The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default Re: All around 4wt

In a 4 weight the Hardy Zenith 8'-6" or 9' beats them all.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM

70boss302 is on a distinguished road

Troutnut,
Hope you're right, because my Hardy Zenith 8'6" 4wt is in the mail on it's way here.

What reel should I get for it? Anyone?

Might an Abel Super 4N balance well?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70boss302 View Post
Troutnut,
Hope you're right, because my Hardy Zenith 8'6" 4wt is in the mail on it's way here.

What reel should I get for it? Anyone?

Might an Abel Super 4N balance well?
I think you will enjoy the rod. Lightweight, accurate and a joy to cast. I matched my Hardy up with a Waterworks Lamson " Speedster 1.5" and a RIO WF4F Gold.. Works for me.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

The Hopper Juan, aka Juan Ramirez - CO guide and fly tier, just posted an interesting article on the Helios2 vrs. the Hardy Zenith (in 5wt.) today, March 30th, 2013. I won't link to it but 'ya might want to peruse his findings...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

The Hopper Juan

Helois vrs a couple of Zenith models.

Of the high dollar rods,,,I bet the Zenith is impressive. I'd like to be able to cast one myself.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys! I ended up getting the Sage One 490 paired with the Ross Evolution LT. Absolutely dreamy. Cannot wait to hook up...

Thanks
Randy
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The SA GPX (plain or textured) is an ill choice for any of the rods tested in the above mini shootout (and for the ONE too). It is a course, old fashioned WF with a blunt rear taper. I use it reluctantly with a specific rod but do not like it. Great as Zenith is, it is inappropriate almost to compare it with its one-piece version. They are not the same taper with the ferrules removed, they are designed from the onset as one piece rods and are superior to the conventional 4-piece standard versions. Cast side-by-side, they are distinctly different and, inconvenience aside, are among the best fly rods ever. I wand the 4-weight real bad.

Trout Champ, enjoy your ONE #4 and put a new Gold on it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

sweetandsalt the Rio Gold is exactly what I put on her. I think it actually casts pretty good with a LT also. I was throwing the One with a Rio Grande or GPX and I told Van Rollo, my local Sage Rep, that the rod felt "dumb" with those lines. He suggested the Gold or LT. He said that the One has such small blank walls that it can be customized to whatever type of caster you are.

I actually plan on fishing or at least casting the one piece Zeniths with Juan Ramirez that was posted above. He is actually a friend of mine and we used to guide for the same outfit.

Thanks
Randy
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Randy, The ONE was designed using the Gold as its development line. I have tried Grande on it and it dulls its responses quite obviously. If you flex the one piece Zeniths beside their 4-pc. counterparts, you will be surprised how different their tapers are. Zenith and ONE are designed by two of the hippest rod designers of our time ​and a good caster could easily build his entire trout quiver between Zenith and ONE and not even sample anything else...with the possible exception of Rajeff's NRX.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Another line that does work well with ONE and Zenith too is the seminal SA "Mastery Expert Distance" line. Its name aside, it is a great presentation line designed by fly line and casting expert, Bruce Richards, and was the first WFL line to feature a 25' attenuated rear taper. I intend to test the Cortland "Trout BOSS" on these rods this Spring too.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I haven't cast the Hardy yet, maybe in a few weeks. It will need to be a sweet rod to beat my current favorite, a Scott G2 8'4". As for a reel, an Abel TR2 would be sweet on any of them. My favorite line for non-streamer/indicator fishing is the Terenzio Artificial Silk line. Check them out on the web. They are a great line.