The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 1 Post By mi_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rod designation question

I was looking at Dean_Mt's thread on his Sage rod build and noticed that Sage designates a rod listing the weight first followed by the length - a 4 piece 9'6" 5wt is 596-4. I also saw that Redington does this. I learned to do the length first followed by the weight so the rod would be 965-4. I think I got that from buying Batson blanks and feel like I've seen it done that way elsewhere like Hook and Hackle's blanks. Is there a standard or is it just up to the company?

I haven't owned many rods that didn't start as blanks so this just struck me today. Not a big deal but not understanding the logic behind the different listings opens the door for some confusion. Initially I thought Dean_Mt was building a 5'9" 6wt till I saw how Sage lists the rods
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rod designation question

They vary.

St Croix uses a system like I602.2 - Imperial, 6' 0", 2wt (the first '2'), 2 pcs.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Due to the non-conforming-to-any-standard that rod makers use to designate rod models, I have tried to set, by example, NOT using such unclear numerical codes in favor of a descriptive length/line weight. Hence; 8 1/2'/#4 4pc. just can not be confused with anything but what it is. 486-4 is to me a model number not a description.
Jackster and williamhj like this.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Due to the non-conforming-to-any-standard that rod makers use to designate rod models, I have tried to set, by example, NOT using such unclear numerical codes in favor of a descriptive length/line weight. Hence; 8 1/2'/#4 4pc. just can not be confused with anything but what it is. 486-4 is to me a model number not a description.
I fully agree. Until I figured out the code with my Sag decoder ring I had to think too much with their method of rod designation.
9', 5 wt., 4 pc says it all plain and clearly.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 AM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

simply a case of pa-tay-to, pa-tah-to
wt bash likes this.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Helpful to know there's not some simple, but secret, code that explains it all