The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Klunker, you missed my point. I didn't mean do you wash and polish it all the time. I meant do you go out and pay a ton of money for the ugliest car you can just because it's a tool and nothing more. Washing and waxing your ugly car has nothing to do with it. Did you ask the dealer for a specific color? Did you ask yourself at all, is there a better looking model I can find?

Not the same thing as washing it or an ugly rod.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Klunker, you missed my point. I didn't mean do you wash and polish it all the time. I meant do you go out and pay a ton of money for the ugliest car you can just because it's a tool and nothing more. Washing and waxing your ugly car has nothing to do with it. Did you ask the dealer for a specific color? Did you ask yourself at all, is there a better looking model I can find?

Speaking of cars, Dan I was wondering if there are matt finishes as an option for fly rods. I was thinking a black, brown or green blank might look neat if there was a durable matt varnish or urethane. Paired with nice brushed nickle and exotic hardwood hardware might be a neat look.
How were the bamboo rods of old treated? Did they use a type of varnish or perhaps an oil to allow the boo to breath?

I really do prefer the muted darker colors for rod blanks. I want my rod to blend into the surroundings, not shine like a diamond encrusted microphone you might see at a rap concert. Kinda like the Lamborghini that Batman drove, all matt black.
My favorite rod, the old Sage RPL is one of the most plain rods I've seen. The brown is good but the shade is dated. Their new brown is nice.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
My argument here isn't "tool" or "jewelry", it's value.

I'm not too hung up on appearance but I do want to see VALUE. If I pay $800 for a rod I expect it to perform AND top notch components. I guess I'm a bit jaded because as a rod builder I know what these components cost. If I can buy that blank for $500 I expect to see $300 worth of components and workmanship or it's a bad purchase to me. So here's how I would look at this:

Sage One 9' 5wt MSRP $775

Sage One 9' 5wt blank $363

Does a factory Sage One have $412 worth of components and workmanship? I can tell you that if I get the overwhelming itch for a Sage One I will build it.
My vote for post of the day.

I'll bet you could allow yourself $25/hr, put better stuff on it, make it look better, be spined right and still come out ahead. Plus have a better built, better looking rod.

Klunker, after reading the rest of your post, have you considered having a photo taken with your car in the front yard in your holey clothes and self done hair and send it to Bill Engval for Red Neck Yard of the Week?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Speaking of cars, Dan I was wondering if there are matt finishes as an option for fly rods. I was thinking a black, brown or green blank might look neat if there was a durable matt varnish or urethane. Paired with nice brushed nickle and exotic hardwood hardware might be a neat look.
How were the bamboo rods of old treated? Did they use a type of varnish or perhaps an oil to allow the boo to breath?

I really do prefer the muted darker colors for rod blanks. I want my rod to blend into the surroundings, not shine like a diamond encrusted microphone you might see at a rap concert. Kinda like the Lamborghini that Batman drove, all matt black.
My favorite rod, the old Sage RPL is one of the most plain rods I've seen. The brown is good but the shade is dated. Their new brown is nice.
There are matte finishes on some blanks. I doubt that you can get the makers to one off one for you though. You never know, T&T rolled a 17' 11 wt. for me and they have not made them for quite a while.

As far as that blending in, if they can see your rod, that's the least of your worries, so unless you fish in a ghillie suit, I think you may be overthinking the rod finish a tad.

Bamboo they use a rod varnish on. I have a bit left over from the last bamboo I refurbished, and that's the only place I would use it. I do like the hardwood idea. I use it a lot. My 10 wt. Winston.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

2nd that post of the day nomination! As always value and quality should be the priority with a touch of common sense in regards to economics.
Jackster and Guest1 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If I pay the price for a BMW, they had best NOT bring a Ford Focus 'round front for me.

Utility wise they will both get you 'there'......however,,,,,for a certain price you pay to get there a certain WAY.

The world has always been thus, this thread will not change peoples perception vrs understanding of quality AND value.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

As far as that blending in, if they can see your rod, that's the least of your worries, so unless you fish in a ghillie suit, I think you may be overthinking the rod finish a tad.

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks Dan for the info.

I meant, I just preferred a less bright and showy rod myself. And by the way, doesn't everyone fish in a ghillie suit? No? I'm the only one? Whale oil beef.......
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Maybe I did miss your point. Let me clarify.

Last car I bought was used, Didn't buy new because I didn't like the deal the dealer was offering. So I found a used one with 1500 miles on it less than 1 year old with the options I had to have (manual transmission). Bought off the internet site unseen, Saved 1/3 the price of new, warrantee goes with the car so I had no worries. The particular mfg has a excellent warrantee, 50K miles or 4 years includes ALL maintenance and wear except tires. I didn't care about the color. I was concerned about options, getting a car as close to what I wanted as possible that was the first concern for me. Looks of a car is very subjective. Your right about one thing, their are a lot of ugly cars out there. But I would suffer a ugly car if it was setup (options) the way I like my cars. Again, I am putting its functions ahead of its appearances.

When we were at the dealer looking for this car, and this is a car I alone drive, as my wife knows how but doesn't like driving a stick, I let her pick the color. It really didn't matter to me what color it was. To be honest about it this mfg doesn't paint their cars bright look at me colors anyways, all very conservative colors, lots of different silvers/greys, black, white, a dark blue, No reds or yellows or anything flashy that a teenager would like so I wasn't in danger of her picking Fire Glow Pink or any such color. Besides my wife has impeccable taste (she married me after all ) and a very good eye for colors.

Seems to me its hard for you to accept that I really don't care alot about appearances. I'll have to post a picture of my favorite old car I have. My wife has asked if I'm going to paint it, or fix this or change that as its so ugly and the interior has a bit of a smell in it she won't drive in it. But I tell her no, I love it cause its UGLY and its what I like in old cars. Tomorrow, I will post a picture of one UGLY car that I drive just to prove to you what I am capable of!!

Dan, Give in, just accept the fact. No harm, no foul.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 PM

renomick is on a distinguished road

Wow, Sage had better watch themselves, all this negative talk on this forum may knock them right off their high horse,lol. Personally, I've only had my ESN a short time, and after but one day on the river, saw no unusual wobbling of any sort, as a matter of fact, it tracked clean and smooth and recovered nicely. Is it pretty? Oh heck, it's a fly rod. If I want attention, and feel like fishing a work of art, I'll pull out my Gladstone and fish with my nose high in the air. Or, If I'm feeling a little nostalgic, maybe it will be my Ugly Stick. It's black and shiny, and has yellow pinstripes. To each their own.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
Dan, Give in, just accept the fact. No harm, no foul.
Now I'm scared to ask about your wife. Lord forgive me, I couldn't pass up such an easy joke, and it is just a joke. No need to get the bat out. .... I mean baseball bat. Baseball bat, dang this just keeps getting worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renomick View Post
WowI've only had my ESN a short time, and after but one day on the river, saw no unusual wobbling of any sort, as a matter of fact, it tracked clean and smooth and recovered nicely..
How far were you casting? Do me a favor and tell me where the spine is on the rod. I'd appreciate it.

By the way, have any of you noticed that even the ones defending Sage, most admit they are ugly? That's what this thread was really about wasn't it? Sage and their butt ugly rods?
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

When did things get so snippy around here?
fysh and siskiyoublues like this.