The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM

jsavo is on a distinguished road
Default In the market for a 3wt

Hey all, I'm in the market for my second fly rod. I have an Orvis Clearwater outfit in 6wt now but I'm looking for something considerably smaller. I'm looking to spend about $200 and no more than $250 for the rod. I bought a Lamson Konic 2 already for the outfit and now just need to find the right rod. Something with a good warranty is definitely a plus. I've been looking at TFO's, St. Croix, and Reddington so far but don't know which ones are best for small to medium sized trout streams/rivers and will really the best bang for my buck. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Joe
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: In the market for a 3wt

you will be looking at the TFO Finesse, or the St. Croix Imperial? redington has a new rod called the Tempt wich looks interresting with the medium action. All these rods are great quality and would serve you you well on those streams that you can step across. I also would like to get a 3wt, and maybe drop to a 6'6" to a 7'6" in length.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Check out the grey's streamflex 3 WT. They are pretty incredible. Also, Winston passport is a great 3 WT rod. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

allen ats.....
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

The St.Croix Imperial line is good. I fish a 4 wt. Imperial that is 7foot 6 inch. Very nice med fast, and accurate too. It may come in a 3 wt. or you may find the shorter 4 wt to be nice.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

you have one orvis why not another..clearwater rods are good rods
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If you could hold out till Orvis has a spring sale on their Access series,,,they are great rods. Mid flex/action. Super sensitive. You should be able to get one then for 300 or wee bit more.

Greys has a good offering of 3wts in longer lengths too.

All the other rods you mentioned are great rods also.

Enough to make ya head hurt, yes ?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add to the choices:

I really like my Echo3 3 wt 7' 6" rod. It lists for $349, but you can find them in the $250 range.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Heres more input...
1) St. Croix Avid - Very good medium action rod
2) Redington CT or the current Tempt - Again a very good medium action rod
3) LL Bean Pocket Water - Good rod + the bullet proof warranty

Beyond all the suggestions you have recd., best is to visit a local fly shop and cast what ever 3 weight rods they have in your price range. There are too many unknown variables in this case for you to get an accurate recommendations from forum members since ideal fly rod action / graphics is such a highly personal choice.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM

jsavo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for input! I'm going to try and make it to a store this weekend to try casting a bunch of the rods. Also forgot to mention I'm trying to buy it on Amazon.com because I have a bunch of credit and would make it easier on the wallet. Any experience with different company's customer service? Thanks again!