The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 AM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

I like the looks of the Sage rods (I must, I have 8 of them). But rather than argue which brand has the snappiest looks, there is a much simpler solution, Dan, you buy your flying pigs, and I'll buy my Sage's.

Lord knows, there is no shortage of fly rods out there, and we each choose the rod that pleases us the most.

That being said, I would be willing to bet Sage sells more quality rods in a year than flying pig does in 5!!

Respects,
Richard
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
When did things get so snippy around here?
It's pretty funny fysh likes that, he's been pretty snippy himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
bet Sage sells more quality rods in a year than flying pig does in 5!!
For now.

And this was not about them. It's about the general concensus Sage makes ugly rods. I also mentioned Winston. Wanna pick on them too? It wasn't about them either, but you can if you want.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Getting ugly! Ugly rods ugly comments.Seems right. People read to much into some posts but such is life. Maybe we should talk about Loomis to break it up a little.Nah!
Going fishing the heck with it!
FrankB2 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-19-2013, 04:26 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
I like the looks of the Sage rods (I must, I have 8 of them). But rather than argue which brand has the snappiest looks, there is a much simpler solution, Dan, you buy your flying pigs, and I'll buy my Sage's.

Lord knows, there is no shortage of fly rods out there, and we each choose the rod that pleases us the most.

That being said, I would be willing to bet Sage sells more quality rods in a year than flying pig does in 5!!

Respects,
Richard
I love my flying pig rod. AMAZING rod for the price, and the only reason they are not selling like Sage is one they have only been around maybe a few years, and the whole operation is all family run. I have talked to the three owners and they are great guys, I have told them countless times they have a lifetime customers as long as they keep up the great work and awesome customer service.

I see Flying Pig being a big name in fly fishing soon, especially once they have more rods out, but first I think they have to catch up with all the orders they have on the Liquid series.

I will have a Sage One coming soon though since I signed up for Trout Unlimited. I am planning on giving it to my Step Brother as a gift, I may play with it once I get it of course, but my Flying Pig does everything I need it to and looks sexy, though I wish they would have went with a bit darker wood.

For the Sage rods, I have not really seen to many up close, I dont look at rods to often when I have one or two working just fine. Every now and then I will check them out, but from what I can see I have not seen anything "wrong" with them, they just do not appeal to me like other brands do. I love my Hardy Zenith, though it has been sitting lately since I have been playing with the FP rod. I don't think it is hard to make a great looking rod, but some companies are putting their technology and "knowledge" before looks it seems. Or maybe peoples tastes have gone a different direction. I dont know, but I still prefer classic looks over new sometimes.
Guest1 likes this.

Last edited by stuie675; 03-19-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Classic good looks

Give me an old Orvis, unsanded/unpainted blank, maroon wraps, wood spacer and I am perfectly happy. In my old age, I even like the way they cast more and more. Still have 4 of them.

Regarding Sage...I have a couple RPL+'s; they are pretty nice looking casting tools.

I really like Loomis NativeRun GLX's, but I find that skeleton fish logo embarrasing, at best. On the several Loomis two-handers I own, I DO like the fly logo in the reelseat deal.

Whew, glad I got those pent-up opinions off my chest. I feel better now.
Gary
Guest1 and kwb like this.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think my Sage rods are as close to perfection as needed. I have seen some issue with cork that could have been better, but not ALL cork is bad on Sage rods. The aesthetics of the Z-Axis and ZXL with good cork are fine by me. The wraps on both models do not stand out in any decorative form, but do have nice (hard to see from across the stream) accent wraps. The Struble hardware is also fine by me.

I've had burl maple spacer on other rods, and I don't like the lighter finish as much as dark rosewood. I also think that Winston's green composite spacer looks awful on a freshwater rod. Having said that, Winstons look fine.

Some posters (Dan ), like to express themselves with custom rods built with a bit of tasteful flash. Rods such as these can be a work of art, but people have different tastes in art, and a major manufacturer would not sell many rods that way. It's like Abel's reels with 80 different artistic finishes. I can't stand most of them, but there are a few that I like. The local shops carry a couple such reels in the more appealing designs, and they sometimes sell one. When I bought two Z-Axis blanks, I ran over to the rod building forum to find ideas for thread wraps. After looking at many custom wrapped rods, I decided that the Sage did well with the thread color they chose; it blends in well with the blank. I don't like to see thread wraps along a lengthy rod, and even my bamboo rod has honey color wraps that blend in well with the bamboo. When I see contrasting thread wraps, it reminds me of cheap rods sold at Walmart. There are exceptions, but there ya' go. Sages are not ornamental, and that offends the least number of people. If you want a rod that expresses your aesthetic sensibilties, build them yourself...like Dan. You could also have one built to your specifications by any number of rod builders.

