The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree209Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

What color of Abel nippers is best? I was looking at blue but afraid the fish will see them.
Guest1, gt05254 and alexs like this.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

It's amazing how ridiculous the turns some of these threads take.
comeonavs and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can't wait to be holding any damn rod as long as I'm knee deep in a mountain stream with a size 18 parachute Adams as well as a 14" wild brown on the end of my line.

For the super technical parts of these conversations, reminds me of when I ran a golf shop and thought. Lie angle, launch angle, spin ratios, ball compression, shaft deflection , shaft truing, club head speed, ball speed, club speed vs effective torque...... Hell I played worse then. My motto now is hit Mother Earth and go hit it again and have fun

So go hit the water , catch a fish and do it again
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
It's amazing how ridiculous the turns some of these threads take.
How so? Because someone asked an opinion based question, to me this type of thread is like asking "what is the best?" There is no such thing as the best, everyone has their opinion on everything. Some people here love Sage, some people don't mind them, and some people do not like them. ALL opinions.

The OP asked what everyone thinks of Sage. Most have given their opinions, why not add some joking to it now?

In the end it is a damn fly rod, if it works for you AWESOME! if it doesn't well that sucks and I would look for the one that does.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

this whole thread was based on a simple question.
it was a simple question about the "appearance(cosmetics) of sage fly rods.
i stayed away from posting on this because it went so off the op's topic so fast that it wasn't even funny
we all have our favorite brands and that's fine, but this thread was getting a little "long winded"
not like the abel nippers thread(that was funny), but rather useless and boring.
so i would say, if you like sage rods and the way they look(i do), buy them.
if not buy whatever rod you want, go fishing and enjoy it......
fashion police aren't allowed on the river

casey
troutnut4 likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
Really Dan?

Pick on them?? Please, show me where I "Pick on them"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatco1 View Post
That being said, I would be willing to bet Sage sells more quality rods in a year than flying pig does in 5!!
Getting a bit touchy are we?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Forgive me for dragging out an already beat to pieces subject, but I just can't help myself. . Fairly new to this forum and see that its like every other forum. When it comes to various topics we get off the subject faster than a Brown slurping in a Caddis.

Back to the initial question remember what it was? In present day Sage rods the cosmetics are not what I would expect from a high end rod. There is no way the finish should cloud when it gets wet, or crack, reference my brother-in-laws Z-Axis. Also to you big rod maunfactures.... football shaped finishes are not considered top form. And for what's its worth neither are wavy finish lines. Plus with stablized woods being as durable as they are there is no reason not to include wood inserts, beside them being a tad more expensive.

Big manufactures focus on one thing and that is getting the product out the door. As long as people keep buying said product, the way it is, they will keep making it the way they do.

Do I own Sage rods? One that I won 20 years ago. But, I am building a Sage "One" switch and for the life of me I can't find a spine in any section and the blank is ramrod straight. Would I buy a prebuilt Sage "One"? No, too boring and I can do a better job. Why? I am not a production shop, I am a custom one off rod builder. I can afford to turn down custom builds if I don't like the way a customer wants a custom build done. Sage can't, so they put out what they think the majority of their target population wants or better yet will tolerate.

Even after buying the Sage "One" blank and adding top quality components and my labor it will come out cheaper than buying a run of the mill Sage "One" off the shelf.

Sorry for the rant. I can't even blame winter, it was 80 degrees at my place today

Pete

Holy Cow, didn't realize I had that many words in me
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Getting a bit touchy are we?
He also have obviously never used a Flying Pig rod, and to compare a new company to a company that has been around for ages is not fair.

Now go buy a Sage and a Flying Pig and compare the quality of rods, I bet you the Flying Pig will impress more people than the Sage, hell just the rod sleeve alone gets me comments lol
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That brewhaha was kind of my fault for bringing up flying pig rods in the first place. I just wanted to point it they are like Sage, a performance type rod. They look better and cost a heck of a lot less.

Truthfully, not all Sage rods are butt ugly. They have a few single baggers. Even those look they were built in a hurry though. Hey, the ugly need love also.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Dan, do you know when Flying Pig is gonna have their Steel series of rods will be available ? I'm kinda interested in the 10' , 8wt'er for New River fishing.

They are handsome rods to be sure.

Michael