The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default A good starting point?

New to the fly fishing world but have been reading alot on it, equipment and such.

Picked up a TFO Pro Special from Cabelas on sale in 8'6" 5wt, and wondering if the Orvis Encounter Large Arbor or the Orvis Clearwater reel would be the best match up for the rod.

Also considering the SA Mastery Headstart WF 5 line to complete the starter set up?

My surfing has indicated good comments on the brands noted, just wondering if these particular components will make a good starter set up for gills and crappie on the local lakes/coves, etc. here in E TN. Will be fishing from a boat, and possibly a kayak when I get up the courage to stand in the yak.

Jim
Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good starting point?

Either would probably be fine for what you're targeting. You may have seen this post, but Orvis is offering 50% off their Battenkill Barstock reels right now. That is a very good price for a nice reel that could last a long time. The sale puts it in the price range of the Clearwater and it is the route I'd go.

Oh and if you click through this link it helps support the forum when you buy from Orvis.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
New to the fly fishing world but have been reading alot on it, equipment and such.
Awesome!

Quote:
Picked up a TFO Pro Special from Cabelas on sale in 8'6" 5wt, and wondering if the Orvis Encounter Large Arbor or the Orvis Clearwater reel would be the best match up for the rod.
Either would work fine. But there are threads about the Orvis Battenkills being half off. Look into it!

Quote:
Also considering the SA Mastery Headstart WF 5 line to complete the starter set up?
Line would be fine.

Quote:
My surfing has indicated good comments on the brands noted, just wondering if these particular components will make a good starter set up for gills and crappie on the local lakes/coves, etc. here in E TN. Will be fishing from a boat, and possibly a kayak when I get up the courage to stand in the yak.
The rig will work fine. But you may want to get a spare spool with a sinking line for those lake conditions.

Dennis
Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

My son uses the orvis encounter on that same TFO rod and loves it......I also have that same reel and I am well pleased with it......but, I give a big +10 to williamhj's post about the battenkill........that is one sweet deal!!!! I have already emailed my son, and I am sure his credit card has already secured him a "new reel." Good luck in your search..... Edit......check out romanl's post in general discussion......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

I have a 4wt TFO pro. I put a Battenkill barstock on it and really like it. Balances well and works fine
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah, the orvis bbs is a killer deal!
i'd jump on it if i were you

casey

ARFE
Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies and advice. I saw the battenkill sale mentioned in another thread, but I like the looks of the Encounter style better (I am new to this sport) and the overall appearance of a fly rod with the larger reel. I had a Cabelas RLS 5wt but somehow "lost" it, apparently I left it on the top of the truck tonneau cover one day when I drove the truck to work as I cannot find it anywhere around the house.

A spare spool is a good idea, for the sinking line. Does the SA Mastery Headstart come in a sinking version as well?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

this is your reel.....large diameter, light.
http://www.rajeffsports.com/echoreel_ion.php
gets awesome reviews and is made out of metal

casey

ARFE