The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 PM

ctyslcr is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on St. Croix Legend Elite 6 wt

Any opinions on the St. Croix Legend Elite 6 wt. Ease of casting. Accuracy. How does it compare to some of the higher end rods like the Sage One, Winston Biiix, Orvis Helios, G.Loomis?

Thank you.

Regards,
Peter
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opinions on St. Croix Legend Elite 6 wt

personally, I do not like the sage one or the helios. Like the winston a lot. i think the use of boron and taper design has a lot to do with it. do not have any personal experience with G Loomis. As a matter of fact, I avoid rod manufacturers that are run by big name casters. I am a fisherman not a caster. I do not care how well a rod performs at 70'. What matters to me is how they perform at 40'. Stiff casting rods have very little to do with fishability and everything to do with showmanship.

The St. Croix legend Elite is a great line of rods. Good casting characteristics. A well priced rod that is also a great fishing tool.

good luck.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The St. Croix Legend Elite IS a premium rod unless the definition of premium is price alone.
St. Croix uses premium materials on the Elite's and has been using graphite scrims on them well before another, far more popular brand finally saw the light and the benefits of doing so.
I really appreciate the fact that St. Croix can build the rods here yet don't feel the need to jack the price up just because they do build them here.
As for being a casting and fishing tool, every rod you mentioned does both well... extremely well. You don't have a good fishing rod if you can't put the fly right where you want it every time. The rods you mentioned will not hinder you from doing so if you have the ability. If a rod is a bit fast for you learning to increase your line speed can help make it more usable to you. Since the cast should be stopped while the fly is still airborn, despite rumors to the contrary you can make a nice, soft presentation with a fast rod.
Surely there are a few rods out there that work better over-lined or at certain distances but we have finally reached the point where, unless you purposely seek out a one-dimensional rod for competitions or such, rod makers know they best build premiums rods that have a wide range of distances to work well in. All the above do and help protect tippets to make it easier to not break off on the hook set or from a head shake.
The Legend Elite's I've cast and own are a bit less forgiving than the others you mentioned but can still help you get fish to the hand. You might have to work on your game a bit to help you from breaking off or throwing it too far but they are a fine, premium rod that too many times gets lost behind the more expensive rods.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

When "the" 8wy shootout had such adoration for the SC Legend Elite, I went out and bought one. It is a truely great rod, easily comparable to its more expensive peers. I also have several Helios rods, as well as two Winston's, but have only limited experience with Loomis. Here is my take on the whole shebang.

If I want to cast longer than 60 feet, I reach for one of my fast action/tip flex rods. If I am fishing closer than I absolutely prefer my medium action/meid flex rods. Also if I am overly concerned with presentation, such as softly landing #20 trico's on clear shallow water, then my slower action rods are my goto rods.

IMHO slower action rods are easier to cast because it is easier to feel them load. They also handle DT lines, longbelly lines, and lines that are of the line weight labeled on them (not a half line weight heavier) much better because they do not need that extra head weight to load them.

To answer your question, the Elite is a great rod, but it is a fast action rod, and casts like a fast action rod. If you want a rod that casts more easily, I suggest a Helios/Access mid flex, or one of the Winston Biit's. Both make the casting stroke a breaze. I have not been a Loomis fan since the GL3 rods were discontinued. Thats my $.02, but to each his own.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.