The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road
Default t

Randy No one answer exists but many great choices are available . Your budget is certainly high enough while mentioning Sage One and Helios 2 . The Orvis Access is great rod at lower price point as is the Winston GVX . Now the Circa which I love casting has more narrow application . If I could find a discounted new ZXL in 8'6" I would be all over that as I casted both the Winston BIIT and discontinued BIIX but got the ZXL as was more progressive action with just enough crispness to handle small nymph . Good luck and let us know you choice .
FrankB2 likes this.

Last edited by jastrout; 03-23-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: All around 4wt

I'm a big fan of my Winston BIIX 8' 4wt because of its versatility. The length and quick load are perfect for the spring creeks I fish most often, but it has enough reserve power to take a trip out west.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus View Post
Winston BIIIx 486 or 490? I have the BIIX 486 and it's a fantastic rod
What he said.

Pocono
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

You have two very fine rods that cover quite a bit of the trout fishing spectrum; an 8'8"/#4 Scott G for moderate sized creeks and the 9'/#5 Z-Axis perfect for floating line river applications. There is little point going to an 8 1/2'/#4 like the Zenith, it is too close in size and intent to your Scott. The only 4-weight option that is logical, to me not to everyone, is a more powerful 9'/#4. I like such rods for dry fly fishing on rivers where longer but delicate presentations are required. This concept was invented by Scott's Harry Wilson in the late 70's and their S4 would be an option, the new Orvis H2 could be test cast as should the NRX #4...again, loved by me but not by many others, and I would cast the ONE too. The Circa is a very full flexing, what we used to call a, "wet fly action", rod and your G is moderate in flex so, unless you cast and loved Circa, it doesn't work with what you have. There is no such thing as an "all around" #4...a specialty line size by its low mass nature. I fish three 4's; an 8' Orvis on little creeks, the Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 on spring creeks and smaller tail waters and the afor mentioned Loomis NRX on larger rivers or side channels on breathless mornings and evenings...It generates a remarkabley slender and wrinkel free loop and will alight a trico or PMD CDC emerger exactly where I want it to land; no matter how far over the mid current the fish is rising.
shimloom likes this.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM

barham will become famous soon enough

I know this sounds like a broken record on my posts, but perhaps you should check the Albright A5. I know their pricing policy is annoying but I have a 9' 5wt that I have used for years and it is a really nice rod for ca $150.00.
barham
Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Don't you have any fly shops around so you can cast and narrow things down and the rod that is just right for YOU?
Opinions are great but you have to know that biases are built in to those suggestions. The only real way to get the rod that is perfect for you is shake as many as you can yourself with the line you intend to use.
That said, test the Winston BIIIx for sure. No bias here (much!)
I just know that that they work as well at 20' as they do at distance and you can tell there's a fish on the other end when you do hook one!

Happy hunting you lucky dawg!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Try a Beulah Platinum 8'8" #4, kind of a "jack of all trades" 4 weight.

RE Sage: Circa is very much a slow action rod with good short game but is a struggle beyond 45' without a lot of effort, the One is very much a fast action rod with long range capability, but is a bit strong in close. The discontinued ZXL 8'6", #4 was very nice all-around. Might be tough to find.

RE G Loomis: GLX Streamdance 9', #4 is a faster action sniper rod, but does ok in close, GLX Whispercreek 8 1/2, #4 and 9', #4 are pretty similar to Sage Circa, and NRX is pretty similar to One.

RE Winston: BIIIx is very nice with smaller flies, but will struggle with bigger stuff and multi-fly rigs. GVX - see Circa and Whispercreek comments. Don't bother with the Chinese made Winstons.

Haven't tried the Hardy or Orvis stuff.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
I know this sounds like a broken record on my posts, but perhaps you should check the Albright A5. I know their pricing policy is annoying but I have a 9' 5wt that I have used for years and it is a really nice rod for ca $150.00.
barham
Right now they are offering their higher-quality EX model (I forget whether it's EXR or EXT, one is saltwater and one is fresh) for the same $150 price as the A-5NS. Nobody here seems to have actually fished one, though. So if you want to take a flyer on an Albright, and don't need the 5-piece configuration of the A-5, go with the EX instead.

The bigger issue than brand, I think, is what length and action you want. George Anderson's 2102 4 weight shootout surprised some people by picking a lot of rods 8' 6" and under ahead of any 9' ones. The top scoring 9 footer was the Orvis Helios mid-flex (since discontinued and replaced by the Helios 2). I suspect those results may reflect a supposition that the main purpose of a 4 should be accuracy and delicacy at closer distances and in more restricted quarters, while power and distance can be better served with a 5 or a 6 even while retaining plenty of delicacy for spooky fish. (Even if that's not Anderson's reasoning, it makes sense to me.)

Given what you you already have, I think you might want a shorter rod rather than a 9 footer, and the 8'6" Zenith and BIIIx that topped Anderson's list of all-rounder 4's ought to be at the top of your list too if an all-rounder is your preference, but as mentioned above they may be too close to the Scott you already have. If that's a concern, you should either go shorter or longer. The 7'9" Sage TXL also placed high in Anderson's rankings, but if you want a powerful 9 footer for wind and big water, you might look at the Sage One, the Orvis Helios 2 (both tip- and mid-flex), and the Loomis NRX. In particular, blogger/critic Tom Chandler has called the Loomis IMX 9' 4 wt (now several model generations ago, but I've still got mine) one of the 10 best fly rods of all time and the rod that started the original competition among builders for powerful lightline rods, and if that's what you're looking for in a 4, the NRX is a worthy successor.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i love my 9foot four weight g2 for the small to midsize tailwaters i fish makes lifting over tricky currents easy and does a great job of moderate nymphing that i do alot of. i also like my 8foot 4wt b2x for smaller waters or if i just wanna fish dries after work for a couple hours. i thought about a quicker 8.5 footer like a nrx or a or a sage one but just cant justify the money.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

Have you cast the Winston LT 489? Its designed as a dry fly rod but is fast enough for me to fish the saltwater fast for smallish Bonefish. I've fished it for the last 12 years and yet had found a 4wt rod that can replace it. Give it a try if you have not.