sorting thru them?"

"I wanted the best one." she said as if it was a well know matter of fact.

I was going to ask if they all taste the same then what does it matter. But again I know my wife and left it at that.

All of you apple polishers make me think of my wife's strange irrelevant visual preferences of things that don't make any matter in the end.

Again, to me a fly rod is a tool. Nothing more or less. I like good quality tools myself, I have all all kinds of mechanic and machinist tools in various tool boxes out in my work shop as I have several machine tools and I work on older cars at times. I really appreciate a well built functional tool. The biggest satisfaction I get out of a tool is when it performs its intended task well. I don't spend time polishing my wrenches cause I don't care what they look like. Its irrelevant to their purpose.
I know I have a way to go before I'm satisfied with my casting skills. I have been at this for a little over 2 years. But I go fishing alot (over 120 days/year easily). I enjoy catching fish. Its the main reason I go fishing to be honest. But I get the next biggest satisfaction out of making better and better casts. Casting between hanging branches and dropping my rig right where I wanted and doing a perfect drift thru a run even if I don't get a strike is one of things I remember weeks after I did it. Making difficult or accurate casts give me lots of satisfaction. My fly rod is just a tool that helps me do these things and that's how I get enjoyment from my rod.

If some of you get enjoyment out of looking at your rods and admiring the polished wood, engraved metal, epoxied wraps and what not, what the h**l, I couldn't care less for those things, its not me but to each his own.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You should learn to build rods and then you can do both. I got a BIIX Winston blank on closeout prices and made myself a rod that is mucho purty to look at.

Actually, Sage sells blanks. They have some on closeout at Madison River. If you like the rods except for the butt ugly looks you could do exactly that and cure all of the problems wrong with a factory Sage.
Dan, how about some pictures.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

Here's the part of the rod right in front of the grip.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hey, for those "It's only a tool, don't care how ugly" guys, how far does that cavalier attitude extend? The cars you buy? Those are just a tool to get you from point A to point B. How about your home? That's just a tool to hold your stuff and keep you and it out of the weather. How about your clothes? That's just to keep you from being arrested and put on a watch list. How about your haircut? That's just to keep it out of rotating machinery like your bike chain.
Jackster, FrankB2, markg52 and 3 others like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
Boy, I can't read most of the comments about minor cosmetics here that are very subjective and not laugh.

Reminds me of my wife, we had a bowl of apples on the table, she picks up an apple, rolls it around in her hand while studying it, Puts it back and proceeds to do the same thing to a couple more apples. Final she ends up finding one that is acceptable to her. And she eats that one. Me, I'm curious about this as I picked the apples out at the store and wanted to know what was wrong with them. I thought they all looked good. No Blemishes, bruises, cuts or any defects I could find.
"Well" she expains, "some had too much green on them, not enough red and some weren't shaped right and one just didn't feel right."
These standards of a good apple vs a bad apple never occurred to me. Must be me.
I was going to continue to find out how much green is acceptable and what the right shape might be and what the right feel might be so next time I buy apples I can do a better job. But I know my wife better, I mean I love her dearly but she can be very fickle at times. What goes one day won't go the next. So I didn't bother.

But I did ask her "do you think they would taste different?"

She thought about it for a minute and said " I suppose not".

Then of course I had to ask "then why bother sorting thru them?"

"I wanted the best one." she said as if it was a well know matter of fact.

I was going to ask if they all taste the same then what does it matter. But again I know my wife and left it at that.

All of you apple polishers make me think of my wife's strange irrelevant visual preferences of things that don't make any matter in the end.

Again, to me a fly rod is a tool. Nothing more or less. I like good quality tools myself, I have all all kinds of mechanic and machinist tools in various tool boxes out in my work shop as I have several machine tools and I work on older cars at times. I really appreciate a well built functional tool. The biggest satisfaction I get out of a tool is when it performs its intended task well. I don't spend time polishing my wrenches cause I don't care what they look like. Its irrelevant to their purpose.
I know I have a way to go before I'm satisfied with my casting skills. I have been at this for a little over 2 years. But I go fishing alot (over 120 days/year easily). I enjoy catching fish. Its the main reason I go fishing to be honest. But I get the next biggest satisfaction out of making better and better casts. Casting between hanging branches and dropping my rig right where I wanted and doing a perfect drift thru a run even if I don't get a strike is one of things I remember weeks after I did it. Making difficult or accurate casts give me lots of satisfaction. My fly rod is just a tool that helps me do these things and that's how I get enjoyment from my rod.

If some of you get enjoyment out of looking at your rods and admiring the polished wood, engraved metal, epoxied wraps and what not, what the h**l, I couldn't care less for those things, its not me but to each his own.
I agree regarding most of what you say, but just a lil extra weight at the tip of a rod can make a big difference in the way that rod does its job.

So being sloppy with the epoxy over the thread wraps would be more than just a cosmetic flaw.
Closed Thread