The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   TFO medium fast vs Winston fast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/314652-tfo-medium-fast-vs-winston-fast.html)

jpupo74 03-25-2013 06:36 AM

TFO medium fast vs Winston fast

Hi there,
I want to get a Winston GVX 5 weight. I learned on a 7w TFO professional and now need a smaller rod. I cannot test rods were I live so any help will be appreciated. I want to maker sure speed will not be too different. And more than a need, I just want a "cooler" rod :D
Cheers,
Jose

fly_guy12955 03-25-2013 06:49 AM

Re: TFO medium fast vs Winston fast

Winston is kewl as they come.

Jackster 03-25-2013 09:22 AM

Welcome aboard!

If you have things figured out to make that 7 weight work to your satisfaction, I'm pretty sure you will have no problem with the GVX after a few minor technique adjustments. There should be a diiference between any 5 and 7 weight so it will just take a little getting used to.
Neither of the rods you mentioned is off the charts as for being too wimbly or too stiff. You'll catch on quick I bet. If not, tweaking the line you use can customize the rod more to your taste if need be,

boomslang 03-25-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpupo74 (Post 540473)
Hi there,
I want to get a Winston GVX 5 weight. I learned on a 7w TFO professional and now need a smaller rod. I cannot test rods were I live so any help will be appreciated. I want to maker sure speed will not be too different. And more than a need, I just want a "cooler" rod :D
Cheers,
Jose

GVX is a great rod. one of the most under rated trout rods in the market. Lets keep it that way so that winston dont mark it up at $799......

I disagree with the assertion that a rod has to match perfectly to your casting stroke. Given some time and a bit of adjustment a person can get used to the positive characteristics of a fly rod.

My current rod collection range from Fiber glass, to boron, to high modulus graphite (slow to fast). I taught myself to take advantage of the strength of each of these rods. Fast action rod to pick up sink tips or punch through head wind....similarly, a delicate feather like presentation to finicky small stream trout.

what I do is try to match the rod with the right line, spend some time practice casting with it before fish with it, and try to feel the behavior of the rod. It serves me really well and I personally feel that I can cast and enjoy rods with many different type of action and characteristics.

So, if you get the GVX, slow down a bit. Get a good line and do some practice casting. you should be all set to enjoy the music of this beautiful rod.

good luck.