The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix?? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/314750-any-experience-orvis-helios-hardy-sintrix.html)

thorsten 03-26-2013 06:06 AM

Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

I am thinking on an additional a light rod for dry fly fishing and I have these two rods in my personal thoughts:

1. Orvis Helios, 7´6", # 3wt.
2. Hardy Sintrix Zenith, 8", # 3wt.

Does anybody have personaln experiences with one or both of these rods? Unfortunately I have no dealer close to my home, so that I would be pleased to get some information from you in advance :fishing:

deathwish 03-26-2013 06:44 AM

Re: Any experience with Orvis Helios / Hardy Sintrix??

Hardy best rod on planet

thorsten 03-26-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathwish (Post 540826)
Hardy best rod on planet

Now I have a problem, because my friend says: "Orvis best rod on planet!" :icon_lol::icon_lol:;)

moucheur2003 03-26-2013 07:06 AM

I have not tried either of those models, but in longer 5 weight rods I found the Helios 2 to be a little more delicate at short distances and the Hardy to be a little more precise at longer distances.

The reality is, Orvis and Hardy are two of the best brands in the business, and Helios 2 and Zenith are their best rods. You won't go wrong with either one.

boomslang 03-26-2013 08:39 AM

Don't send your money to Asia to later borrow it back with interest. get the Orvis.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

p.s. there is no such thing as "best rod"....

moucheur2003 03-26-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomslang (Post 540857)
Don't send your money to Asia to later borrow it back with interest. get the Orvis.

Boomslang, Thorsten is German. It doesn't matter to him whether he buys an American rod or an English/Korean one. He just wants the best one for his purpose.

sweetandsalt 03-26-2013 10:08 AM

Thorsten, I have no experience with the #3's. In the 8 1/2'/#4 I have compared them and give Zenith the edge and, as line size gets into the 5's < the Hardy's increase their advantage. Orvis's strength has long been in the little, light line delicate small stream rods, however, and, especially in H2, you can't go wrong with either.

fly_guy12955 03-26-2013 10:32 AM

I see you want a 3wt dry fly rod,,

Consider the Orivs most seriously. Personally, I'd eye the Orvis Superfine Touch for a most outstanding dry fly rod.

If in the end, you decide against an Orvis, consider the Winston's.

thorsten 03-26-2013 12:01 PM

Hello,

Many thanks for your comments - that´s GREAT!!

I already have one RST (German brand) #3-4 wt. rod and an Orvis Frequent Flyer #3 wt. rod.
The RST rod was a one-off production in 1995 and is a little bit too "rough" and handles also a 5 wt. line, but for nymphs it is OK (I guess they shorten a 5 wt. rod). The Frequent Flyer is a very nice rod, but I use the Frequent Flyer just for travelling and it also a little bit too long (8´6").

Because of that I am looking for a real sensitive, shorter rod for the fine dry fly fishing (or very light nymphs), which has a first-class workmanship
:fishing:

runningfish 03-26-2013 12:04 PM

I know you are asking about a 3wt not a 5 or 7. However, since I just recently bought the Helios and the Zenith, I feel I should chip in. I bought a Helios 7wt for bass. The 7wt Helios is a great rod, powerful, precise and easy to cast just like my helios 5wt. However, as much I liked the helios 7wt, I returned it and bought the Hardy Zenith 7wt instead.
The Zenith is more like the NRX and the Helios blended together, the tip is more sensitive, and unbelievable strong material (I am pretty much gullible), cost less and light as well.

If I had the money I would keep the Helios 7wt as well. My personal preference is going for the Zenith.