The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 AM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road
Default Switch rod help

So I finally got the go ahead from my wife to get a switch rod! I'm looking for a 7 wt 11' for Michigan steelhead. I'm trying to decide between the TFO Deer Creek and the Orvis Access. I've handled both in the store and like the looks of both. The thing that I'm really curious is about the weight difference between the two. According to the manufactures websites the 7wt TFO is 7ozs, where the Orvis is just under 5 ozs. Do you guys that use switch rods think that weight difference is noticeable? I didn't notice it much when I handled them, but on paper it makes me think. Just trying to make the decision ill be happy with for a long time. Any input would be awesome! Thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch rod help

I'm not familiar with the TFO but have picked up an Access rod in a shop. It seemed to cast pretty well given my limited time with it.

I don't think 2oz won't make that much of a difference on the rod itself. My advice would be cast both if you can to see which feels best to you. Then make a decision based on how it feels when you cast it/budget/your overall preference.

Add a reel that balances of which 2 oz could make more of a difference.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Switch rod help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_or_die View Post
So I finally got the go ahead from my wife to get a switch rod! I'm looking for a 7 wt 11' for Michigan steelhead. I'm trying to decide between the TFO Deer Creek and the Orvis Access. I've handled both in the store and like the looks of both. The thing that I'm really curious is about the weight difference between the two. According to the manufactures websites the 7wt TFO is 7ozs, where the Orvis is just under 5 ozs. Do you guys that use switch rods think that weight difference is noticeable? I didn't notice it much when I handled them, but on paper it makes me think. Just trying to make the decision ill be happy with for a long time. Any input would be awesome! Thanks.
Hi there,
I have been using switch rods for a while. I have used both the rods that you have mentioned. The 2oz weight difference is not very noticeable. But, it also depends on how you are fishing. If you are using the rod for swinging, just balance the rod with an appropriate reel (weight) and hold the rod at the balance point when you are swinging the fly. You are not going to feel the weight this way. But, if you are using the rod for nymphing, you might start feeling the 2 oz at the end of the day.

To me the swing weight of the rod is more important than the dead weight. I think the TFO feels a bit top heavy and I believe the swing weight difference is significant between the two rods.

If you are looking for a switch rod with 11' 7WT configuration, dont stop your search at Orvis or TFO.......Mystic, Beulah Classic, Echo, and Redington has some real sweet rod that are very good performers. My current 7WT switch rods are a Sage Z-axis and a Redington CPX.....I like the CPX much better than the Sage. CPX has a faster tip. My favorite switch rod is the Sage TCX.

Good luck.