The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice
Default Albright EXT/ EXR Fly Rod

I saw the prior posts about Albright and agree their pricing scheme is probably a poor Model in which to approach the buying public....especially Fly Fishermen. I just got a new email today that through Monday their EXT/EXR Fly rods that usually are on deep 80% discount for $179.99 are now $149.99. Based on the description given they seem to be in line with the newer technology rods (ie: Hardy Sintrix ) Just wondering how many people have actually ever casted their 9 foot 5 weight model. I need a new flyrod like a hole in the head but this price point is pretty interesting (regardless of the ridiculous MSRP of $899)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albright EXT/ EXR Fly Rod

I've not seen that particular rod, but I did get a two hander from them at a rediculously low price. And by rediculous I mean that I couldn't make the same rod if they gave me the blank for free. I like everything I have purchased from them, and that is a pretty darned cheap price. What I have heard about that rod is pretty good. At that price you can't go to wrong.

If you are going to do it, you might want to hurry up. The EXR's are down to just the 5 and the 8. I'll bet the 5's are close to gone. When they get down to just the 8 it might even go cheaper if you are the gambling type.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I haven't fished it. I do have and love its predecessor, the EXS, in a 5 weight, but I don't know how closely the new model (which is built quite differently) resembles the old EXS. However, as you can see from the other thread, sweetandsalt has fished the new 8 weight and liked it a lot at a $180 price, so $150 should be even better.

It is NOT in the same peer group as the best offerings from Hardy et al, though. Don't let that hype fool you. It may be a fantastic value for $150, but I'm quite sure (even without seeing one) that if you lined it up against a Zenith or Helios or Z-Axis or ZXL or BIIIx and were offered your choice of any of them for $150, you would pick one of the others.

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you are going to do it, you might want to hurry up. The EXR's are down to just the 5 and the 8. I'll bet the 5's are close to gone. When they get down to just the 8 it might even go cheaper if you are the gambling type.
They don't make anything else but a 5 and an 8. However, when they have these blowout sales it usually seems they are trying to clear out the remnants of the last shipment before the next one arrives, so they still could run out of stock.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

As usual, I agree with everything Moucheur is saying. If you speculate you are going to get a Zenith with another name on it for the quoted price....well, you are not. It is my understanding that Albright intends to introduce an entirely new lineup of rods and these rods...regardless of marketing, think of them as competing in the $289.99 price range...must go. Though built in a top shop in Korea, they utilize REC US-made reel seats and Recoil guides; unusual at this price point. Moucheur, while I said the #8 was very good and powerful; I like (or liked as I broke mine) EXS #8 better. Never-the-less, at the current pricing these rods do represent an excellent quality to price ratio with performance a full cut above some popular competing rods such as (for example) BVK. They are close to being on a par with ECHO3 but the tapers are not quite as sophisticated.