The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough
Default Im stuck between....

.. The Sage One and the Scott S4 in a 6wt. I get incredible deals on both and have casted both, Just not sure which direction to go in. Primary use for this rod is chuckin large (#2-#8) streamers on the upper colorado, lower blue, targeting 24"+ trout from a boat? Has anyone owned these before, maybe fished them both and has a great opinion? Another option is the TCX? Feedback would be great!! Tight Lines.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im stuck between....

Just saw this post up in another thread:

" Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics
I'm certainly no expert so I'll try to quote someone who is. My local fly shop owner who is a guide and instructor fishes with a Scott S4 905-4. He likes it a lot and is a big Scott fan and advocate. He casted the Sage One that a rep gave him to sample. He claims it is incredibly accurate. Like a laser. I have no experience with it but I've heard that from others so there must be something to it.

Regards,
Peter "
Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

im gonna say right up front that im a big scott fan. i wont say that the scott is a better rod i owned and fished one sold it which i wish i wouldnt have.the sage i have only lawn cast. i like a slower rod for streamers and big nymphs so that i can slow my stroke down and open up my loops with the heavier weight. the one is more of a crisp action absolute lazer that can form tight loops something i would prefer in a dry fly rod maybe in a four or five weight. but thats just me.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocaddis970 View Post
.. The Sage One and the Scott S4 in a 6wt. I get incredible deals on both and have casted both, Just not sure which direction to go in. Primary use for this rod is chuckin large (#2-#8) streamers on the upper colorado, lower blue, targeting 24"+ trout from a boat? Has anyone owned these before, maybe fished them both and has a great opinion? Another option is the TCX? Feedback would be great!! Tight Lines.
All the rods are fine choices. It will come down to what feels best for you.

Here's how I like to parking lot test a dedicated streamer rod.
  1. String up the rod with the line weight that you intend to use. In this case, if you plan on using a standard WF6 line, use that. If you plan on using heavy integrated shooting head, upline to a similar grain weight.
  2. String up a leader that you would use for streamer fishing.
  3. Attach a super puffy indicator or a large puff ball of yarn to the end of the leader. This will create a lot of wind resistance like a big ugly streamer.
  4. Cast away.

Dennis
mcnerney and jpbfly like this.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:21 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Tough spot to be in, trying to decide between two high end rods. I havent had the pleasure of casting either one, however there is a gentleman that I run into while fishing a certain water who fishes with the new Sage One and he absolutley loves the thing. Ive seen him cast into places I would never attempt, granted he a seasoned veteran and im swinging a 4wt like a monkey. It feels good in hand, like i said never cast it, and well balanced. If i was in your spot......wow, ill never be in that spot,,,LMAO, But i vote for the One, since its the rod i most want to own, or at least try it. Course, the Scott is one heck of a rod also....UFFDA, you are stuck man!

Buy 'em both and sell the one you like less?

Last edited by Mnflyfish; 03-17-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. I am prejudiced against Sage so I would say the Scott. Plus if you are planning on fishing it most places where you are I would still say Scott.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

awesome thoughts, would love to hear some more. Im leaning a little to the Scott side of it all, being a colorado native i like to stick with local companies(Ross, Scott, Fishpond). Im still listining to anyone who wants to "cast" a thought out there. Tight Lines
Old 03-17-2013, 05:18 PM

renomick is on a distinguished road

I fish with a Scott S4 in a 9' 6 wt, and use it for the very purpose you intend, plus nymphing. It handles all I ask of it admirably. It loads easy, tracks smooth and recovers quickly. A few weeks back, I was looking for something new, with just a bit more reach, and since I have no underlying dislike of Sage, had been strongly considering a 10' One. I'd handled it regularly and was quite pleased with the way it felt, but in the final moments decided on the Sage ESN 10' 5 wt. I guess the One just seemed a bit too much like my S4, (not a bad thing) but I was looking for different. I think you couldn't go wrong with either, as they both feel a lot alike to me.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by renomick View Post
I guess the One just seemed a bit too much like my S4, (not a bad thing) but I was looking for different. I think you couldn't go wrong with either, as they both feel a lot alike to me.
That would clinch it for me. Like I said, I don't like the way Sage rods look. I don't like that they build on straightest visual line. Scott makes a better looking rod. Not sure if they use a straightest visual line build or not, hope not.

Seems like the Scott would be the clear choice right there.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Not for me, and I harbor no prejudice toward either company...in fact I am a long time admirer of both. S4 and ONE are both very well designed and built. But I would go with the ONE. It is a superior casting instrument compared to the very fine S4 and though a bit quicker in action it is more its light weight and more sophisticated taper/material combination that gives it and edge. I will qualify this though, the Scott is easier to cast well, the ONE involves a learning curve but is worth it. I would be happy with either drifting down the river though.