The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post

My conclusion: I am going to buy an Orvis Helios 76"/3wt. midflex rod when I will be the next time in the USA. Here I will take the combo with an Orvis Mirage LA I reel in gold
Since the Helios 2 rod has a "black nickel" (dark gunmetal-gray) reel seat, I would suggest getting the Mirage reel in the matching black nickel finish, rather than gold. If you are going to fish mostly small streams with it, the flashy gold is also more likely to frighten fish accidentally than the darker finish.
thorsten likes this.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Since the Helios 2 rod has a "black nickel" (dark gunmetal-gray) reel seat, I would suggest getting the Mirage reel in the matching black nickel finish, rather than gold. If you are going to fish mostly small streams with it, the flashy gold is also more likely to frighten fish accidentally than the darker finish.
Does that mean that Orvis will stop manufacturing the "normal" Helios rods with the golden reel seats? That would be sad, that finish looks more beautiful in my opinion
Furthermore, I can not find a 3wt. rod in the Helios 2 series

THORSTEN
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
Does that mean that Orvis will stop manufacturing the "normal" Helios rods with the golden reel seats? That would be sad, that finish looks more beautiful in my opinion
Furthermore, I can not find a 3wt. rod in the Helios 2 series
My understanding is that Orvis will retire the original ZG Helios models gradually as they introduce the equivalent new Helios 2 models. They are still in the middle of the changeover, with some H2 models already on the market and others not yet released. But yes, the gold ZG Helios reel seats are being replaced by "black nickel" reel seats in the H2 models. So if you want a gold reel seat, buy an original ZG Helios rod while supplies last.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
My understanding is that Orvis will retire the original ZG Helios models gradually as they introduce the equivalent new Helios 2 models. They are still in the middle of the changeover, with some H2 models already on the market and others not yet released. But yes, the gold ZG Helios reel seats are being replaced by "black nickel" reel seats in the H2 models. So if you want a gold reel seat, buy an original ZG Helios rod while supplies last.
Hello,

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS!!

I will wait until I am in the USA in October, so that I will get the chance to check the Orvis rods by myself. I hope that Orvis will also manufacture a 3 wt. Helios 2 rod. The argument with the shiny golden finish is not uninteresting and so I would also take the black finish. Yesterday evening I searched a little bit in the internet and I found on the website of RST (German manufacturer) an interessting rod:

New RST M3 delight, the carbon bamboo fly rod | RST-Fishing

The manufacturing plant is close to a customer of mine and I will get a chance to visit the company in June.

THORSTEN
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Though I have not cast the specific model in question, all the H2's I have cast have seemed markedly superior in taper to the original Helios series. Thus, unless the gold colored finish is a principal deciding factor, I would recomend the darker finish on the H2's and go with the matching reel color as per Moucheur's suggestion.
thorsten likes this.