The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By moucheur2003
  • 1 Post By boomslang
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road
Default H2 vs H 8'6" mid flex 5 weight

I have the Helios and felt it was incredible 5 weight but my friendly shop owner is romancing me the new H 2 version. But he does not have one yet in stock Since there are few models out has anyone even casted the H2 in this model? My opinion the average caster( which I am at best) may be limited to tell difference?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: H2 vs H 8'6" mid flex 5 weight

I have cast the H2 and was really impressed. My comments here: Helios 2 vs Zenith

Didn't compare it to the original Helios so I can't tell you whether the upgrade would be worthwhile. If I were in your position and already had an 8' 6" 5 wt rod I loved, but wanted to get a new one, I would think about supplementing it rather than replacing it. Maybe a 9' 6 wt for distance, or a 7' 6" 3 or 4 wt for small streams.
mcnerney and runningfish like this.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Saying you might not be able to enjoy an advanced rod is akin to saying you can not appreciate a luxury car ride because you are a younger driver.

Go for the H2. I am sure it's a super super rod.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Apparently, orvis and other rod manufacturers figured out that by changing some number and acronyms you can sale more rods. that is why a perfectly good rod gets discontinued and then gets slapped with a different version number or acronyms. it cost more and does not do any thing better. Although, the claims that the new version cast 12.5% farther and weighs 7.9% less has some sort of placebo effect on people with deep pocket.

In my opinion most modern rods are over engineered and way surpasses the casters abilities. I wish I could get a boomslang 2.0 for a caster for the bamboo rod that I bought 15 years ago. I would probably get 30% more distance and about 50% less weight.

in other words. Don't worry about getting the H2. Orvis did not invent any miracle between 2010 and 2013. may be a few of their employees need a bump in their salary package.
rockriver likes this.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Boomslang , You basically had the smarts to say what I was thinking but was being sucked into smooth sales pitch. It is America home of the newest and latest. Thanks well spoken.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I do not own any Helios rods but have cast a bunch and fished with four; #5, 6, 8 & 9. The reason Orvis introduced H2 is not entirely for the sales pitch or newness...there were issues with original Helios largely having to do with inadequate lower taper reserve power (or power at all!). H2 introduces a totally new staff member for the Orvis rod team who was brought in to analyze and correct taper design issues pointed out by not only many of us in this forum but by G. Anderson in his Shootouts as well. Having said this, the 8 1/2'/#'s 4 & 5 were "sweet spots" in original H so I would not dispose of this rod especially as you said you think it works great for you. Can't blame your salesman for wanting to sell you a new one and go for it, not as replacement but to supplement what you have. I test cast both mid and tip-flex 9'/#5's and (not reading the writing on the blank as I switched off with a friend) slightly preferred the tip-flex. My favorite of the ones I cast was, surprisingly, the #8...a particular weak spot in H but way better in H2. True, I am a rod aficionado, but there really are design and material advancements that warrant the introduction of new rod series and, if the company makes money in the process, good for them! Take a look at the 8 1/2' or 9'/#4 in H2.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have the Helios 905-4 midflex and it is my gem. However, would never thought about getting another 5wt in any brands especially the H2 905-4. I could make my H1 to H2 just by printing an H2 sticker from my printer.

Like moucheur2003 said, I would supplement what I have with what I need.