The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM

okiplug is on a distinguished road
Default Equivalent to Sage Launch 8wt

All,

Wife is learning to cast for our upcoming bonefish trip and loves the flex/feel of a borrowed Sage Launch 8wt a rod advertised as medium-fast. Unfortunately, this rod is out of production. Are you aware of current model rods (does not have to be Sage) that offer similar characteristics?

Thanks for your help,

Glenn
Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equivalent to Sage Launch 8wt

Welcome to the forum.
Have you tried K Mart? I'm just kidding. Try looking at Ebay. People are selling them fairly often on there. You might just pick one up there.

If that fails, try going to a fly shop and try what they have there. There are a lot of rods out there, she should be able to find something she also likes. Sorry I can't give you a specific rod because I have not cast a launch. Not a fan of Sage.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Appears the Launch was one of their older entry level rods. Go look at the Approach and the Response, they are the new versions of the Vantage and Flight, and I believe the Vantage replaced the Launch.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

These guys have A launch and a flight(sage), in an 8 and a 9 wt., at heavily discounted prices.

Good luck:

http://www.roaringforkanglers.com/closeouts.htm
Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The Launch was a medium fast action "entry" level rod and the linage from the Launch has gone: Launch>Vantage>Approach. Approach being the newest of the bunch.

The FLI was a fast action "entry" level rod who's linage is: FLI>Flight>Response. Response is the latest incarnation.

Between the two, if she liked the feel of the Launch, you'd want to go Vantage which are still around on discount/closeout or Approach if the newest model is of interest. Those will be the closest to the medium fast action. Lots of folks liked the Flight for the price point but it is a fast action rod.

Going to a shop and casting a variety of current models from multiple manufacturers within your budget is always advisable if this is an option.

I can't speak to what's best for chasing bones, hopefully Sweetandsalt will see this and comment. I know he's got experience on that end.

Disclaimer: I owned 2 Launch rods, cast an FLI, but have no experience with the others in any configuration.

Last edited by jaybo41; 03-25-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Adding disclaimer
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I actually feel that my 10wt Flight is slower then my 8wt Vantage. Could just be my poor casting form though.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
I actually feel that my 10wt Flight is slower then my 8wt Vantage. Could just be my poor casting form though.
Could this have something to do with a difference in line taper/grains that you have on each rod? This is not to say that your observation isn't accurate. Some rods within a certain line perform differently than their intended design given their difference in line weight. Just wondering if the lines might be coming into play.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Well they both have Sage performance tapers on them. ( gotta love super happy clearance prices!! )

However the 8wt is standard freshwater taper, while the 10wt is the Equator II saltwater taper. I dont remember the taper charts nor really care enough to go find them, but they both cast wonderfully and the Flight looks awesome with the orange blank ( dispite what Dan might think :P )

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the Echo Solo 8wt. Might be a bit "faster" than the Launch series was (and less $). But, my memory has them very similar in castability. My wife is a "med-fast" kinda gal with her trout rods, and loves the Solo 8wt.