Sage rods cast just fine, as long as you're using the rod that suits your purpose. I would not take a Sage TCX to the local brook stream, nor would I bring a Circa to a distance casting competion.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I am sure what Dan is saying is true to an extent, but the Sage rods I owned and liked in the past, were great fishing tools.

I haven't been a huge fan of many of their new tapers as of late, but that doesn't mean anything about their quality, each person has their own taste in a fly rod.

The Sage SLT 9' 7WT Two Piece Fly Rod I owned was my favorite fly rod of all time, to this day I kick myself in the arse for letting it go to buy the "latest and greatest" rod which turned out to be not so great.

Like I already stated, my only gripe with them was regarding several rods I ordered online that arrived in sub par build quality in my opinion. They were no where near as nicely built as previous Sage rods I had owned and I returned them for a refund due to that. I have since then seen many many Sage rods that looked great on rod racks in fly shops, also seen some that looked not so great.

The one time I had to use Sage customer service for a broken rod, their service was as good or better than any other company I have ever dealt with. I actually broke my Sage XP in about 9 different pieces when a tree fell on me damn near drowning me in the river, was windy day and for a moment, I was pinned under the water by the tree, talk about a crazy day... Sage repaired the rod at no charge, well I say repaired, but every section was broke so they built me a new rod. That's great service.

Obviously by their popularity, Sage doesn't make junk, I wanted to make this clear as it is not my goal to sit here and complain about a company and downgrade them to the masses. I am a perfectionist and a very detail oriented person, things that bother me, others could care less about and that's fine. I don't sit in parking lots next to my 21 year old Jeep and admire my rods, but I do spend 200+ days a year on the water so I like my gear to be built to pretty exact details.

As far as being butt ugly, I think the Sage ONE rods look really good, but I don't like a flashy fancy rod...

Anyway, that's my two cents, I sure hope Winter breaks soon, think people will be a lot happier once it does...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
By the way, have any of you noticed that even the ones defending Sage, most admit they are ugly? That's what this thread was really about wasn't it? Sage and their butt ugly rods?
True story, except those Bass II rods. Mine was in my grubby little hands last night, its so awful its fantastic!!! I have never owned a rod that will cast all the fly line out as easily as this rod does. Just for you Dan, im going to take a photo of all my sage rods lined up tonight.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
im going to take a photo of all my sage rods lined up tonight.
I atually already had this one handy, from the Rod Love thread... dont have the 99 anymore (loved it but just didn't "need" it), and the SP was custom, with somewhat cheap components but I got a heck of a deal on it and its a great stick

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Some posters (Dan ), like to express themselves with custom rods built with a bit of tasteful flash. Rods such as these can be a work of art, but people have different tastes in art, and a major manufacturer would not sell many rods that way. It's like Abel's reels with 80 different artistic finishes. I can't stand most of them, but there are a few that I like.
Absolutely true. In fact I took that 10 wt. Winston with me when I went to Montana and dropped by the Winston factory with it. The people workeing there were admiring it and one of the women there made the comment how beautiful it was and asked, "Why can't we make them look like this?" The head guy said "Because we need to sell to a lot of people with a lot of different tastes." He's absolutely correct. That's the whole point of custom rods. I don't even make two rods that look the same for myself.

I left the Abel comment in there just because that's a great illustration as well. They have a few that are fantastic and a few that look like the bad part of birthday wrapping paper. And I bet they sell them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
True story, except those Bass II rods. Mine was in my grubby little hands last night, its so awful its fantastic!!! I have never owned a rod that will cast all the fly line out as easily as this rod does. Just for you Dan, im going to take a photo of all my sage rods lined up tonight.
That made me chuckle. First thing I thought of was Sturgeon. I have had a lot of people tell me how ugly they are. I say, most of the time, they are so ugly they are cool looking. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some peoples taste is in their butts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I actually broke my Sage XP in about 9 different pieces when a tree fell on me damn near drowning me in the river, was windy day and for a moment, I was pinned under the water by the tree, talk about a crazy day... Sage repaired the rod at no charge, well I say repaired, but every section was broke so they built me a new rod. That's great service.

Good post, but dang! Hit by a tree? That's what I call a bad day. What did they say when you told them the story? I assume you did, because I sure would have.
FrankB2 likes this.
Closed Thread