The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default All around 4wt

"Need" an all around four weight for light fishing in Colorado that will complement my 590 Z-Axis, but not over shadow my Scott 884 G2.

I have narrowed it down to the 490 Sage One (even though they are ugly), 490 Orvis Helios 2, or go bonkers and get the 489 Sage Circa and forego the all around rod and throw dries.

Anybody have any input on the rods?

Thanks
Randy
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: All around 4wt

Sorry for throwing one at you not on your list but I love my TXL 4wt. I have a few 9' 4wts a Zaxis and Legend Ultra. I find I use the 4wt TXL a lot on on windy days where I am using hopper dropper rigs on smallish mountain streams , yet if I need to I can still get 50+ feet out there.

I did just get a ONE 390-4 and I really like it, can't speak to the 490-4 but what I have I I like so far

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
"Need" an all around four weight for light fishing in Colorado that will complement my 590 Z-Axis, but not over shadow my Scott 884 G2.

I have narrowed it down to the 490 Sage One (even though they are ugly), 490 Orvis Helios 2, or go bonkers and get the 489 Sage Circa and forego the all around rod and throw dries.

Anybody have any input on the rods?

Thanks
Randy
Of what you listed, I would rule out the Sage One. For a four weight, it doesn't load that well in close. You would be better with something not as quick. I would err towards the Helios 2 in the mid-flex version unless you really want a Sage Circa.

I'm kind of biased against fast rods in a four weight configuration. When I think four weight, I feel that it is a configuration designed more towards a gentler presentation. It is also hard to feel a fast rod load with little line out.

There are a bunch of us on the website who complement our Sage 590-4 with a Sage ZXLs. I use a 490-4 ZXL primarily as a dry fly and soft hackle rod, but I have been known to throw lighter nymph rigs.

Dennis
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

I would say an 8.5' or 9' St. Croix Legend Ultra is a great all-around 4wt. I have no experience with the rods you listed. Sorry
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Winston BIIIx 486 or 490? I have the BIIX 486 and it's a fantastic rod
Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Were it my choice, I would choose either the Circa, or a ZXL. Both are smooth casters, and either would work very well for what you're looking for.

Respects,

Richard
osok and troutnut4 like this.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

allen ats...
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
incredible rod

casey

ARFE
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

For trout can't beat a 490-4 SLT !!!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Have several rods in various configurations..the Orvis Access is a wonderful rod. In an 8 1/2 or 9ft,,,you will not beat it for a good all purpose trout rod. There are others,,but the Access is soooo smooth and alive. Wonderful 'fish on' feel too,,and isn't that the most important aspect ?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:40 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

as a big scott fan i think it will be hard to beat your g2 however an 8.5 foot b2x or legend ultra would be a great compliment a little shorter a little crisper.like was posted above i dont think fast action in four weight i think more moderate action with shorter casts and lots of feel. oh the81/2 zxl would be a great one too.